A summary of the last few weeks (2011-05-26)

When all PCBs have been populated, there will probably still be a few hundred to be fixed, some might even be unrecoverable (those poor boards will remain forever in our hearts... hey, I heard an easy way to dump unwanted boards is to bury them in the desert ;) )

Some of the unrecoverable boards might be sold to you for a cheaper price. It might be there will be boards that work but a couple of buttons are not usable, etc.
Buttons might be fixable, but would people buy boards without wifi, or with unusable SD slots?

Not all buttons might be fixable. If it's fixable, CC will fix it and it won't be one of the unrecoverable boards.

There might be broken traces in the multilayer boards, that cannot easily be fixed.

No doubt there would be people who would buy boards without WiFi. Maybe they just want to play? If they ever need WiFi, they could plug in a stick.

Maybe they want to setup the Pandora as low-power server? Use an USB->Ethernet adaptor, connect an USB Stick or a HDD to it, etc.

There are tons of ways to use such a board, and even selling it for little money is better than throwing it away.

They would be good for small MAME cabinets too (Bartop). Especially if are much cheaper than a Beagleboard. Would need TV out cable though I guess. The current one I am building has an LCD with no Composite-in so I would have trouble unless I use an LCD TV etc. The box is extra large as the monitor will be 90 deg rotating for vertical games.

100_0163.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
HF6 will most probably be the last Hotfix before we move on to a major new OS version, based on the lates main OE (OpenEmbedded).

A first version is already up and running and we will do active testing and bug finding now.

When is the first beta or RC of HF6 comming out? If it doesn't make sense to test HF6 (because it's only a hotfix-release) would it be possible to help you testing with the new major-release? Is there already something like an official pandora-alpha/beta-testing-group?

They would be good for small MAME cabinets too (Bartop). Especially if are much cheaper than a Beagleboard. Would need TV out cable though I guess. The current one I am building has an LCD with no Composite-in so I would have trouble unless I use an LCD TV etc. The box is extra large as the monitor will be 90 deg rotating for vertical games.

I was thinking about something similar, since the beagleboards are a bit too pricey for me ATM.

And I have some other plans like making a two players Dreamcast arcade controller with an "emulated" VMU. (without hacking an actual dreamcast controller)

A Pandora with it's screen, SD card reader and powerful processor would be ideal.
tongue.gif

4. What about the OS?

HF6 will most probably be the last Hotfix before we move on to a major new OS version, based on the lates main OE (OpenEmbedded).

A first version is already up and running and we will do active testing and bug finding now.

How about two versions of the OS? One for the NAND installed OS and the other for people who run the OS off of SD card that has all of the stuff that wouldn't fit in NAND?

You know, you're able to install the "NAND version" to an SD card and add as many softwares as you want yourself
wink.gif

Thank you ED for this long post update report. Any chance to update the current status page http://www.openpandora.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=98&Itemid=13&lang=en ?

That's where I look first.

Now I am just wondering how long it takes you to complete a Pandora. Any chance to capture your webcam movie and put it on the site like the OneVideoPerDay series? Turning it into an instruction video for a schoolproject for a technical school nearby.

Just kidding(?)

regards,

iArnold

Thanks for the update!

If only I knew when my unit is going to be shipped... But I guess it will be some day, so I'll try to be patient.

Thanks very much for the update ED, and thanks for the explanation of what happened with the numbers posts.

It's also good to know that despite sticking with my batch order, I've not short changed you guys (yet! - we're not there yet!)

another car fire, from Craigs twitter: Latest disaster news: Car with postal tracking number book in bursts in to flames, destroys book, then itself. I'd have done the same.

NOOOO... my tracking no. was in there :(

Luckily Deb (the cars owner) is shaken but ok, which is the important part.

but atleast the pandora is getting some real boasting rights.. how many other consoles have "survived" now two cars bursting into flames and two volcano eruptions to mention some of the problems, and is still going strong? :p

edit: fixed pictures not showing

yes nice update but I still don't know when i could get my pandora, I said before I am patient(and I still do)

but that will be very very very nice if I could get an expecting date like... about august... you know what I am saying?

anyway good job.

yes nice update but I still don't know when i could get my pandora, I said before I am patient(and I still do)

but that will be very very very nice if I could get an expecting date like... about august... you know what I am saying?

anyway good job.
I assume I'll have it before the Wii U.

But I really want to have the pandora really soon!

Please send it to me ;-)

8 June 2011- I always thought would not worry unless did not have it by second week in June (2011).

Now I am starting to worry!

The number of preorders being shipped has to be very low that's a fact.

The number of preorders being shipped has to be very low that's a fact.

I believe the current accepted estimate is 100-150 a week, but every week. But then, I can't read German and I'm not here that much.

Back