Cases, colors and emails

Does that include the carbon fiber or whatever that is supposed to be on that arm rest or whatever it is?
The lighter woven looking piece? That might be permissible, but to be honest I assume 'textured' pieces like that are more expensive. I've no idea how you get injection moulding to do that.

The plan is to have everything fixed by middle / end of June. That includes implementing the hardware changes into the PCB design files, so that we can order the PCBs afterwards (production of those will take about 6 weeks).
I thought that the (main) PCB was finished long time ago, what happend? Or do you mean the CPU board?

This reminded me of EDs post when he went to Greece to visit the case manufacturer. He posted some pics of the available textures and colors.
I like the dark carbon look in the second picture (right piece). The burl look is also nice, a little bit to glossy but an interesting idea for an Handheld surface. :)

FWIW, I think that is a wall socket cover.
Maybe. It looks nothing like the ones over here.
The lighter woven looking piece? That might be permissible, but to be honest I assume 'textured' pieces like that are more expensive. I've no idea how you get injection moulding to do that.
They are, and ED said something like that will be used for a special edition. I think another process (by another company?) is used to apply it. It was all in the old post.

The myrtle and walnut burl looking pieces should not show fingerprints the same as plain plastic would. Real burr wood french polished with shellac is glossy and fingerprints are visible if you know where to look, but from any sort of distance they're masked by the graphical texture, so practically invisible.

However, I think we can dismiss these pieces, since ED has already added a physical texture to the moulds to make the results matte and grippy. Looking closely, even the silver piece has a slight graphical texture to it, to resemble brushed aluminium, presumably. Maybe the wood grain effect used in the plug cover piece would work on a matte surface, and not look out of place, but I'm not as keen on those colours personally.

The myrtle and walnut burl looking pieces should not show fingerprints the same as plain plastic would. Real burr wood french polished with shellac is glossy and fingerprints are visible if you know where to look, but from any sort of distance they're masked by the graphical texture, so practically invisible.

However, I think we can dismiss these pieces, since ED has already added a physical texture to the moulds to make the results matte and grippy. Looking closely, even the silver piece has a slight graphical texture to it, to resemble brushed aluminium, presumably. Maybe the wood grain effect used in the plug cover piece would work on a matte surface, and not look out of place, but I'm not as keen on those colours personally.

I can't find where he mentioned those, now. I looked through the post with the pics and the one titled something like "let's talk colors". Now I have no clue where I got the idea that he might use that kind of stuff for special editions, or that it was 30 euros more.

The fingerprints aren't the problem. Everything I have seen that has wood and other look on plastic like that looks bad when it is even a little worn. That is what I don't want to happen with my Pyra. A solid color is fine for me.

Well, i also think, if i look to my Silver First Batch, than i will be happy whit everything, until it isnt this silver..
It dostn look bad, but this Case wasnt the best..

So, August/September is still a better estimation than twoo months ..

The prototype orders

Speaking of prototypes: When we receive the cases, I'll send mails to all prototype orders asking what they would like.
We will be able to build prototypes, but the won't have the final keymat yet and not the new touchscreen.
They will also have some minor hardware faults which will be fixed for the final release.

You will be able to choose whether you still want one of those (it's a pretty neat collectors item) or whether you want to wait until we do the quick test run (which will still be before the mass production happens), as that would be an almost final unit - but of course, you would still get the case in the color you've chosen, so it will always be something special :)

If you could, please, detail what those, "minor hardware faults," are in the email? I am planning to use my prototype - it won't be stored on a shelf for later resale. Depending on which systems are impacted, I may need to hold on for the, "quick test run" batch. Since I'm last in line for these, I may wind up there anyway.

Will the prototypes be color-in-plastic or custom painted? I'm still wishing that glow in the dark clear polycarbonate were a possibility - but I understand why it would not be - unless the plastics company happens to have a left-over bag of it stuck in inventory from someone else's job... very very long remote chance? With all of the LEDs, the Pyra would have - ahemm... After Glow.

Surely the prototype phase is to discover what those minor hardware faults might be. Perhaps it's possible to find out what's known to be working: e.g. working: A15 cores, RAM, LCD, rotation chip, modem, wifi, nubs, buttons, keys, GPS, other sensors; untested: 3D chip, 2D accelerator, M4 cores.

Edit: I'd hope that should some showstopper hardware faults be found, ED would be willing to send out replacement boards to the prototype orderers given how much you've paid, but he hasn't said that so I guess I shouldn't suppose.

Last edited:
So, August/September is still a better estimation than twoo months .
It is a best case estimate. It is never the best case. If the best case is August/September then EvilDragon should have said "December, best case November".

also keep in mind the case design is actually opensource ;)

there are many ways you could produce replacements for it

dscf2123-jpg.27810
dscf2124-jpg.27811

The wood grain would look great in a really dark grey. :)

The burl with brass looking nubs, game pad & shoulder buttons might not be so bad. Kind of steam punkish?

Then again - it might be so bad...

If you could, please, detail what those, "minor hardware faults," are in the email? I am planning to use my prototype - it won't be stored on a shelf for later resale. Depending on which systems are impacted, I may need to hold on for the, "quick test run" batch. Since I'm last in line for these, I may wind up there anyway.

Of course :) They'll only have 4GB eMMC storage, that's one thing, and 2GB RAM.
Charging will also be changed - right now, charging does only work reliably with ONE USB port (so it isn't a showstopper just an inconvenience).
So we'll replace it with a charger chip that can handle both USB ports.

Will the prototypes be color-in-plastic or custom painted? I'm still wishing that glow in the dark clear polycarbonate were a possibility - but I understand why it would not be - unless the plastics company happens to have a left-over bag of it stuck in inventory from someone else's job... very very long remote chance? With all of the LEDs, the Pyra would have - ahemm... After Glow.

There is nothing painted. The color is always in the plastic.

Surely the prototype phase is to discover what those minor hardware faults might be. Perhaps it's possible to find out what's known to be working: e.g. working: A15 cores, RAM, LCD, rotation chip, modem, wifi, nubs, buttons, keys, GPS, other sensors; untested: 3D chip, 2D accelerator, M4 cores.

Well, 3D Chip, 2D accelerator and M4 cores are included in the OMAP5, so if the OMAP5 works, they will as work ;)

Edit: I'd hope that should some showstopper hardware faults be found, ED would be willing to send out replacement boards to the prototype orderers given how much you've paid, but he hasn't said that so I guess I shouldn't suppose.

Yes, I mentioned that before. But if we already KNOW that there are some minor faults, we rather send these to developers (as it doesn't stop them to work on them) then to someone else who rather wants a fully working prototype. :)

Back