Can we keep this forum permanently?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm against new forums for several very good reasons:

• Getting users to the new forum is going to be a pain. We already have 500+ registered who are involved with the Pandora, and probably many more who just browse. By shifting here, it means moving this already-massive userbase.
  • Related to the above, people will not come here by choice, necessarily, not if they already like gp32x and have been using it. Like the comments mentioned, gp32x feels like "home", and moving from home to home is going to be rough for some people.
  • gp32x has a mature, established, experienced staff who administrate the gp32x forums. No offense to the crew, but it takes a lot of work to get moderators, administrators, etc., who will be dedicated to the forum. It goes beyond just watching the posts - you have to make sure the forums are up-to-date, implement new features where "necessary", and so on. The question is: does the Pandora crew have enough people to dedicate to the forums?
  • gp32x has a lot more publicity. This forum barely has any in comparison. This is a relatively minor point, but it's still valid. The Pandora forums are amoungst is amoungst other communities, and thus get publicity. This obviously pulls in people, but it also allows developers who work on other consoles to jump to the Pandora easily. Barriers are easier to cross on gp32x, and new users that come to the forums are awed by the sight of thousnads of post, many years old.

That's my perspective. I really hope this forum gets removed/disabled when gp32x comes back on.

normal_enough said:
Lamb said:
Phawx said:
One thing is, my order only has the address for the credit card. Billing and Shipping address fields are blank. But the email I got says that the order went through...do I have to correct information with anyone?

Yeah, I have this problem too, I was going to send an email about it, but thought you must be overrun with them at the moment, so decided not to. But if you read this craig, an answer would be appreciated :)

P.s I forgot to add to the dev fund when I pre-ordered, can I still do this or is it linked to my pandora purchase some how? Thanks.

I thought of the same thing and emailed Gp2xMobile@gmail.com because that's the address the confirmation email told me to contact if I felt I had any trouble with my order. This was the response:

"We only accept the card's registered billing address online for security. If you wish your order to be shipped to a different address, please forward your order number and address details."

The reply email address was icontrolpadsales@gmail.com

hope this helps.

It does indeed, thank you! :D

javaJake said:
I'm against new forums for several very good reasons:

• Getting users to the new forum is going to be a pain. We already have 500+ registered who are involved with the Pandora, and probably many more who just browse. By shifting here, it means moving this already-massive userbase.
  • Related to the above, people will not come here by choice, necessarily, not if they already like gp32x and have been using it. Like the comments mentioned, gp32x feels like "home", and moving from home to home is going to be rough for some people.
  • gp32x has a mature, established, experienced staff who administrate the gp32x forums. No offense to the crew, but it takes a lot of work to get moderators, administrators, etc., who will be dedicated to the forum. It goes beyond just watching the posts - you have to make sure the forums are up-to-date, implement new features where "necessary", and so on. The question is: does the Pandora crew have enough people to dedicate to the forums?
  • gp32x has a lot more publicity. This forum barely has any in comparison. This is a relatively minor point, but it's still valid. The Pandora forums are amoungst is amoungst other communities, and thus get publicity. This obviously pulls in people, but it also allows developers who work on other consoles to jump to the Pandora easily. Barriers are easier to cross on gp32x, and new users that come to the forums are awed by the sight of thousnads of post, many years old.

That's my perspective. I really hope this forum gets removed/disabled when gp32x comes back on.
+1
Also, there's no content to search through -- you don't know if your topic has been discussed already (or the result of that discussion). :(

Sorry that some of the emails are coming from different accounts and such, had to put everyone on Pandora duty, just trying to get everything answered is a full time thing right now.

I don't think it would be bad to keep this one online as a backup, assuming it doesn't cost the Pandora team extra in terms of hosting, but we should certainly resurrect GP32X as soon as possible.

+1
Also, there's no content to search through -- you don't know if your topic has been discussed already (or the result of that discussion). :([/quote]

Yeah! One of the reasons I mostly lurk on the gp32x forums is that most of the things I wonder about i can find answers to by just using the search. And I miss Chip and his links. He's great at linking to just the right topic!

But I must say im glad we have these forums for now so I have a tab I can keep refreshing every other minute instead of the usual gp32x tab.

Edit: And I cant even get the quotes to behave!

Edit2: To Craig, would like to ask a question(Dont want to send a email just for this): Was I supposed to type in my country in the address field when i preordered? I didnt as I got to choose country in a dropdown box elsewhere on the page.

Esslan said:
+1
Edit2: To Craig, would like to ask a question(Dont want to send a email to just for this): Was I supposed to type in my country in the address field when i preordered? I didnt as I got to choose country in a dropdown box elsewhere on the page.
I did that exact thing.
Quite honestly, I freaked out and sent an email to Protx, and GBAX. Got an email back from GBAX shortly.

