Pandora Are you an active developer on Pandora?

u dont listen do u? i asked 4 a absoloute beginners tutorial to porting a game fully, from beginnin 2 end.

take le source, run le compila, link les libraries, create le pnd. u begin with 'take' and end up with a 'pnd'. it's dat simple.

As said in the other thread, learn first.

You won't be able to do this without even knowing how to compile stuff.

There are some porting tutorials around you can follow. Just search a bit.

Make yourself familiar with compiling and linking, maybe on your pc first.

Good luck and if you have real questions, that you cannot read up on with a simple googlesearch, don't hesitate to ask.

this is an excellent object lesson for where a Pandora would beat a phone.

I'm not sure all of that can be blamed on the phone.

Perhaps that person would like to sponsor a porting tutorial, for people who cannot correctly operate their phones.

I'd attempt it for $2000. _wb_ is one of the smartest and most helpful people here, in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
do you think it would be easier to write a game from scratch if im a noob than to port one?

No, and that you even ask this question shows you're probably not ready to do either.
I'm not so sure (about the "No" bit anyway!).

I've written hundreds of games over the years from scratch, but I wouldn't have a clue how to port one. (Yes, I know there are tuts available).I suppose "ease" is based on your motivation and volition really. Depends what you actually want to achieve.

I'm not so sure (about the "No" bit anyway!).

I've written hundreds of games over the years from scratch, but I wouldn't have a clue how to port one. (Yes, I know there are tuts available).I suppose "ease" is based on your motivation and volition really. Depends what you actually want to achieve.

It's possible that it really is easier for you to write a game from scratch, I'm sure depending on the game vs what you're porting. But he asked if it's easier for someone with no experience whatsoever like himself, and I'm going to stand by my assertion on this. Could you just imagine what it'd be like trying to hold his hand through the game writing process?

Yeah, okay, there are probably still cases where it's not true, it's probably easier for him to write Tetris than it is to port Doom 3, but since he just posed the question in general terms I'm going to go against extreme outlying cases.

Yeah, I know what you mean (and it probably is easier in technical terms to port a game than come up with everything from scratch), but like i said it all depends on his motivation and volition. And of course the teacher/tutor/tutorial teaching him. And the game itself! ;)

if i have absolourly no c experience and i want to port a game then it would be better for me to first get c experience (ie by writing a basic c game) than to start porting and mske a total mess of it. am i correct?

IMO, neither. If you have no experiance whatsoever, I suggest learning the language, buy a book, or read some online tutorials. Start with "Hello World" etc. You'll need to understand how syntax is defined, and what keywords do etc.

Games are complicated, so you really need to start at the beginning

i meant doing a game from a tutorial. therefore allowing me to learn the syntax and such. and by game i did not mean mario bros or somethin like that. more like tetris or something like that.

There is a thing called google. It's pretty new, so you probably didn't know about it. You can use it to find answers to all the question asked a thousand times and more.

No need to thank me.

I realize this thread is old, figured I'd throw my name in here and say "yeah, im workin on stuff"

All hail milkshake, creator of the great Pandora repo. <-- click here

He has implemented a "donate to the preorder fund" option for the repo.

If you're not asking donations for yourself, please go into your repo settings and select that option.

My Account -> Account Details -> Donate to Pandora fund

This can help get us past the pre-order crisis, and into a brave new world ...

fields of daisies, whole-grain organic dairy milk, freerange chooks, peace love and Cuban cigars for all!

That's one small click for a man, a giant leap for mankind.

All hail milkshake, creator of the great Pandora repo. <-- click here

He has implemented a "donate to the preorder fund" option for the repo.

If you're not asking donations for yourself, please go into your repo settings and select that option.

i've wanted to set this to my paypal account, but i couldn't figure out how to get that "paypal donation code" that is required for this. so i ticked the "donate to the preorder fund" now.

do i get any notification if someone donates now? would be nice ... or does ED get some more information maybe the application name the donation came from?

I set the option to "donate to the preorder fund" for my PNDs (System Info, Microbes, Flashlight, and the ports like GCompris and Enigma). I would also be interested to get notified if/when anyone actually donates.

Are any developers / porters waiting for their preorder? I would sort of prefer to help a dev get their Pandora, since this should benefit everyone.

Back