Commercial Pandora Games

E

Enoch Dew

I know that this would essentially go against everything that open source is about, but would it be theoretically possible for a line of commercial games to be made for the Pandora? Would they have to go through any legalities because the openness of the Pandora? And would it be feasible (security wise) for such games to be sold on a network like PlayStation Network or to be sold on encrypted SD cards? Just a thought that occurred to me.

I know that this would essentially go against everything that open source is about, but would it be theoretically possible for a line of commercial games to be made for the Pandora?
You're wrong about that going against open source. It doesn't go against free software, either. What goes against both is proprietary programs, whether they cost anything or not.

As for commercial games on the Pandora, two already exist on the Repo: Arora Rift 32X and PolloPollo. VVVVVV is also commercial, though what you download on the Repo is a free-of-cost demo.

It is already possible to sell games via the repo, and the developer gets the full amount of sales money made there.

He CAN include some copy protection into the game, though that probably won't work well with the repo (unless he sells keys himself).

The Pandora is open, no licenses needed from us.

You want to sell a game? Code it and simply do so :)

Hi Enoch,

Oddly enough the open nature of the Pandora makes it incredibly easy to make commercial software for the Pandora, in fact there are a couple of commercial games on the Repo.

Think of it this way : If you make a game for the Pandora and decide to sell it then that's entirely your prerogative, however if you make a game for a non open system then you have to have it approved & checked by Nintendo, Sony etc.

The issue with commercial software on the Pandora is the relatively small user base.

EDIT : :ph34r: :ph34r:

Thanks for the insight. Even though I've been following this project for a while, I'm still a noob. :wacko:

keep in mind that arora rift only has 40 purchases, and pollopollo has 10(the two commercial games on repo). and i wouldnt be surprised if some free pnd's made more money out of donations alone

The issue with commercial software on the Pandora is the relatively small user base.

+1

altho aside from a few very unusual hackish weirdness, its a mostly normal Linuxen.

easy enough to support if you actually have the device and maintain an otherwise regular linux version.

[...] or to be sold on encrypted SD cards?

I though about this option and personally wouldn't go that way.

I would hate to have to swap SD cards every time I want to play some game, on consoles I prefer the download versions of games because of the awesome no-swapping-disk feature.

I don't want to put my friendly honest supporting clients through this bullshit.

If I was to put in some DRM, it would need to suffer no disadvantage other than the obligatory purchase and the download/install step for each devices (Pandora+SD combination).

Otherwise its a total waste of time and effort that will backfire in your face.

And I'm saying this as a professional game developer.

keep in mind that arora rift only has 40 purchases, and pollopollo has 10(the two commercial games on repo). and i wouldnt be surprised if some free pnd's made more money out of donations alone

+1

from a user point of view, I'll buy only the game that I am sure I will enjoy while I might donate for any software that I tried and liked. by going free you'll have a bigger userbase, that mean more possible donation.

in anyway don't expect to live with it I'dd think, there's to few pandora for that...

Yeah, If you already sell your games on ios and android, putting them for sale for the Pandora is a nice addition, but only selling for Pandora might not get you the amount of money you want right now.

The user base would definitely be the problem.

I would hate to have to swap SD cards every time I want to play some game, on consoles I prefer the download versions of games because of the awesome no-swapping-disk feature.

If I were to do it(which I don't think I will) I would have the option of getting a downloadable version or the SD card medium. I'm the kind of guy that will not buy a used game if there is no case and never get the downloadable versions (when I have the option of a medium). I like to have the actual physical game, case, and manual. Makes it more real or more collectable I guess. "To each their own" as they say.

Back