It's ok Nick, we know that's it's the US.

Thanks
Jacquelyn
Whew!

Ryzure said:
Esslan said:
+1
Edit2: To Craig, would like to ask a question(Dont want to send a email to just for this): Was I supposed to type in my country in the address field when i preordered? I didnt as I got to choose country in a dropdown box elsewhere on the page.
I did that exact thing.
Quite honestly, I freaked out and sent an email to Protx, and GBAX. Got an email back from GBAX shortly.

It's ok Nick, we know that's it's the US.

Thanks
Jacquelyn
Whew!

Hmm, As I understand it from the response you got, You were supposed to type in the country but in your case it was ok because they recognized your address. I doubt they know that my address is located in sweden. Now im just more unsure, but thanks anyway!

Esslan said:
Hmm, As I understand it from the response you got, You were supposed to type in the country but in your case it was ok because they recognized your address. I doubt they know that my address is located in sweden. Now im just more unsure, but thanks anyway!
I'm sure that can be remedied with an e-mail to them. ;)
They're very understanding, as I take it.

Ryzure said:
I'm sure that can be remedied with an e-mail to them. ;)
They're very understanding, as I take it.

Guess your right.

The thing is I have already sent them an email earlier because of another thing I managed to screw up while I was ordering.

And as for being understanding I must agree. They even apologized for sending me an late reply when it had only gone 2 hours since my email. I mean 2 hours, thats NOT late! Usually when you email a company it takes what, like 1 or 2 days for them to reply. And this was like in the middle of the night!

I am very strongly against splitting up the community. The Pandora does not exist in a vacuum, but is part of a tradition of open handhelds that includes the GP32 and GP2X. A single big community (split into many subforums) allows better interaction and exchange of ideas.

It may be a good idea to move the GP32X forums onto a more reliable server, but everything should stay in one place.

Sphinxter said:
Saw them off like a diseased limb, the gp2x is dead, long live pandora.
I am going to choose to assume you are joking, because that is the kind of attitude that people are worried that any split like this would cause.

Warpshade said:
Sphinxter said:
I am going to choose to assume you are joking, because that is the kind of attitude that people are worried that any split like this would cause.

Well said, Warpshade. Probably he was joking though, right?

By the way, i think it's perfectly fair for the Pandora to have it's own forum, being the present and latest gadget - i agree with the people who want to link them or come to some kind of compromise.

Apart from that it's down to choice of user of which forum to post in, and seeing how it develops.

Sphinxter said:

Yea, the GP2X is dead. But the Wiz is not. I know of a friend who's going to get it, and I'm sure many many more will prefer it (mostly because it's cheaper) over the Pandora.

Let's not insult a device that brought together so many good resources and developers into an awesome community.

At first I was opposed to leaving the old forums, but maybe this would be the best thing. To have a totally new forum for Pandora since it's really a totally new platform from a new company that has no real ties to GamePark (aside from Craig selling GP goods over the years).

On the flip side, the old forums are part of an established scene with many veterans like myself from the old days of emulation and handhelds etc. There is something to be said for preserving that scene, and honestly I think it will die away if the Pandora scene moves away from there.

Either way, I will be part of the Pandora scene. :)

It's a philosophical thing, you can drag every dead thing you've ever done along behind you like Bob Marley's chains in A Christmas Carol or you can learn to let go, move on, celebrate and focus on the new and living. I might be able to manage multiple builds but I just do not have the bandwidth for multiple aspects.

Forums aren't an entity, they're a tool.
To put a burden on Craig, and the community as a whole to "symbolically sever ties with GPH", is stupid.

Our old forums are established, work excellently ('cept atm), and serve their purpose as a communication tool for our little community.

Sphinxter said:
It's a philosophical thing, you can drag every dead thing you've ever done along behind you like Bob Marley's chains in A Christmas Carol or you can learn to let go, move on, celebrate and focus on the new and living.
Except that it's not dead, but very much alive. Yes, there are many sub-forums on GP32X which get little activity, but they're hidden away and don't hurt anyone. There's no space limit online.

And there are many people who are part of the GP32X community who are coming back for the Pandora. I am one; I was active in the GP32 days, was away for a few years and came back a few months ago.

I really do not think that there's any advantage at all in starting completely fresh and forcing everyone from the old community to sign up for new accounts somewhere else, especially when we already have such a (mostly) nice community back there and excellent administration team.

I didn't even know about these forums until recently, kyo said something about him and I had no idea what he was talking about. Siiiigh, if only I got a lower user number :lol:

Anyway, I would prefer Gp32x to stay the "official" pandora forums, if possible. with maybe a minimal support forum on openpandora or gbax or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back