Commercial Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
'RajTakhar' said:
IMHO the problem with games like Repton (which is one of my all-time favourites) or Princ eof Persia (another) and so on is that we're already going to be able to play these under emulation - the BBC Micro Repton works fine on the GP2X so should hardly struggle on the :pandora1: , and it sounds like the Amiga emulator is running "full speed" so Prince of Persia should run perfectly there (FAR better than PoP under DOSBox on the GP2X!!).

From my reading, at least, what Craig/OP are considering/looking for is commercial games that, if OP paid for a port, would bring more customers to buying a :pandora1: . So smaller indie producers who might be porting to :pandora1: ANYWAY (like Jamie Woodhouse seems likely to port Qwak) and games that will run perfectly well under emulation (like Reprton and Prince of Persia) probably don't fit that bill - they won't increase the :pandora1: user base.

Ta,

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe its nice to do something with apogee

CODE
http://www.apogeesoftware.com/company.php

they are back and the pandora is all about retro :)

I'd love to see the original duke nukem's on pandora :) they are ported to the DS already so panda should be peanuts

from their site :

As the original champion of independent developers, Apogee is always interested in working with new teams and discussing the potential of their portfolio. We have always taken pride in providing a valuable service to the developer, not only as a publisher, but as a partner in the development process.

Apogee takes care of the heavy lifting of publishing a game, including marketing & promotion, distribution, and fullfillment. Apogee offloads these critical tasks, allowing you to focus on developing the next award-winning title.

We publish games for all the current and upcoming platforms. We are currently investigating new methods of distribution and publication to maximize profits for each product.

might be nice for some members here

'Bosbeetle' said:
I'd love to see the original duke nukem's on pandora :) they are ported to the DS already so panda should be peanuts
Or you could just run them in Dosbox.

'arrrgh' said:
'Bosbeetle' said:
I''d love to see the original duke nukem''s on pandora :) they are ported to the DS already so panda should be peanuts

Well maybe a bit enhanced, and who knows what type of nice new games apogee could bring, and its always nicer to run native as opposed to via an emulator. imo

'Bosbeetle' said:
'arrrgh' said:
'Bosbeetle' said:
I''''d love to see the original duke nukem''''s on pandora :) they are ported to the DS already so panda should be peanuts

Well maybe a bit enhanced, and who knows what type of nice new games apogee could bring, and its always nicer to run native as opposed to via an emulator. imo

A native port is definately superior to running under emulation - but would a native Duke Nukem sell more :pandora1: than being able to emulate the original Duke Nukem?

Sounds like they are actually working on new Duke Nukem content, probably building on the Zodiac Duke Nukem game etc. Getting ports of that might be cool but I'd first like to see what they come up with. The Zodiac version was nothing to write home about.

I'd say approach iD software and get the Doom 3 / Quake 4 or Quake Wars engine ported. They plan to release the source down the road anyway, and the engine would open up alot of development possibilities.

I'm having trouble selecting game engines to work on myself -_-;;

arrrgh said:
You could... But wouldn't it be nicer if you could use the full power of the Cortex-A8 and OpenGL?

I would think people would like that sort of thing. Cleaner look, etc. And it's not only possible, it's something that's very likely to happen so long as you've got the assets. Same goes for Shadow Warrior as well.

OrR said:
Sounds like they are actually working on new Duke Nukem content, probably building on the Zodiac Duke Nukem game etc. Getting ports of that might be cool but I'd first like to see what they come up with. The Zodiac version was nothing to write home about.
Heh... I suspect that if they're on good terms with Ken Silverman, they might be able to get rights to use the Polymost re-work of Build and wouldn't mind a commercial re-spin of Duke and Shadow Warrior if it looked to make them a smidge of cash. I'll nose around a bit and see what I can find out.

I'd be really into a nice RTS game if they managed to license one of those, like red alert 2 or something. Warcraft 3 would be pretty cool too. It would probably be hard to get liceneses from EA and Blizzard though. I think World of Goo would be cool, but I'm not sure I'd buy it again as I've already completed it, I'd just remember how to do them all.

Neverwinter Nights has already been mentioned, but put my vote down as well. It has graphics that will shine on such a small screen. It has a great story for single player (as well as add-on modules), plus there are options for multi-player (making the Pandora a good fit). I think the way the game plays would work perfectly for a touch screen. There are a lot of FPS ports available already, so I think NWN fills a niche that people want, but will not be overshadowed by things already available.

I can dream, can I not? While I am dreaming, maybe we can get Neverwinter Nights 2.

(Excuse the stilted phrasing. Single quotes removed due to broken escaped quotes in the forum.)

