Case Is Done But Still Has To Be Reviewed?

transmition

Still Fresh
So, what exactly is going on?

picture1iz.png

The cases had some issues that need to be fixed. Were expecting the new fixed cases to come in a few days. If there good, mass production will start.

The (hopefully final) cases have been shipped to Mweston but haven't arrived yet. If the tweaks have properly addressed the various issues then mass production of cases can start.

They're waiting for the next test run of case parts to be sent to MWeston, after some final adjustments this week. We're hoping they arrive on the weekend.

Mould creation has been shown as "done" for a few weeks, because it basically is. They just had to do some fine tuning.

[edit] Ha, snap x3.

Transmition said:
So, what exactly is going on?

picture1iz.png

Hopefully those last 4 lines will be green withing the next few weeks! ;)

Jumpman

Last edited by a moderator:
so when do u guys think everyone will have there pandoras, a month from now maybe ?

Hard to tell. The next step is checking the new cases revision, which should be next week. If the cases are perfect it may be feasible to deliver in a month, I suppose.

stephen0205 said:
so when do u guys think everyone will have there pandoras, a month from now maybe ?
I've been expecting to get mine towards the end of January so that's probably about right.

MrBlais said:
What happened to, "I don't see why we cannot ship final units before christmas."? LoL - Silly Craig.
lol you've not been around for a few days have you!

i'm fairly certain it says why in the recent news in the official and unofficial blogs

RenegadeChic said:
MrBlais said:
What happened to, "I don't see why we cannot ship final units before christmas."? LoL - Silly Craig.
lol you've not been around for a few days have you!

i'm fairly certain it says why in the recent news in the official and unofficial blogs

I don't think it does because I read those and I still don't know why we can't have some shipped before xmas still

A delivery before christmas isn't practically possible. The latest case samples will arrive in Canada this weekend if all goes well ;)

from the official blog:

As most of you guys might have read on the boards already, Michael didn't give a green light to the case production.

As this might disappoint a lot of you, I'm actually quite happy. Sure, it would've been cool if we just managed to ship the Pandoras just-in-time for christmas, but that would've been the best case.
The worst case would've been that the DPad doesn't work very well (tweaking that can be awkward) or the most complicated mould which took so much tweaking time would be so bad it had to be redone completely.

While the case isn't good enough for mass production yet, the changes that need to be done are so minimal, that I'm really happy - 'cause it means we're almost done.

Here's what's wrong:

* The lower part has a tiny bit of shrinkage on the back edge, but we already knew about that and it has been fixed at the factory already (so basically, this is a non-issue)
* The LCD cable slot is TIGHT, it needs to be more open to make assembly faster (although it does work in the current form but is fiddly to get though). And while this is a small fix, it is definately the main reason we didn't give the green light - as it would've made assembly much more time intensively. With 10.000 cases, it would take more additional time to assemble them than the tweaking of the case could possibly take.
* The shoulder buttons need a tweak to be perfect (travel distance feels as if it needs to be a fraction more for better feedback). This isn't that important - but when we need to change other stuff too, then we can do that small tweak, too.
* Plus some shaving here and there internally which the factory told us to expect to be needed.

Apart from the shoulder buttons these issues are on one piece, the lower base. The most complicated part of the case is actually fine, which is really cool.

less easy to find within a post:

craigix said:
[...]The cases will probably arrive with Michael at the weekend if we are lucky. They should be the final ones.

So it looks like units won't ship to customers in large numbers until (probably) after Christmas.

I'm sure Michael will make up more units, but it's going to be small numbers before Christmas, probably for devs.

When you get your Pandora and see just how perfected it is you will understand the delays.
sure, if by some you mean maybe 4 or 5, but with only 6 days left to potentially get here, and in the christmas rush (where things could get lost and damaged anyway) its almost entirely unlikely that anyone other than a very select few might get one.

Edit - must remember not to use html

mali said:
A delivery before christmas isn't practically possible. The latest case samples will arrive in Canada this weekend if all goes well ;)

I thought that was LAST weekend for the latest tweaks? or if not last weekend, sometime early this week, have they not arrived yet and been delayed somehow for another week? I don't remember that being reported.

No, the tweaked cases(shoulder button travel, hinge inside diameter and slot for the LCD ribbon) should arrive this weekend :)

Edit:
Btw, I put every quote I find worth noting in the unofficial blog thread ;)

mali said:
No, the tweaked cases(shoulder button travel, hinge inside diameter and slot for the LCD ribbon) should arrive this weekend :)

Edit:
Btw, I put every quote I find worth noting in the unofficial blog thread ;)

pretty sure that was last weekend/early this week, mweston got the latest cases around the 8th, then we were told there were more tweaks to be done (the hinge, shoulder buttons etc) and it would be another week. that was THIS week, and now it's apparantly another week? that makes it two weeks. here's the first thread about the new cases from the 8th: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/50790-finished-case-photo/ to prove my point.

craig said this week here: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/50914-so-whats-a-reasonable-timeframe-at-the-moment/page__view__findpost__p__785652

craig says we'd have an update on monday (last monday): http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/50904-hows-the-weather-where-you-are/page__view__findpost__p__785405

there's more posts like this but I couldn't be bothered finding them.

craigix said:
[...]The cases will probably arrive with Michael at the weekend if we are lucky. They should be the final ones.

So it looks like units won't ship to customers in large numbers until (probably) after Christmas.

I'm sure Michael will make up more units, but it's going to be small numbers before Christmas, probably for devs.

When you get your Pandora and see just how perfected it is you will understand the delays.

Hopefully several of you will drop by my house to try one out before then.

Another one. I think.

Back