Status summary (2010-10-31)

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Well, since some guys only visit the boards once a week, I thought it might be a good idea summarizing things.

Batch 1:

• Boards: According to the board production company in Texas, the boards should all be finished in time (when the nubs arrive). We hope this is true, but that's what they claim.
  • Nubs: Michael got the samples of the new version. So far they look fine. A mass production run is about to start on Monday, and those nubs will ALL be tested. If they pass, the real mass production run start. We expect the nubs to arrive in about 7 - 10 days at the board production company in Texas.
  • Cases: 2000 are lying in UK, ready to get stocked with the boards. The rest 1000 should be there within the next few weeks (so in time with the boards).

Batch 2:

• Basically, everything for Batch 2 is prepared and ready to go right after Batch 1. So if the board company sticks to their promise, they should start soon, as well.
  • In case the board company is too slow with producing the units, we're also looking into another new company to produce Pandoras. Whether they both produce boards (faster) or only one will produce the boards in the future is something we'll find out (depending on reliability and speed). We'll keep you posted.

Other misc things:

• We're looking in having the nubs socketed, so they can be easily replaced in the future. If the planned design works, they will be completely compatible with the current boards, so if any nubs fail on Batch 1 or 2 units, they can be replaced with the socketed versions.
  • The WiFi module manufacturer has just been sent a Pandora to help us find out what issues we have. Might be a calibration issue, which would be great, as then they only need to calibrate a unit, send us the files and we can tell the driver to load it. notaz has also been working on WiFi and fixed the stalls! So most units should work pretty good with this new driver (soon to be released).
  • We're also looking into making the LCD cables more robust. So far, except for about 5 (out of 600), only the ones if the first units have failed - but better be safe than sorry. The new cables will of course be compatible, so in case yours will ever fail, you'll get a new more robust one.

That's it for now :)

I'll try to keep you updated.

And thanks for sticking with us - we're trying hard improving all the issues we currently have :)

Thanks for the update ED. As a 2nd batcher that ordered only last July I'm getting pretty used to the 2 month cycle already :p All OPT updates, developer/development insights, forum 'fights' (& friendships of course) and general openness of the proces, product and community make good entertainmaint while waiting so I'm sticking with you guys!

Thanks for the update ED. As a 2nd batcher that ordered only last July I'm getting pretty used to the 2 month cycle already :p All OPT updates, developer/development insights, forum 'fights' (& friendships of course) and general openness of the proces, product and community make good entertainmaint while waiting so I'm sticking with you guys!

We're depending on some other companies - but we're trying to make them produce as fast as possible.

And also looking for alternatives in case it doesn't work out.

And we're not gonna let ourselves demotivate - we want to show that there IS a way a community interested in OpenSource and not closed device can achieve something together if they want :)

ED,

How long will the Board Company need to solder the Nubs on the 3,000 or so of the remaining boards?

If this is in weeks are you going to ask them to part ship?

Morale would be served well if Pandoras started to flow again and we had a few more elated I've-got-mine postings.

ED,

How long will the Board Company need to solder the Nubs on the 3,000 or so of the remaining boards?

If this is in weeks are you going to ask them to part ship?

Morale would be served well if Pandoras started to flow again and we had a few more elated I've-got-mine postings.

Well, they claimed they can do 500 Pandora boards from scratch per week, so they should be able to just solder nubs on way faster.

I don't trust their claim though (sounds like marketing ;) ), but we'll see.

Of course we'll go for part shipments. We're trying to achieve a consistent flow.

Well, since some guys only visit the boards once a week, I thought ...
i envy you people that have the will to not visit these boards 3-19 times a day

oh and whats the status of the community investment idea?

Last edited by a moderator:
i envy you people that have the will to not visit these boards 3-19 times a day

oh and whats the status of the community investment idea?

I wish I only visited 3-19 times a day.. I think I have a problem..

Have you had any luck getting more photos from board company? As in, ones that show more than a few hundred boards at once.

I wish I only visited 3-19 times a day.. I think I have a problem..
For those of you that have self control flee now and do not return for 7 days.

Leave Trashy, DaMummy and myself to our sad addiction. Go now before it is too late.

ED, Half of me wants to wait and see and half of me wants to know about delays before they happen and the remaining 50% believes the Board Company are honourable and true to their word. :p

Have you had any luck getting more photos from board company? As in, ones that show more than a few hundred boards at once.
I could "shop" that photo so it looks like there is a hall with 2000 boards if that would make you feel better.

Thanks Ed, a really great update!

