Cases, colors and emails

Why all the hate for white? I think an ivory/ebony pairing (case/keys) could look classy.
I tried (and failed horribly) to create a layer mask in Photoshop that would just be the face of the device without any of keys or buttons. Basically, I would like it if the back/edges/trim were all black, and the face (just the front face around the keys and around the screen) was white. I think it would contrast nicely. Closed, it looks exactly like the black render, but when it's open, you can see the white.

Everything's going to be un-fixed in June? That seems somewhat counter productive. ;)
(Edit: I think you mean "by", not "until") :)
Actually I know a lot of people from Poland, Germany, Russia, Czech Republic, and Slovak Republic and many of them would quite often use "until" where they clear meant "by" and vice-versa (mainly the ones who aren't native English speakers.)

I've long suspected it comes from differences in syntax/structure in when translating ones thoughts (which tend to be in one's native/default language) to English on the fly. In other words, it likely makes more sense in the native language and just doesn't translate so cleanly verbatim in English.

Or something like that.

English:
before [event] = at some point -> event -> never
not before [event] = no -> event -> at some point
until [event] = always -> event -> never
not until [event] = no -> event -> at some point

So not before == not until, but before != until. English is weird!

Why all the hate for white? I think an ivory/ebony pairing (case/keys) could look classy.
I'm really hoping for white as well, be my first choice
Personally i'd like to see from a consumer standpoint. White, Black/dark grey/gun metal, and a red or other "different' color. That selection would cover most of your bases

The wood grain would look great in a really dark grey. :)
Like weathered wood that was buried? I kinda like that. I still prefer a solid color.

Gosh. The woodgrain looks too 1970's tacky for me. I'm pretty sure we won't be getting faux woodgrain anyhow.
It will be used for games from back then, might as well go with woodgrain. Pyra 2600. I will go for the all black one. :p

@Grench should just get the regular prototype. There is no need for all the extra eMMC storage and RAM. He told me so. :p
[doublepost=1463609420,1463609245][/doublepost]
I'm really hoping for white as well, be my first choice
Personally i'd like to see from a consumer standpoint. White, Black/dark grey/gun metal, and a red or other "different' color. That selection would cover most of your bases
Eventually that might happen. Right now we are only looking at hundreds of units, and he needs to please the most people with only 2, or maybe 3 colors. I am kinda surprised he is considering more than one color for the first batch, but I don't know the cost of everything for one batch of cases, and how many cases that produces.

Sorry if this has come up in another thread, but, if there was a way for us to have individual cases made to order by the Greece factory, how many people would pay a premuim to ED and Dragonbox shop to have one (or two) made? I'm not bothered what colour it comes the first time, I like the clear but if comes black and I can then order any colour after, yay custom cases!

That premium price would probably too high. It doesn't make sense firing the machine up for anything below 500 cases, and with all the different molds... well, you could get 500 cases for 2500 EUR or so, if that's what you'd like to pay for a custom color... (that's only for normal colors though, the special ones like wood or carbon would be more expensive).

With that price I think the community MIGHT be able to fund limited case runs of fun colors. Charge a bit more than they cost (10-15 Eurobucks) and do preorders for popular colors (like clear, because it is a color) and when the money is there they can get made. It should wait until we have them in our hands, but at least we now know about what we need to raise to get custom colors.

Anyone else interested in Extreme Green?

By 'clear' I take it you mean what scientists call colourless (because translucent colours are also partially clear, for example). Hence, no 'clear' is not a colour, it is colourless ;)

ED, how much would a run of 500 case lid tops cost?

The thought here, is that like with some of the NDS Lite color choices , only have the top of the lid in any color. This should be cheaper to do and thus open the door for more color options.

They actually look a lot better than the pure colors as well IMO, the pure colors look toyish and cheap. Actually I used to sell NDS Lites, the two tones along with black were more popular IMO than the pure colors. The black interior is better to prevent reflections also.

Last edited:
It will be used for games from back then, might as well go with woodgrain. Pyra 2600. I will go for the all black one. :p

Simple modding with a sticker ...

Render-Front-2600.jpg

With that price I think the community MIGHT be able to fund limited case runs of fun colors. Charge a bit more than they cost (10-15 Eurobucks) and do preorders for popular colors (like clear, because it is a color) and when the money is there they can get made. It should wait until we have them in our hands, but at least we now know about what we need to raise to get custom colors.

Excellent idea, just the sort of thing I was thinking about. Sure they'll be expensive, and so they should be, they're custom cases.

Back