Pandora Are you an active developer on Pandora?

I suspect line endings as well. Care to post an example?

Unfortunately, I forgot to keep a sample when I redid everything using OVR editor, so generating a confirmed-to-be-broken OVR will have to wait until I finish tallying up my boot partition tweaks and upgrading to SuperZaxxon Final.

I just noticed that, despite everything being properly placed in Xfce, things are a mess in MiniMenu. (I almost never use it) For example, I used OVR editor to move Rocks 'n' Diamonds to Game>LogicGame but MiniMenu has it as the sole occupant of a top-level ArcadeGame tab... and MirrorMagic, along with several apps which also exist in other tabs, occupies Other in MiniMenu.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe the problem was the brokenness of MiniMenu's OVR handing, combined with how, last time I tried hand-writing OVRs, I was putting things in the SD card root (It works... but it's significantly more finicky) because I misunderstood the description of pandora/menu/ and assumed none of the folders did what I wanted.

The ovr system is system-wide, so effectx Xfce/others as well.

IT can be complex if an app publishes itself in multiple places, and then you over some of those places; I forget if the ovr takes place of all categories, or just the first category tree.. its possible the app is publishing itself in multiple categories, and you've ovr'd one of them.. it should at least show up in the Ovr's location, plus any others the app publishes if it does that (I'd have to check, been a long time since I built that :)

It used to be you coudl willy nill ovr all over the place, but we've changed the rules a few times since the original concept, about category's being valid or invalid (used to be mmenu woudl trust thigns, but then peopel had typos all over, so now it tries to put things in the right place; but I think it still trusts Ovr's as Always Valid, regardless of typos ... but I'd have to check. I dont' get enough sleep the last 11 mo (babies) to rememebr nitpicky details like that :)

So ..

Could you post the ovr-file contents so I coudl see, and list off which app it is you're talking about? (Rocks and Diamonds I guess.)

As to location.. it shoudlnt' matter where.. be it /pandora/something or / .. thats just a question of whethor it is found or not, not how they are handled. (The ovr file has to be in the same place as the .pnd, that is all.)

jeff

I'm a hobbyist programmer. I have the most experience using C++. I also learned VB .NET and some other languages while in college, but haven't really used them since. I use Qt and SDL, and have a rudimentary knowledge of OpenGL.

I also know a bit about music, but I've only managed to compose one song that I am proud of.

And I'm probably a bad candidate for OS development. I'm not a CS major. I'm an accountant.

My "current" project is a basic defense game. It didn't seem like there was a lot of interest in it, so I developed it for my own enjoyment. When it started to feel like work, I put it on pause. I'll probably work on it again, when I've reduced my "to watch/play/read" list.

Could you post the ovr-file contents so I coudl see, and list off which app it is you're talking about? (Rocks and Diamonds I guess.)

At the moment, I'm so busy with the courses I just started that I barely have time to check my e-mail, but I'd be happy to as soon as I can spare the time to dig out my Pandora.

I'm a bit late to the party but anyway, I'm sort of active, if working an hour or two on my own Panda related projects a month can be considered active.

I've ported:

RoadFighter remake

Maze of Galious remake

PrequEngine (for running Little Big Adventure 1)

But most of the time I've spent on coding for the pandora, has been spent on my own game engine, and three games for said engine (A top down rpg-ish game, a space exploration adventure-rpg game, and a side scrolling platforming action adventure game).

None of which have been released, but I did aim to release the first part of one of the games for the rebirth competition, but alas I got a new job and my free time since have been rather limited.

I prefer (and I'm best at) programming in C++ but with a lot of C styled code.

I've also got a bit of Bare-bone C experience (I.e, no libc, implementing your own memory manager, that sort of thing)

I've recently started coding a bit in Java, mostly because i find gui programming easier for some reason.

I'm a bit late to the party but anyway, I'm sort of active, if working an hour or two on my own Panda related projects a month can be considered active.

