Commercial Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shadow of the Colossus fits all of those [Though it was pretty popular, it was not hugely so], but it'll take a bit of convincing [read: a lot of convincing] for Sony and the SOTC team to make it happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to do it really then better to pick just one from all games proposed in this thread.

And do this one, real good.

That will do miracles to Pandora's popularity.

I suggest to get the crazy bobs game guy to make his bobs game exclusively for the Pandora. Maybe he might do it since nintendo pissed him off...

Some great suggestions in this thread already. What about some of the games that Loki Software previously ported to Linux. I'm not sure who owns the rights and source code to these games, but there are some diverse and high-quality titles there like Alpha Centauri, SimCity 3000, Decent 3, etc. And since Loki was able to get the rights to do these ports, chances are, the original owners are at least willing to talk.

Are there any MUGEN clones that could realistically be acquired? This seems like something that would fill a niche in the market. I assume MUGEN itself is out of the question.

Some sort of MMORPG? I'm not sure what would work in the context of the Pandora, and I don't even play these games myself, but if you could get a fan base started on one, it could really drive some sales. Especially if it directly connected to existing PC servers.

Some kind of top tier RPG game... Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Temple of Elemental Evil, Fallout 1 or 2, etc. My guess is that these types of games are complex enough that you won't see something comparable come out of the homebrew community. Same goes for RTS (Starcraft port?) and resource management games (SimCity or a more recent Civilization game?)

I also second the request for System Shock 2.

--Zero

Still how epic would it be if goldeneye source was on the pandora? portable goldeneye. if not goldeneye source a n64 emu. PLus, I still think halo (1,2,3, odst or wars) would be great on the pandora. In my opinion, Halo wars would be awesome on the pandora.

Getting a MMORPG on the pandora would be much more expensive than anything else. There's constant client updates/patches and it wouldn't simply be a 1 time cost to get a Pandora port, because the codebase for the Pandora client would have to be constantly maintained.

Anyways the type of games I'd like to see most on the Pandora are JRPG or action RPG types (ie: Tales of series, later Ys series), I couldn't see myself playing many FPS games on this because I would be frustrated with the analog for aiming just as much as I would playing a FPS game on any console. FPS games for me requires a mouse.

The pandora has perfect setup to play the original two Halos'. the original xbox had two analogs sticks, a b x y, right trigger and left trigger. which is what the pandora has.

As I play a lot of games with my son, I have become quite friendly with the Pacman and Frogger games on the PC like :

Pacman World 2 and 3
Frogger 2: Swampy's Revenge
Frogger Adventures: The Rescue

Guess that this will never happen....

D)

hey, I don't know if other people would be interested, but I think it would be a good idea to get an X-Plane port.
they're a small company, have a linux and an iPhone port already and since microsoft recently ceased development of flight simulator, x-plane is the market leader in flight sims.
would anyone be interested besides me in that port?

Maybe, but the Pandora seems more suited to a combat arcade flight simulator than a realistic one.
I think it would depend a lot on the price, and how good the map data is. [Since it has to fit on an SD card one way or the other]

Ze_ro said:
Some great suggestions in this thread already. What about some of the games that Loki Software previously ported to Linux. I'm not sure who owns the rights and source code to these games, but there are some diverse and high-quality titles there like Alpha Centauri, SimCity 3000, Decent 3, etc. And since Loki was able to get the rights to do these ports, chances are, the original owners are at least willing to talk.

Unfortunately, Scott Draeker of Loki games also shafted many of those studios and publishers to the tune of millions across all of them at the end. My take on the ones you've mentioned:

Alpha Centauri - Maybe. Need to talk with Firaxis about it since it's their baby. I'd love to get permission for a respin via any publisher (LGP or GoG) for Linux and Pandora for that one.

SimCity 3K - EA. Forget this one. Serious.

Descent 3 - Maybe. Interplay's got Descent available via Good Old Games for a $5.99 download. We could talk with them on the subject and see if they've got the port code. If so, it's a front-runner for things just like Alpha Centauri.

Hmm imagine if World of Warcraft got ported over lol. How many people would want a portable WoW device :eek:

TheGoodDoktor said:
You mentioned in previous postings that you've worked on some Acclaim titles. Since they've gone bust you might be able to pick up the rights to some of their games quite cheaply. E.g. Revolt, Forsaken, Shadow Man, etc.
It goes without saying that TheGoodDoktor DOES make a very good point here. ;)

To be sure, I'd love to see some of those get scooped up if it's possible.

Kekerot said:
Hmm imagine if World of Warcraft got ported over lol. How many people would want a portable WoW device :eek:
Heh...keep dreaming... This is Vivendi you're talking about here... :D

It'd be one thing if there were 50k pandoras out in the field. 4k total is worse than a teardrop in an ocean's worth of profit there. :D

'Svartalf' said:
TheGoodDoktor said:
You mentioned in previous postings that you've worked on some Acclaim titles. Since they've gone bust you might be able to pick up the rights to some of their games quite cheaply. E.g. Revolt, Forsaken, Shadow Man, etc.
It goes without saying that TheGoodDoktor DOES make a very good point here. ;)

To be sure, I'd love to see some of those get scooped up if it's possible.

'Kekerot' said:
Heh...keep dreaming... This is Vivendi you're talking about here... :D

It'd be one thing if there were 50k pandoras out in the field. 4k total is worse than a teardrop in an ocean's worth of profit there. :D
Oh I know it will never happen lol. Plus I don't think Pandora has enough memory to handle the game. I just know people go nuts when they hear WoW is running on small devices and it gets lots of publicity.

If WoW was ported to Pandora,

Scratch the comment I was about to make. If WoW could plausibly work on a device with such a limited keyboard and a small screen, that device would sell like hotcakes.
However, I don't think most WoW players will be able to work with just 43 keys and 800 by 480, if they even need a mobile WoW client.

Also, everything that's been said about updating a MMORPG for two architectures goes here. It's not practical. It would get Pandora a lot of business, but it would be a pain to do.

'lulzfish' said:
If WoW was ported to Pandora,

Scratch the comment I was about to make. If WoW could plausibly work on a device with such a limited keyboard and a small screen, that device would sell like hotcakes.
However, I don't think most WoW players will be able to work with just 43 keys and 800 by 480, if they even need a mobile WoW client.

Also, everything that's been said about updating a MMORPG for two architectures goes here. It's not practical. It would get Pandora a lot of business, but it would be a pain to do.

Yea playing MMOs with a tiny keyboard looks pretty uncomfortable. Check out this guy playing on an OQO lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPphoPNWR8s

a few quick points and general considerations:

i think we should try approaching small IP holders with the offer of doing the port for them (under the respective legal conditions) - many dev studios would not bother with a user base of 4k, unless they had resident pandora fans. so we can forget about id's titles and the likes - those companies would never spend the resources for such a project.

also, when speaking about contemporary titles, we should be seeking among the low-profit ones on the ds, psp & iphone - devs who have sold 20-30k of their tiles would likely not mind selling 3-5k more. and before anybody makes the remark - a commercially-unsuccessful game can be a good game too. games undersell (or "bomb") for various reasons, not all having to do with the actual quality of the game.

also, for titles originating on the iphone or the ds, we could have shorter porting spans, due to the architectural similarities (read: various hand-crafted assembly code would not need be re-written from scratch) and reproducible control interfaces (apparently the ds moreso than the iphone).

last but not least, there exist a few titles i'd be willing to do a port of for free (alas in my spare time), if we just got the ip owners blessing. one of those titles is mekensleep's soul bubbles - that game is a freaking revelation, and its presence on the pandora would simply make us pandorians better persons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back