Pandora Are you an active developer on Pandora?

I do some stuff.

I only know scripting languages and only web langues:

PHP

Perl

JavaScript

html

Hoping to learn ruby/and on rails at work :) if the boss goes ahead with this.

I know your basic database stuff I can handle MySql and Oracle

I can do simple bash scripting.

I ported a couple of things to the pandora with mcobits help.

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=all&search=milkshake&s=new

My first proper bit of coding was building the repo.

I'm currently in an agile development team at work (I'm not permanent yet but hoping that I will get to be soon),

we do quick web/terminal prototyping in perl for the companies clients in a solutions role.

Not really, but I plan to be. I know most of C++ and some experience with Allegro. That is all.

My first proper bit of coding was building the repo.

Thank you for that :)

Not really, but I plan to be. I know most of C++ and some experience with Allegro. That is all.

What do you plan to develop?
Well, if anyone knows who LusikkaMage on youtube is, my first pandora project will be the simple Pickin' Sticks game, with some extra features. Nothing planned afterwards though, maybe a platformer.

Last edited by a moderator:

What do you plan to develop?
Well, if anyone knows who LusikkaMage on youtube is, my first pandora project will be the simple Pickin' Sticks game, with some extra features. Nothing planned afterwards though, maybe a platformer.

I can't remember seeing you in her IRC-channel :p
I just watch the videos, I haven't actually been to the site :p , or the IRC.

I've been meaning to start experimenting with porting a few games I play on my desktop but, so far, I've barely had time to improve my Pandora skills, what with all the catching-up I've been doing on backlogged TODO notes.

(To be honest, I'm still not entirely sure what the difference was between the seemingly correct but ignored OVR files I wrote by hand and the seemingly identical but working OVR files I generated using OVR editor)

I'll probably start with trying to get working copies of Tk, python-tkinter, and PySolFC bundled into a PND, then look into how difficult it would be to get things like I Have No Tomatoes and Widelands building and usable.

My skills:

• Python (Py2 so far. Last time I had sufficient free time, none of the the libraries I use like GTK+ bindings, LXML, Django, etc. were available for Py3)
  • Bourne shell script (notably, with experience making things run in the limited subset supported by dash)
  • General Linux experience (over half a decade using it exclusively as my desktop)
  • PHP (I don't like it, but nothing's cheaper to host)
  • HTML, CSS, client-side Javascript, and the jQuery API
  • CoffeeScript, but only recently
  • Vala
  • Entry-level C, C++, and makefile syntax (no automake or cmake experience yet)
  • Some partially-forgotten high school and university Java courses

(To be honest, I'm still not entirely sure what the difference was between the seemingly correct but ignored OVR files I wrote by hand and the seemingly identical but working OVR files I generated using OVR editor)
If I had to guess, I would say - line endings.

Unless OVRs are really badly designed and don't accept UNIX-style line-endings, I doubt it. I've run Linux exclusively for over half a decade now and I wrote the OVRs that didn't work right on the Pandora.

Oh. I forgot to list the languages I can code! How did I ever forget that?

Well, there's these:

Sinclair BASIC

BBC BASIC

Visual BASIC

And that's about it, I'm afraid. I've never needed any others, really and it's been a nice progression from the 80s through to now with the latest VB.

D.

Oh. I forgot to list the languages I can code! How did I ever forget that?

Well, there's these:

Sinclair BASIC

BBC BASIC

Visual BASIC

And that's about it, I'm afraid. I've never needed any others, really and it's been a nice progression from the 80s through to now with the latest VB.

D.
That reminds me, I've got 2 books that teaches game programming using Visual BASIC and Dark BASIC.

Professional software developer, only semi-active on Pandora projects lately due to a lack of time.

Proficient in languages such as Python, Java, C, C++, Delphi, Objective-C, Common-Lisp and elisp. I also ocasionally design my own domain specific languages.

I usually work on tools and utilities. Some of my current Pandora projects:

• OVR editor. I really need to update this thing...
  • TV out configuration
  • nub configurator
  • keepnote "port"
  • [w.i.p.] Pandora control panel
  • [on hold] XBMC based Pandora GUI (pnd launcher, appstore, app/rom launcher, etc...)

Aside from this I have several other applications and packages which I would like to develop and/or port, but I haven't started on them yet, so no sense posting them.

Interesting - so you are using XBMC just to display the elements to launch ?
Yes indeed. Display, bookmark, navigate...all UI stuff.

The project currently consists of several plugins:

• The PND/application launcher. This one scans for .desktop files and displays them in XBMC along with a preview image. Launching them will quit XBMC, launch the application and restart XBMC upon termination of the application.
  • The PNDstore. This one wraps the code used in PNDstore into an XBMC plugin (and segfaults on updates).
  • The rom launcher. From the XBMC repo, with some minor pandora specific fixes.

Unfortunately, the latest build of XBMC is rather unstable and it is quite a memory hog. I started this project a couple of years ago, but I haven't worked on it for quite a while.

Unless OVRs are really badly designed and don't accept UNIX-style line-endings, I doubt it. I've run Linux exclusively for over half a decade now and I wrote the OVRs that didn't work right on the Pandora.
I suspect line endings as well. Care to post an example?

Back