I've ported:

RoadFighter remake

Maze of Galious remake

PrequEngine (for running Little Big Adventure 1)

But most of the time I've spent on coding for the pandora, has been spent on my own game engine, and three games for said engine (A top down rpg-ish game, a space exploration adventure-rpg game, and a side scrolling platforming action adventure game).

None of which have been released, but I did aim to release the first part of one of the games for the rebirth competition, but alas I got a new job and my free time since have been rather limited.

I prefer (and I'm best at) programming in C++ but with a lot of C styled code.

I've also got a bit of Bare-bone C experience (I.e, no libc, implementing your own memory manager, that sort of thing)

I've recently started coding a bit in Java, mostly because i find gui programming easier for some reason.

Any screenshot of your engine to share?

I do some coding for Pandora:

• Rescue game
  • pandoria.org - repo mirror, source code collection
  • BeebEm port (wip, alpha, on repo)
  • ZFS port (wip)
  • hax0gen, a game inspired by Super Hexagon (wip)
  • PND PATH - run programs that live inside a PND directly and transparently from the command line (wip),
    e.g. run mplayer, java, gcc, or ntpdate, just by typing a shell command, and without mounting any PNDs in advance.

Can code in Cz, C, Bash, Perl, Python, C++, Java, ARM, and +1 for BBC Basic which was a great language!

Cz is my own dodgy dialect of C, it looks like python and has some nice features (and also some dumb ones).

>> hey, Pandora developers! please PM me with info on how can I collect your source code for pandoria.org/src !

I think it will be useful to have a collection of our source code, presented consistently as a bunch of git projects, and all in the same place.

You can browse source code online. You can also mirror a project or the whole collection easily using git.

Any screenshot of your engine to share?
Sure, if you mean games that run on the engine, the engine itself is non-interactive right now tough, so I can't show any internals in a console or some such.

The most developed game:

lu-sd.png

That's the game I was intending to have a demo of for the rebirth competition, it's the platform action adventure game.

The tentative name I've given it is Spacedog, it's about Spacedog and his quest to stop the evil Dr. Catz (how original, eh? ;) )

The other two games are put on hold until I finish the demo of Spacedog, and both are quiet some ways off before they are finished.

The space exploration adventure rpg game is as of yet unnamed, and I only have the "ground mission" part of the game in any state to be shown (first picture).

The top-down rpg is the first game I started to work on, it's called Legend of Nausta.

ssg2.png
lon.png

Looks really good Dimascus, your spaceman looks like he might become the next Mario, Mega Man or Spaceman Spiff!

I can imagine having a lot of fun playing these games, so please be sure and make them fun okay? :)

SpacemanSpiff.jpg

Hmm yeah, I reckon Spaceman Spiff (from Calvin and Hobbes comic) would be a great character for a video game!

It's supposedly very difficult to contact the Bill Watterson, so it might be necessary to "do it first and ask later".

Not that I could do justice to it, would need a lot of animators and designers on the job.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi all i know a bit of c from my arduino programming so not much. i would like 2 learn how 2 port in my spare time as i am a complete n00b & that. i am currently learning java script and python as well.

hi all i know a bit of c from my arduino programming so not much. i would like 2 learn how 2 port in my spare time as i am a complete n00b & that. i am currently learning java script and python as well.j
i also know the basics of bash. btw if anyone could give me a course or a link to a cource on porting then pls do.

This is the algorithm for porting:

1. Try to compile the thing

2. Figure out what went wrong (e.g. missing dependencies)

3. Fix it (e.g. install the missing stuff)

4. Goto 1.

Sometimes this loop magically terminates and then the port succeeded! Great success!

uhm... gee dat rly helped. im talkin wats da deal with all dat gpl to opengl conversion and stuff? give me a tutorial example of a convraion.

idiot android fone...

Last edited by a moderator:
uhm... gee dat rly helped. im talkin wats da deal with all dat gpl to opengl conversion and stuff? give me a tutorial example of a convraion.

idiot android fone...

idiot android fone...

And this is an excellent object lesson for where a Pandora would beat a phone.

Back