Wrist Strap, Case, Expansion?

-Tj-

Got more questions for those in-the-know.

Does the Pandora case have a wrist strap loop provision somewhere? I looked at the case renders and didn't see one, and a search through the forums didn't seem to turn up anything.

As far as cases go, I read somewhere that the GP2X case was going to be rebranded for Pandora, is this correct? I'm thinking I may get a case in the future, but so far it doesn't seem like there's anything particularly tailored to Pandora's exact size yet.

Expansion... from what I understand, the internals have provisions to solder on new devices (chips?). Are there any photos online that show these? I'm interested to know what's possible, like what could be soldered on and what is supported by the kernel and such.

I had also thought about the idea of some sort of expansion case that could attach to the bottom of the device, maybe something that attaches to the USB port and has provisions for a multitude of things that it could house. 2.5" HDD, SSD, GPS devices, 3G stuff... I'm guessing this is all technically possible, but I only have a vague idea of what would need to be done to do such a thing. Just brainstorming here, but I'm having fun thinking about all this so please bear with me if any of this sounds rediculous. :lol: Thanks!

-Tj- said:
Does the Pandora case have a wrist strap loop provision somewhere?
Nope. You have to have a case or glue something on there to keep your Pandora safe.
-Tj- said:
As far as cases go, I read somewhere that the GP2X case was going to be rebranded for Pandora, is this correct?
Yes, and I don't know if the case will be adapted to the Pandora more than it is now, in the future.

-Tj- said:
Expansion... from what I understand, the internals have provisions to solder on new devices (chips?). Are there any photos online that show these?
Look around in here:
http://gs113.photobucket.com/groups/n213/I0S2J7KION/
As for the technical details, I'm not so sure what's left open to solder stuff onto and what hasn't. I think you've got access to I2C and room (board-wise) for additional shoulder buttons, but I'm not sure.

-Tj- said:
I had also thought about the idea of some sort of expansion case that could attach to the bottom of the device, maybe something that attaches to the USB port and has provisions for a multitude of things that it could house. 2.5" HDD, SSD, GPS devices, 3G stuff... I'm guessing this is all technically possible, but I only have a vague idea of what would need to be done to do such a thing. Just brainstorming here, but I'm having fun thinking about all this so please bear with me if any of this sounds rediculous. :lol: Thanks!
Just take an USB hub, remove the casing, put it in a custom-made plastic box that has the shape of the Pandora, and add whatever you want to add in that box, connecting the peripherals to the hub. Then you can just plug in the hub to get access to all of your devices.

Last edited by a moderator:
-Tj- said:
Got more questions for those in-the-know.

Does the Pandora case have a wrist strap loop provision somewhere? I looked at the case renders and didn't see one, and a search through the forums didn't seem to turn up anything.

As far as cases go, I read somewhere that the GP2X case was going to be rebranded for Pandora, is this correct? I'm thinking I may get a case in the future, but so far it doesn't seem like there's anything particularly tailored to Pandora's exact size yet.

Expansion... from what I understand, the internals have provisions to solder on new devices (chips?). Are there any photos online that show these? I'm interested to know what's possible, like what could be soldered on and what is supported by the kernel and such.

I don't remember anyone saying the Case would be adapted. I remember Craig saying the Case would be similar to that of the GP2X case.

As for expansion, I'm pretty sure the only solder points left on the board by MWeston were 2 for extra shoulder buttons and one to power a led if you wanted to fit one into the top of the case, behind the LCD. (to make your Pandora logo light up)

-God Ginrai

As far as a wrist strap, if you're able to find a safe point in the case to drill a hole, use some sort of metal ring to seal it, and run some good grade nylon string through it, a wrist strap is easy.

OT:I didn't know that about the led, perhaps I could do a pretty cool led mod? Just how many could you fit without draining too hard on the battery.

Jourdy288 said:
As far as a wrist strap, if you're able to find a safe point in the case to drill a hole, use some sort of metal ring to seal it, and run some good grade nylon string through it, a wrist strap is easy.

OT:I didn't know that about the led, perhaps I could do a pretty cool led mod? Just how many could you fit without draining too hard on the battery.

I think the question you should probably be asking is: how much room do you have to fit in LEDs?

-God Ginrai

The "LED" solder pad is labelled KPBL, which stands for "keypad backlight". That's the original use of the pad - in case someone wanted to mod LED backlighting for the keypad into the Pandora. It would require that OP makes keymats where the backing material is clear though.

