Current statistics and some predictions

Why cancel those? They are still money to help Ed. What Ed can do is secretly upgrade those to the 4GB versions and don't tell nobody here or even to those who preordered those 13. Let them find out once they received their units. :)
So, shall I cancel the 4GB order, and replace an order for the 2GB? :)

Why cancel those? They are still money to help Ed. What Ed can do is secretly upgrade those to the 4GB versions and don't tell nobody here or even to those who preordered those 13. Let them find out once they received their units. :)
ED could only populate the half of the ram-chips of some boards and actually sell 2GB versions.
Or there is a problem with the 4GB version an the first batch will be only 2GB and the 4GB will be a later upgrade-version.

Lets not discuss about non existent eggs and wait for new informations from ED

IIRC, ED mentioned that there might be few enough 2GB orders to just use the sample 2GB RAM sticks that he got (technically 4x512 MB sticks). if that's the case, it will save money to keep the 2GB versions ;).

Any ideas on a realistic date for Batch 1? There will soon be enough preorders for 1000 units.

My prediction:

- Prototypes in August
- Prototype run #2 in September (To fix unexpected stuff)
- Production shipping in December

Does that sound realistic?

I'd love to get a unit before Christmas if possible :) But I know there is a lot that go wrong!

Can't wait.

Any ideas on a realistic date for Batch 1? There will soon be enough preorders for 1000 units.

My prediction:

- Prototypes in August
- Prototype run #2 in September (To fix unexpected stuff)
- Production shipping in December

Does that sound realistic?

I'd love to get a unit before Christmas if possible :) But I know there is a lot that go wrong!

Can't wait.

I hope:

-prototypes in july
-hardware issues and bigger software-bugs fixed end of august
-first batch run in september/october

that's optimistical, but I'm crossing fingers. at the end ED will know, when it's time to start production :)

... and then?

Well, while 1500 sold Pyras get us enough funds back to produce them from stock, we still have to pay back 300k EUR to our investors who supported us when the Pandora was in an almost bottomless pit.

To be able to do that, we need to sell a total of 3000 units.

If we can achieve that, I'll be a happy camper. Finally!

Did I understand it correctly: There are also some "depts" because of the Pandora and you are now planing to pay them back through the Pyra? And for that, you have to sell 3000 Pyra?

still some debts from the pandora, but with 3000 pyras sold ED will be in the black. (so apparently about 100 euros in the Pyra is helping to pay off debts and keep ED afloat. a sinking dragon is not a better alternative!)

ED took investments from the community to re-start the Pandora production. The business plan saw those investments being repaid after whatever-followed (which was only barely in consideration at the time) was released, assuming it even was released.

ED took investments from the community to re-start the Pandora production. The business plan saw those investments being repaid after whatever-followed (which was only barely in consideration at the time) was released, assuming it even was released.

Ah okay, understood. But why re-starting the Pandora production? As I read, a lot of people will not buy a Pyra because they have a Pandora and for them, that's enough. I don't know, if there are a lot of people, who wants a pandora and a pyra, aren't there? I think, that it hasn't more benefits than the Pandora (if you still have one) to spend again so much money for a new better one.

still some debts from the pandora, but with 3000 pyras sold ED will be in the black. (so apparently about 100 euros in the Pyra is helping to pay off debts and keep ED afloat. a sinking dragon is not a better alternative!)

I think, "if" 3000 pyras are sold. At the moment, as I read (so not sure), we are approx. at 800 pre-ordered Pyras? So 3000 is a loooong way.

I think, "if" 3000 pyras are sold. At the moment, as I read (so not sure), we are approx. at 800 pre-ordered Pyras? So 3000 is a loooong way.
Let's hope then, that those who wouldn't preorder, but rather wait to see videos showing its capabilities and reviews, are the majority. Not so far fetched, is it?

I don't know, if there are a lot of people, who wants a pandora and a pyra, aren't there? I think, that it hasn't more benefits than the Pandora (if you still have one) to spend again so much money for a new better one.

...I already use a 1G-Pandora. But because of some advantages (better soc, more ram, better display, better key mat, hdmi-out, integrated umts, ...) I preordered my pyra (I guess a lot of other people here did that too).

Pandora is a nice little gadget, but pyra is much more sophisticated.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G901F mit Tapatalk

Let's hope then, that those who wouldn't preorder, but rather wait to see videos showing its capabilities and reviews, are the majority. Not so far fetched, is it?
What happenened if not? I also preordered the pandora, waited for it more than 2 years and my expertations were bigger than that, what I got. Reviews could also be bad and maybe people are now getting more interested in other handhelds like the GPD Win.

Maybe I am wrong. I don't know the numbers of pre-orders Pandoras and the interest of it after preordering. But I think, that the price makes it really unattractive. If I would buy again a handheld like that,the focus is on playing old games like SNES, NES or Megadrive. Everything else is a plus. But that's only my expertations.

Pandoras still sell out of ED's shop whenever he adds them. The 3000 don't need to sell right away...he hasn't even started mass production, so it seems a bit early to be judging Pyra sales.

What happenened if not? I also preordered the pandora, waited for it more than 2 years and my expertations were bigger than that, what I got. Reviews could also be bad and maybe people are now getting more interested in other handhelds like the GPD Win.

Maybe I am wrong. I don't know the numbers of pre-orders Pandoras and the interest of it after preordering. But I think, that the price makes it really unattractive. If I would buy again a handheld like that,the focus is on playing old games like SNES, NES or Megadrive. Everything else is a plus. But that's only my expertations.

Even with the WIN, in a poll, 53% of people said they wouldn't back/pre-order it, but rather wait for it to launch and decide after looking at reviews. So I think it will be the same with the Pyra. Probably more so, given a lot of people are probably once bitten , twice shy after the Pandora pre-orders.

@Serenity I hadn't been there for the Pandora era, but from what I take away around here, the Pyra will score, where the Pandora did and where it didn't. For now I'm rather optimistic, 'til ED posts pictures from his newly purchased island or something. :)

@Serenity I hadn't been there for the Pandora era, but from what I take away around here, the Pyra will score, where the Pandora did and where it didn't. For now I'm rather optimistic, 'til ED posts pictures from his newly purchased island or something. :)

Nice to hear, that there are a lot of people very optimistic.
The Pandora era was a little bit different then today. There were only the GP2x F100/F200 (i don't remember exactly), the Wiz and the PSP for alternatives. Now, there are a lot of more handhelds like that, most comes from GPD. Also, Smartphones weren't so common during the pre-orders of Pandora. Time is changing really quickly...

Times are changing, but not everyone wants that change.
Take a look at OSes for example: They start to gather your personal details to report them back to the manufacturer who will sell them.
That's the case with most modern computer devices - Smartphones, PCs, everything.

That's annoying for a lot of people, a change in the modern world many do not want.

Also, Windows 8 started to open everything like PDFs, etc. in fullscreen. It's a desktop PC, why couldn't it use proper windows as before?

Also, what happened to keyboards on smartphones?
My family uses the latest Android phones. Yes, they are fast, but each time I have to help them, the missing keyboard annoys me. That's why I'm still using my old Droid 4.

Change happens, and it's good. But that doesn't mean old things are outdated. They're just different. But some WANT it different.

Computing devices don't always improve overtime, they also degrade. They are made for a mass market now, but devices for users outside that market are mostly being ignored, they are rare.

But still, on a worldwide scale, those small user groups are large enough for these devices to exist.

Back