Hopefully all these companies can get their acts together, and deliver everything by the end of november(or ASAP). That way the team can make a mad run at Christmas, and deliver as many units as possible to the masses for the holiday. :lol:

To all those community members who are still waiting, please beleive me when I say "The Pandora is a great device", that was created by the community for the community. I have been on both sides of the delay fence many times over the last 2 years. I have spoken for and against the team more times than I can count, but for those of you who are still interested, and haven't moved on to some new smartphone(cough..Crap), this is still a one of a kind item that still deserves your time and money.

It really sucks that so many are still waiting, and have yet to get what they preordered so long ago, but everytime I pick my unit up and use it, I can say each time...."I can not beleive that this device was put together by a handful of dedicated fans". It still boggles my mind on a daily basis that there haven't been even more problems, and that the team hasn't thrown in the towel and filed bankruptcy.

So to all still involved and waiting, please hang in there and try and give the team your support(if money is tight, get a refund). This project goes against everything out in the market, and really deserves a chance to succeed. There will alwyas be another smartphone, GPH device, ect. that may be of interest to you, but a project like this really only comes along once in a lifetime. So if the team is willing to put it all on the line, I'm still here willing to do the same. Good luck to us all! ;)

Chris

Thanks Ed, a really great update!

Hopefully all these companies can get their acts together, and deliver everything by the end of november(or ASAP). That way the team can make a mad run at Christmas, and deliver as many units as possible to the masses for the holiday. :lol:

Trying to ship anything the last two weeks of December is just nuts. You'd never be able to book air freight for a reasonable price, and if you try to mail out packages they will get delayed.

If the pandoras aren't shipped to customers by the first week of December, you're unlikely to receive it until after Christmas.

ED,

What's the status of cases for Batch 2?

Peace & Pandora,

Link

I'd like to second this question. I seemed to remember that the case company were shipping 4000 cases after the initial 1000 shipment, so the first 1000 of second batch cases were meant to arrive on the boat from China. But there was a lot of confusion regarding the shipping of the cases, so things may well have changed - but I'd appreciate clarification either way, thanks.

I'd like to second this question. I seemed to remember that the case company were shipping 4000 cases after the initial 1000 shipment, so the first 1000 of second batch cases were meant to arrive on the boat from China. But there was a lot of confusion regarding the shipping of the cases, so things may well have changed - but I'd appreciate clarification either way, thanks.
It's happening after Batch 1. :p

Bottom line is that if the Board Company are true to their word with Batch 1 has been produced as promised and they can be relied upon then ED will not doubt ask them to make Batch 2 else I think Batch 2 will switch suppliers to a larger company. Whilst this is likely to delay things a little for Batch 2 it should result in a steady, reliable stream of boards.

But given Batch 1's issues those 4001+ in the queue will just have to back off until I get mine. :p

Well, since some guys only visit the boards once a week, I thought it might be a good idea summarizing things.

Batch 1:

• Boards: According to the board production company in Texas, the boards should all be finished in time (when the nubs arrive). We hope this is true, but that's what they claim.
  • Nubs: Michael got the samples of the new version. So far they look fine. A mass production run is about to start on Monday, and those nubs will ALL be tested. If they pass, the real mass production run start. We expect the nubs to arrive in about 7 - 10 days at the board production company in Texas.
  • Cases: 2000 are lying in UK, ready to get stocked with the boards. The rest 1000 should be there within the next few weeks (so in time with the boards).

Batch 2:

• Basically, everything for Batch 2 is prepared and ready to go right after Batch 1. So if the board company sticks to their promise, they should start soon, as well.
  • In case the board company is too slow with producing the units, we're also looking into another new company to produce Pandoras. Whether they both produce boards (faster) or only one will produce the boards in the future is something we'll find out (depending on reliability and speed). We'll keep you posted.

Other misc things:

• We're looking in having the nubs socketed, so they can be easily replaced in the future. If the planned design works, they will be completely compatible with the current boards, so if any nubs fail on Batch 1 or 2 units, they can be replaced with the socketed versions.
  • The WiFi module manufacturer has just been sent a Pandora to help us find out what issues we have. Might be a calibration issue, which would be great, as then they only need to calibrate a unit, send us the files and we can tell the driver to load it. notaz has also been working on WiFi and fixed the stalls! So most units should work pretty good with this new driver (soon to be released).
  • We're also looking into making the LCD cables more robust. So far, except for about 5 (out of 600), only the ones if the first units have failed - but better be safe than sorry. The new cables will of course be compatible, so in case yours will ever fail, you'll get a new more robust one.

That's it for now :)

I'll try to keep you updated.

And thanks for sticking with us - we're trying hard improving all the issues we currently have :)

Will the new LCD cables affect either of the two current batches? I'm willing to deal with all sorts of minor issues/failures, but the screen starting to short on me is going to drive me nuts.

If this is happening soon I'd even consider falling back in the queue to get a unit with a thicker, more durable LCD cable. I do not want to have to ship my Pandora overseas a couple months after getting it...

Back