'Tripmonkey_uk' said:
'TJFBryant' said:
PLease take into account porting over apps for the pandora as well.
Not EVERYONE will just be using the Pandora for gaming... consider commercial apps for download.
Not a bad idea actually.
I've noticed that the other hand helds get decent publicity and exposure when musicians take them on tour etc.
Maybe porting something like eJay or one of the other console friendly music apps, will help to get Pandora a bit of the lime light :)

Howabout Some Guitar Effects software? I have a Vypyr 75 watt which has a USB B port for interfacing with a computer via USB A. a panda would let me use more presets on-stage!

Lots of great suggestions. I think Neverwinter Nights would be one of the best options to pursue. It's almost 7 years since it came out and there's still plenty of support for it from the community. the amount content made for it is amazing (5'000+ modules!).

Baldur's gate has been mentioned, though I don't think there's any chance of getting a port for that anymore. I remember reading the source code had been lost (or not available), but don't quote me on that. However the gemRB project will allow us to play all the infinity engine games and potentially completely new games made with the engine.

GemRB is not quite complete yet and I'm not sure how many people are actively working on it.

Craigix, maybe spending some money on getting GemRB updated more often would be a good investment.

Also I think getting as many non-gaming applications on the Pandora would be a great idea. The UMPC aspect of the Pandora is a huge selling point.

'Monk' said:
From my reading, at least, what Craig/OP are considering/looking for is commercial games that, if OP paid for a port, would bring more customers to buying a :pandora1: . So smaller indie producers who might be porting to :pandora1: ANYWAY (like Jamie Woodhouse seems likely to port Qwak) and games that will run perfectly well under emulation (like Reprton and Prince of Persia) probably don't fit that bill - they won't increase the :pandora1: user base.
Honestly, you won't increase the user base if you have ONE, I repeat: ONE, commercial game.
I tell you what, NO ONE on this earth would buy a Handheld for over $300 to play ONE game.

The money should be used, as already mentioned, to produce a quality SDK. Not just a toolchain. A full blown SDK. With an emulator, maybe some tools to convert open GL stuff to GL ES 2.0 and so on. If it is easy for indy studios to convert their game to the P then they will do it automatically.

And make sure EVERY codec for video playback is available. Don't mention Mplayer.. AFAIK they use the windows codecs. We need optiomised DSP codecs for the oMAP. Talkin gbout 720p or 1080p here. Yeah, we can't replay it in this resolution, but when I get a file which usses 720p i don't want to transcode it before I watch it.

VLC, Creature XL, not sure how it manages codecs but it works 'out of the box' on the 4 different home OS's i've tried and 3 portable ones. Also, of course no one buys it for one commercial game. But that one commercial game may propel it to higher popularity, more news sites picking up on it, and bringing in interested people who come for the commercial game but stay for everything else so to speak

If we get one good commercial game, that will at least make other big game companies take us [edit: more] seriously.
Then we will have more good games from huge companies, then we will have more consumers, then we'll have won the game.

Spend the money on making a very developer friendly site, with everything a developer needs to know to develop on the Pandora, and a place to host and showcase the latest and greatest games and applications for it. This is one of the biggest reasons for wanting to buy a Pandora, the software, so push for an official and professional site for one! If this doesn't come to be, perhaps a few people in the community are interested in doing one ourselves?

A good driving game would be pretty cool. Something like Gran Turismo or Flatout. The opensource ones that i have tryed aren't very good. id rether money was spent on getting the pandoras out and the second batch out.

PoisonedV, lulzfish - exactly.

Of course no-one will buy a $300 to play a single $50 commercial game. Or a $30 one. But... well, the more visible the :pandora1: is, the more it will get noticed. If having "World Of Goo" (to which I have become addicted, thank you very much fellow forumites!) were to get the Pandora noticed by a wider public then it would likely sell better. Not to play that game, but because of the increased publicity.

While a specific game (or games - I don't think Craig has necessarily limited himself to one game?) may just tip the feature vs cost equation from "on the fence" to "buy a Pandora" for a VERY limited number of people, it seems to me it's more a marketing exercise. The more OP can broaden the market, the greater their potential sales. Which needn't be a bad thing for any of the rest of us, as the broader the OP market the more software we are likely to see come to the platform, and so on - hopefully a snowball effect.

Ta,

PS quick edit - having said which, I'd love to have very good development tools for the Pandora - both at serious Dev level and at intermediate level and absolutely beginner level (give me a good BASIC that can compile to stand-alone executable and has a lot of modern features - like 3D - and runs at a decent speed and I'd be pretty happy to knock out the odd utility for myself!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back