Ask the Dragon - Date has been set!

Thanks to the crew, we had a good time watching here in Toulouse, France. I think I'll watch it again to make sure I grasp everything though, we chatted a lot ^^

I thought I was going to be able to make it to watch it live, but that didn't happen, so I am trying to watch it now.

If you liked it, I might setup something simpler myself (with two cameras, one front and one GoPro, like I used here to show the closeups) and do this myself on a regular basis (but shorter)
This might be easier for you than typing up a news post. When you have news for us, do a short 10 minute live stream telling us what important things have happened or are upcoming, then you can answer a couple questions. I really like that idea, especially since we get to see the Pyra (yes, I know there are pictures, but it's still fun to look at it).

Really enjoyed this ED, thank you for doing it. It's like all the best news posts times 1000000.

I like news and updates but I'd listen to a regular podcast of the pyra just rehashing what we already know or a smaller format ask ED.

I have never been more psyched for the Pyra. It's going to be glorious.

Thanks for the stream, it was very informative. I always appreciated your openess towards this community. One of the main thing I like about this project. :)

Reactions: rSl
I have one of the Pyra mugs currently available. They're a bit on the small side (coffee quantity required is twice as large as consumption device). How about mugs big enough to fit a Pyra in?

Fix: drink more espresso. Unless you're already drinking espresso I guess, I which case, gosh you drink a lot of coffee!

Reactions: rSl
I got to watch 10 minutes on a break but I'll watch the full thing tonight. I couldn't think of a question to ask, oh well. It looks like everything is moving along though. I was watching when you were talking about the OS, I hoped using debian would have put it farther along. I remember how the Pandora software started out and now it is really good so I think Pyra will get there, hopefully faster since debian was picked this time around.

Didn't get to watch when it happened, but I'll watch it after dinner tonight.

I got to watch 10 minutes on a break but I'll watch the full thing tonight. I couldn't think of a question to ask, oh well. It looks like everything is moving along though. I was watching when you were talking about the OS, I hoped using debian would have put it farther along. I remember how the Pandora software started out and now it is really good so I think Pyra will get there, hopefully faster since debian was picked this time around.
aTc doesn't have the newest revision of the PCBs so the current OS image wouldn't work on EDs latest prototype without a bit of work of shoving the latest kernel into it, ED didn't have the time to do that before the video started. So he used one of Nikolaus testing OS images.

What I saw he said he was worried the OS wasn't polished enough and he compared it to what the Pandora was like when it was released. I must have not seen it was a test OS. I only saw 10 minutes or so so far.

That was an amazing stream @EvilDragon
It was great to see the evolution of the case yet so defeating to hear your frustration over asking for better shoulder buttons and getting very little in return.
Is that the first time you've shown a nub opened up? Cool to see the insides of the components.
Going over the tiny details like how the lid close mechanism works and doesn't interfere with surrounding components was a nice addition.

I should have added my questions to the forum well before the live stream. I had some longish questions that were hard to post in youtube's chat because it is limited to 200 characters. Some of my questions were lost as people were having conversations.
Having the questions pop up on screen during the video looked very professional.

I don't know how well short notice Q&A's are going to work as people won't have time to think up interesting questions and I worry that people will ask the usual questions like you got during this stream.
"When will it be released?", "How do I find out the differences between EU and US modem", "Will you produce the case in this unique colour"

Finally got around to watching the archived stream, and I loved it! Especially enjoyed finally being able to see the nub's mechanism with the button and glad to see I got 3 of my questions answered :D

It was indeed an very nice and informative stream. I liked the details ED told and especialy showed us around the Pyra.
I hope the final result turns out well, I didn't liked the colours he had there for instance, everything looks way to cheap, (the "gunmetal grey" was not by any means a gunmetal grey) especialy compared to the gpd Win 2. ED already mentioned that the colours will be adjusted for the mass production. Not sure if the plastic material is still durable Polycarbonate, ED did not mentioned that part. Let's hope it will be better than the brittle Pandora case material, which is really bad, at least on my unit.
Besides that small details, Pyra development feels now almost towards the finish line.

