Wrist Strap, Case, Expansion?

DroneB Dev said:
as for now, ive started with a mobile AddOn, mainly for Gaming purposes (LR2 Btns, rumble,and Ergonomics).

since its non official, i dont know how much it would cost to dev and other things, the thing is im going to make one fo myself right now and if pp find it usefull, then OP T could make and develop one more stable (and better looking) since im going to make mine with scraps and lots of Epoxy putty.
I think you have the right attitude here. Pretty can wait - first off you'll want to make a bench version / proof of concept. Post it up, work in progress and all. The idiots/trolls will make fun of it, those of us who understand what a bench unit is would be interested.

DroneB Dev said:
i really find amusing why pp needs so much USB ports, not like the panda could pump up current for that much things, or maybe capable of controlling all that much at once.
I think what is driving the number of USB ports for me is that is the only way I can think of getting a high speed bidirectional data signal to/from the Pandora to run anything. The only other options I can see are breaking out the UART into an RS232 - but that is highly limited OR using the bluetooth OR using 802.11g and making the add-on a stand alone server.

DroneB Dev said:
as for a Docking station, i would look further on the Video, since theres no sense into making a Signal to S vid then back to VGA sig.
as a docking station, there would be main peripherals for sure (keyb, mouse and VGA) but the ethernet option i wouldnt really know where to start.
If I understand it right, the SOC has two video outputs. One is digital that is being used by the LCD. The other is an analog signal being used by the s-video and composite. It has been discussed in another thread, but the gist of it is that it is not as simple as piggy backing on the signal going to the LCD. So, what you have coming out of the back of unit is -not- VGA, only s-video. So, if you want VGA coming out of the docking station, the only real choice is to convert the S-video to VGA.

The Ethernet question is pretty simple. With there being three 'high speed' bi-directional signal possibilities from the Pandora. USB, bluetooth or 802.11g. There are USB2.0 to 10/100/1000 ethernet dongles commercially available. 802.11g to ethernet is a bridge - they exist but aren't cheap.

DroneB Dev said:
i would also add charger, and audio (a xtra subwoofer would be enough).
For a stationary dock, I'd skip putting in speakers and just put an 1/8" jack on it. There are plenty of very good 2.1 powered PC speakers out there.
For a mobile solution, the big issue is going to be finding something that actually augments the sound, but is thin enough to use in a portable option.

DroneB Dev said:
but most of the stuff stated on a static docking station would be easily fullfiled by a AV Cable and a powered hub with everything already connected so panda connects and ready to go.
Which means using the three main ports off of the back of the Pandora. The USB host - to run all of the dock features, the Pandora port for video and sound I/O, the USB as device port to power the Pandora.

DroneB Dev said:
now that you spoke about the dvi, i would really like to know if the panda would be able to atach to a video signal like the beagle board seems to.
If I understand it right, Beagle board's main output equivalent is in use on the Pandora to drive the LCD and is not available for external connection. You could crack the case, get rid of your LCD and get to it I suppose, but that isn't going to be pretty.

DroneB Dev said:
going back to the batt stuff, well doing math 4200 mAh split about 10 Hours then we get that panda consumes 420mA no way close to the 3.5 threshold but i still think that i wont tap the batt, but instead add a couple of standard AA battery.
420mA seems real low, but OK. I guess that is about right if you think about it though. It has to fit in under the 500mA single USB power window to maintain charge when sitting as a device on a USB cable. I think you may be overestimating the reserves on a pair of AA batteries though.

DroneB Dev said:
i also dont expect to play not really much but when i play i want it to be as good as a commercial mobile console(or even more) so i would plug the add one if i expect to play games. besides, if the double(or triple) paralel batt idea works and is chargeable i would definitely make a mod on the add on to stack em up.
Is the objective to be able to play a game continuously for 30 hours then? Batteries are heavy and take space. Something you might consider is a big battery - like a 9 cell notebook battery. Regulate it and run it into the Pandora via the power jack maybe?

DroneB Dev said:
and finally Sry Wizard Stan, i though you directed your words at my points. but next time you should point @ if youre talking about something specific. its just that these days theres too much heat, so hounds and trolls seems to be really working this days.
Yeah. The best thing you can do with a Troll is to not feed it. I'm guilty of this too. Ignore them if you can. You have some great ideas. I'm interested to see where they take you.

Last edited by a moderator:
hello again,

Well, from what ive researched these Pager Motor a pair of these lil Monsters wont do much of a harm to a pair of 1200mAh rated battsAA(in paralel so 1.5V, no need that much of RPMs). so i expect them to last a useable length of time (or maybe even larger motors would still make the deal).

as for the video stuff, maybe theres a must on the case cracking scenario, but maybe if we made a mini multiplexer able to deal with the signal (most probably on the side of the LCD), and pop out a mini connector to jack in the rest of the circuit to get the VGA signal, could be an option, but yet (video and audio stuff is not my specialty) would be still the sync issues and the selection method.

the structural design of the add on would be the hardest part, im still thinking on how to get the best grip on it, right now the best option ive thinked is to get some roundlike plastic (old photo film cup) and give it some soft using hot glue or cold tubing silicon.

and as for last, im a batt lasting time maniac, i really hate to carry around the charger and rather carry extra batts. and from what i can see, the panda batt has the best mAh per Grams rate ive ever seen on a "!commercial!" batt, is none of my intention to play a non stop run of games, but rather have a nice option in the far far away from civilization whereas the best option is to use a handcrank or solar cell to obtain those precious mAh.
this is the same question of to carry a water purifier or carry a hydratation six pack. there is no use for a water purifier where you cant even find water

found this bad boy the BLADE the con is this one is way too bulky, the pro is this is powered

Back