Vorporeal said:
The "LED" solder pad is labelled KPBL, which stands for "keypad backlight". That's the original use of the pad - in case someone wanted to mod LED backlighting for the keypad into the Pandora. It would require that OP makes keymats where the backing material is clear though.
I think there are two different things being discussed here. First of all, IIRC, MWeston said that it would be possible to add something or other to a small solder pad that is placed on the LED controller chip, but that there probably wouldn't be room enough to do so. Then we have the keypad back light solder pad, which could be used for something, too.

Possibly. To be honest, I totally forgot about the pad on the LED controller. I just assumed GodGinrai was talking about pads on the main board due to the fact that he mentioned the L2/R2 pads.

Jourdy288 said:

Yeah, I'm starting to think maybe drilling a hole in the case might be the best idea at the moment. I'd probably attach some sort of strap holder I might have from some other device I have no use for. Pretty sure I have one on hand somewhere.

God Ginrai said:
I don't remember anyone saying the Case would be adapted. I remember Craig saying the Case would be similar to that of the GP2X case.

My mistake about the case, I must've read wrong. I thought it was a rebranded case.

Edit: added quotes.

dflemstr said:
Vorporeal said:
I think there are two different things being discussed here. First of all, IIRC, MWeston said that it would be possible to add something or other to a small solder pad that is placed on the LED controller chip, but that there probably wouldn't be room enough to do so. Then we have the keypad back light solder pad, which could be used for something, too.

I forgot about the KPBL. But yea, I'm talking about the other thing. However, I thought MWeston said he already added it.

-God Ginrai

-Tj- said:
Jourdy288 said:

Yeah, I'm starting to think maybe drilling a hole in the case might be the best idea at the moment. I'd probably attach some sort of strap holder I might have from some other device I have no use for. Pretty sure I have one on hand somewhere.

as far as i know, there are already two holes exactly for that purpose

newbackside.jpg

OMG so the Strap Hole doesnt Exist?

i though someone confused it with a kensington port.

im more interested on de USART and the PWM ports.

the USART would make my pandora a great partner to deal with the network devices (cisco routers, switchs, etc.)

and the PWM would be nice to create a Open Robodora :p.

i didnt know about the LR2 pads, thats great, what i need to get my AceCombat games total.

and the Led Backlight pad is it Power Feed only or it can be Regulated or at least turned on/of

and and and .. the last question of the post.

are all of these available on the last system board? because there are several ver isnt it? MK0, MK1 .. Mk4 ?(red,green,blu etc.)

I can't emagine them stripping features from the board. There is a continual evolution from utter awesomeness approaching perfection.

sometimes it is not because they want, but rather they had to.

from what i see the Keyboard Light was cut and only left the pads XD.

DroneB Dev said:
and the Led Backlight pad is it Power Feed only or it can be Regulated or at least turned on/of
If I recall correctly, and sometimes I do, it was said to be wired to the PWM so it can be variably controlled. I had thoughts of wiring a tiny motor to it for rumble capabilities, before someone pointed out that a motor draws a lot more power than an LED. Stupid physics, always ruining my dreams.

WizardStan said:
DroneB Dev said:
If I recall correctly, and sometimes I do, it was said to be wired to the PWM so it can be variably controlled. I had thoughts of wiring a tiny motor to it for rumble capabilities, before someone pointed out that a motor draws a lot more power than an LED. Stupid physics, always ruining my dreams.

ive seen pager Motors that drain about 70mA, they should work doesnt it?, the only danger there is that the Motor PullsBack some Noise and Risk the Electronics.
anyway werent there a lot of PWM ports free?, you could make an external rumblepack with external batts :p.

OMG, remembered ive got some extra scraps of Epoxy Putty, once i get the panda ill make my booster pack. LR2 Btns plus Rumble. (hmm gotta make Kensington port too)
by the way does PSX4all Supports Rumble?

dupey said:
as far as i know, there are already two holes exactly for that purpose

*image*

Oh thank God...! I hate drilling holes into my devices, especially with Pandora. So glad I won't have to do that now. I ordered a GP2X wrist strap set from Play-Asia today (http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-d1-49-en-70-2z5b.html). 20% off if you use your Visa! Ends today though.

WizardStan said:

That sounds like a great idea. True, it probably draws a lot of power, but couldn't you wire it (or control via software) so that it only works when plugged in? It's not something I can imagine myself doing unless the software was available for it, but I would love to have rumble capability access. Might make homebrew more fun!

I don't want a stinking wrist strap, I'll prolly glue the pandora to my hands...

Back