Was a pretty cool Stream,
I didn’t saw it live (sadly) but EvilDragon dit lots of answers..
also one of my questions (do you expect to sell more pyrae than pandora??)

But not my other questions..

So the only way to know if the Pyra is Unimog Proof will be to try it out myself ..

He said something that a new Run will take 8 Months
But on a diverent topic he said something whit may be release in Oktober..

I don’t know cause my English,
Can someone explain this part ??

Was a pretty cool Stream,
I didn’t saw it live (sadly) but EvilDragon dit lots of answers..
also one of my questions (do you expect to sell more pyrae than pandora??)

But not my other questions..

So the only way to know if the Pyra is Unimog Proof will be to try it out myself ..

He said something that a new Run will take 8 Months
But on a diverent topic he said something whit may be release in Oktober..

I don’t know cause my English,
Can someone explain this part ??
That is a really good question... The 8 month really sound like another setback. Although on the other hand the prototypes would be tested much more in-depth. But maybe ED meant 8 weeks?

But I really enjoyed the stream! Thanks a lot for all the effort Evil Dragon!
Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

ed stated he has not worked on the packaging-artwork...
for me it would be totally ok not to have any artwork on the box. a plain brown/white one
with a small sticker on it would be fine. good bubblewrap, brownbox. nothing more, so there is time doing important things.
like shipping to us, for example ;)

Yes, awesome Q&A. Sound dipped a little after the first few minutes, but I was still able to follow along - just slightly harder to separate the TV noise from flatmates later on.

I'm also a little concerned about this 8 months thing. Sounds like it might come later than next March which will probably make shipping stuff from Germany a little more complex and expensive, thanks to brexit, but here's hoping you won't require another full prototype run and it'll all be fine now.

Awesome to see the Pyra in motion for what feels like quite a long time. Interesting to see those bumpers fitted behind the display LCD as well as the space below the battery which I knew about already. And using the keymat and holding the device looks awesome - that d-pad looks a bit more curvier a little like the Megadrive pads, compared to the DaveC inspired d-pad in my Pandora, but I don't doubt that it still works more than fine.

Definitely seems worth having another video when you've got the Pyra OS running, and if you're happy doing it as a live stream that might be quicker for you than having to edit another video. Even without 3d drivers, it'll be an interesting record of how the OS works now, and if the prototype users can build you a megadrive emulator build a copy of Hurrican or something so you can show off those controls, that'd be awesome. Maybe also showing off the nubs could be done better, cos you were carefully showing off how slowly and precisely they could be moved in this video, but I'm actually more interested in how quickly you can get to relatively small menus, icons and window furniture, or maybe draw an evil dragon in GIMP (although I guess in reality you'd probably use the touchscreen for that).

And it's really weird to hear a German saying 'knackered' even if you were only reading it out from a user question.

Awesome to see the nubs deconstructed for the first time. I know some people who tend to twist joysticks and nubs, so I'll have to bear that in mind if I lend them my Pyra! At least it's only four solder pegs to desolder to replace them, rather than the chinese puzzle of getting all of the solder pads off a Pandora's nub at the same time.

Thanks again for this awesome and informative stream, and thanks for answering a couple of my questions so well.

Awesome to see the nubs deconstructed for the first time. I know some people who tend to twist joysticks and nubs, so I'll have to bear that in mind if I lend them my Pyra! At least it's only four solder pegs to desolder to replace them, rather than the chinese puzzle of getting all of the solder pads off a Pandora's nub at the same time.
Would you even have to desolder them to replace that spring though?

Perhaps not, although I will need to rewatch the video to see how easy it is to separate that PCB from its cage. And in coming from the Pandora nubs, I tend to think that the problem is rarely in the springyness of the physical matter but the craziness of the logic inherent in it, which is probably an incorrect bias given the difference between the way the two are made. But I can still see failure modes in that clicker, and the spring (if twisted the wrong way too much), and even the hall effect sensor which is on the opposite side of the board (although all far more uncommon than wonky Pandora nub-itis seemed to be).

Back