Pandora Pandora And Python

Quilo

Still Fresh
I had a couple of questions and was hoping you could help me.

Tech Questions First
1) Can Pandora run Python?
2) What version of Python?

Opinion Questions:
3) In your opinion is Python a viable option for game development in Pandora? Yes? No? Why?

Why the frell do I ask this?
There is a chance I'm going to be teaching a Python+Pygame Programming Course at my university, this is a public course, not tied
to any degree in particular.
And I wanted to study the possibility of maybe making one of the classes about programming for Pandora. Since programming
for any other portable console(DS or PSP) is basically impossible, at least not without a HUGE hack.

1) Yes
2) python-shell_2.6.4, python-pygtk_2.16.0, python-pycairo_1.4.0, gnome-vfs-plugin-http_2.24.1, gnome-vfs-plugin-ftp_2.24.1
See more details here: http://www.open-pandora.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=2&Itemid=2&lang=en

3) Yes, it totally is, but you should use PyGame. There are several threads about this already in this section (search for "new to programming", "python", "pygame", etc. - they all still should be on the first 5 pages)

Teaching programming for the Pandora sound nice in theory, but I guess your students would only benefit from it if they actually had a Pandora to try their games on.
It might be a better approach to simply teach them open programming (and the advantages of it), using Python or C++ and SDL, so they write code which is platform independent and then give them the opportunity to compile it for the Pandora or any of the GPH handhelds (like the WIZ or Dingoo).

foxblock out

Thanks for your replies

Right now the course is going to focus mostly on Python 2d programming. Why? Because it's less of a hassle, this is a pilot course to
test the structure of a game programming class and its economic viability(After all the institute is a business as well), if this course
actually worked, the next step would probably be a full blown 3D course using python, pygame and openGL.

Why neglect C++?

Yes, C++ is the games industry standard, it's also a very complex and deep topic, especially when you involve 3D. But right now
our idea is to have something playable as fast as possible, so that students can get excited about game programming, and learn
about basic topics like computer graphics, physics, game design, playability, player interaction, etc...

that's how it should be done.

also, python on Pandora is one of the things I'm most excited about. Most (if not all) apps that are coming to a Pandora near you (that are authored by me) are going to be Python programs.

I have written a game for the Pandora, inspired by geometry wars. The first time I saw its double analogic controls I knew I had to write a 2D shoot-them-up for them.
I am a relatively experienced C++ developper, but I have chosen Python/Pygame to write this game. I wanted to improve my python skills, and I wanted to validate the use of Python for gaming.

Here is my feedback:
- In term of ease of development, I was amazed. I wrote a first playable verion of the game in some hours. Furthermore, unlike "beginner" langages like basic, Python tends to ease the writing of elegant code.
- In terms of performances, you should not expect miracles. Low level graphic operations are fine because they are handled by SDL, but code written in Python is slow. For my game (2D, high framerate required, large number of sprites), I had to make big efforts in terms of optimisation, and I still don't know how fast it will run on the Pandora (I could only run it on my PC so far, I don't know how slower will be my Pandora).

By the way, I am not sure that it will be easy to write 3D games in Python for the Pandora. There is Pyglet for this, but as far as I know, it does not handle OpenGL ES.

hal9000 said:
By the way, I am not sure that it will be easy to write 3D games in Python for the Pandora. There is Pyglet for this, but as far as I know, it does not handle OpenGL ES.
Yeah, from my research I wouldn't count on an easy way to do OpenGL ES from Python. I did find some tiny evidence that it might be possible, but that still leaves completeness and ease of use up in the air. The most reliable thing you could do is use Cython to interface with some OpenGL ES capable library, I think, and that adds a whole few more layers of complexity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone looked into SFML for Pandora? I read on their forums that somebody was going to write a version for the iPhone but I don't know if they released their source or not. If they did it would be an excellent starting point for either C++ or Python programmers.

Samurai_Crow said:
Has anyone looked into SFML for Pandora? I read on their forums that somebody was going to write a version for the iPhone but I don't know if they released their source or not. If they did it would be an excellent starting point for either C++ or Python programmers.
How about the latest bit of news on that link?
SFML News said:
Thanks to Svenstaro the version 1.6 of PySFML, the Python binding of SFML, is now ready. You can get the new packages on the download page.
Would that be an excellent starting point for Python programmers?

(I'm not actually trying to be smart - I'm not sure if that's what you meant)

Line O said:
Samurai_Crow said:
How about the latest bit of news on that link?
SFML News said:
Thanks to Svenstaro the version 1.6 of PySFML, the Python binding of SFML, is now ready. You can get the new packages on the download page.
Would that be an excellent starting point for Python programmers?

(I'm not actually trying to be smart - I'm not sure if that's what you meant)

It would be. What's in doubt is that it might not be the best starting point for Pandora programmers if it hasn't been ported to OpenGL-ES.

Back