Pandora What's the best vector library for Pandora ?

ekianjo

Hardcore Member
I have been using Cairo with python bindings until now, but I find it's quite slow when it comes to doing screen animations.

I heard about the Fog-framework... the Skia library (used in Chrome), Azure (used in Firefox)... any idea if those would work on Pandora as well ?

Or is there any other better alternative than Cairo ?

AGG looks cool, but depending on the application I fear it might be too slow for the Pandora, since it does all computations with doubles. Haven't tried it though.

How about using Qt with the PyQt installer provided in the repo ? That could be working as a much faster alternative to Cairo (i heard Qt can be 6-10 times faster than Cairo for rendering vectors)

dont have any experience with it but for that sort of stuff GTK+ comes to mind. I would probably use it because of C.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm using SDL_gfx to draw stuff in Microbes, it's not extremely optimized but notaz made some tweaks to it so things like filled rectangles and filled circles are very fast now. But of course you can only use this to render to the screen - what's your application? If you need to manipulate SVGs or work with PostScript stuff, that's a different thing than drawing some lines to the screen.

I had planned to rework my vector graphics engine, but alas, it was another project I never finished :(

I'm using SDL_gfx to draw stuff in Microbes, it's not extremely optimized but notaz made some tweaks to it so things like filled rectangles and filled circles are very fast now. But of course you can only use this to render to the screen - what's your application? If you need to manipulate SVGs or work with PostScript stuff, that's a different thing than drawing some lines to the screen.

I was thinking of using SDL via pygame, yeah, but if possible I'd like to stay with a GUI environment, not a game library. I'll go and try the pyqt installer and see if it works.

Back