Status summary (2010-10-31)

It's quite funny reading some of the comments after the "don't whinge" post above. I really remember how long ago it was that I was doing this because when I originally ordered my Pandora (1st October 2008), I actually thought I'd have it by December, which was when I was going to compete in a large international car rally and I wanted to use it to keep all my info, etc., on - rally times, PDFs issued by the event of decision, etc. And the original emails said about shipping "soon" and so on - I've still got them somewhere.

Of course, now it's another 2 years on, and still nothing. I'm doing the same rally again next week, and thankfully this time I have a device to keep all that info on (and in fact do a lot more, it has GPS, lots of rally-useful programs, etc - it's a Desire if you're wondering). And it puts into context just how LONG we've been waiting, and just how MUCH the world of tech has changed since then. I really don't expect to see my Pandora this side of Christmas; we've heard every reason in the book, and I'm sure that OPT have worked hard on this, but I'm not convinced they've worked smart on it, in terms of production (which, lets face it has taken 2 years and then some). I'm still looking forward to getting my Pandora, eventually, but it's not the item it would have been 2 years ago. I've basically given up looking on here, I may come here once a week to see if there's any "news", but it's a world away from the daily checks that I used to do 2 years ago.

If that makes me a "whinger", then you're deluded, IMO.

I find it amazing that people come on here and criticise the 'whingers'.

I ordered at xmas 2009 thinking that I'd sidestepped the development period (selfishly I suppose) and being told that they were going to be shipping in January - looking back now it seems hilarious that people were concerned that Chinese new year was going to get in the way!

Anyway, this isn't actually a whinge, but I do keep having the funny thought - I wonder if us late batch 1ers will get their units after a longer period than the first day orderers? I know it's highly unlikely, but I'm not ruling it out...

Edit: Ninja'd by djaychela - or show I say whinga'd? :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered my Pandora in July of this year, so I'm not counting on seeing it in the forseeable future. But I knew that when I ordered, so it's not particularly bothersome to see the development process hit roadblocks. It's really not worth getting worked up over. The OP team is doing everything they can. I'm a batch 2, so I honestly don't know when I'll see my Pandora.

The way I look at it is this - it's a lot like waiting for a game you've been anticipating coming out. Would you rather they released it half-done, rushed and terrible, or would you rather wait a bit longer and get the full experience, fully functional as the developers intended?

The more the Pandora ages as a project, the better it will get.

The way I look at it is this - it's a lot like waiting for a game you've been anticipating coming out. Would you rather they released it half-done, rushed and terrible, or would you rather wait a bit longer and get the full experience, fully functional as the developers intended?
Given the number of people that have pre-ordered Minecraft and quite enjoy it despite its heavy alpha status, I would say the former :p

On the other hand, given the number of people that frequently complain about the bugs despite it being in heavy alpha make me RAGE, so the latter.

On the other other hand, you can't just patch a Pandora when a bug is fixed, so it's a moot comparison anyway :p

So the take-home-message for me as a batch-twoer is that I won't get my pandora until probably a few years have past? Really? Are you guys really that pessimistic about the project...or probably, you know these people a lot better than I do? From what I've seen, albeit that I am new, these guys have made tremendous progress since their state two years ago...or am I incorrect?

Anyway, this isn't actually a whinge, but I do keep having the funny thought - I wonder if us late batch 1ers will get their units after a longer period than the first day orderers? I know it's highly unlikely, but I'm not ruling it out...
I'm a day one preorderer but based off my order number at ED's shop the ratio of completed pandoras going to ED's shop vs craig's I've determined that I'll see the approximate 2000th actual pandora off the line, seeing how I'm about halfway through the 1st batch and I ordered somewhere between 1200-1400EST (1700-1900UT) I would go as far as to believe that 1st day preorders run almost into the 3000's mark. Then seeing the order dates between pandora 3000 and 4000 might vary by up to a year or more, it wouldn't be much of a stretch to see the actual difference in time the 3000th and 4000th rolls off the production line will probably be a matter of less than a week or two. (2000-4000 I bet will be a month or more in reality) It would be rather frustrating to see the who made out the best.

besides those one nub club assholes... I think you guys shouldn't be able to return your pandoras for repairs until the 2nd batch has completed, and the pandoras themselves should have been marked as bad nubs and the units can't be rma'd for nub related issues. I really really really disagreed with the query jumping on that deal. That was dirtier than the cherry picked +800mhz, 100 pandoras idea... which I was in great disagreement with as well

EDIT: @noobermin time flows differently in regards to the pandora project.... looking at the project over the past few years as a whole makes it seem like the time flew by and they have completed so much in such a small amount of time, but following the project day to day year after year.... every 2 weeks is an eternity, of which there are an immeasurable amount of 2 weeks in the past two+ years

So the take-home-message for me as a batch-twoer is that I won't get my pandora until probably a few years have past? Really? Are you guys really that pessimistic about the project...or probably, you know these people a lot better than I do? From what I've seen, albeit that I am new, these guys have made tremendous progress since their state two years ago...or am I incorrect?
I pre-ordered on day one and have been following the boards on an almost daily basis ever since.

This feeling of progress has always been there, yet to wrap up the last problem always seemed to take Two Months. The problem is that whenever those months pass a new (unmentioned?) problem shows up.

ED has done a tremendously impressive job at holding this community together by explaining in detail what the problems were and what was being done to remedy them. Unfortunately, the problems tend to come from their business partners and they don't have enough experience, leverage and/or money to really do anything about it.

So, what to expect? I'm not a OP representative, but based on past experiences I'm fairly certain that it's impossible for the first batch to ship this year.

To quote Craig from a year or two ago: "I'm prepared to say July" :unsure: (year intentionally left out)

besides those one nub club assholes...
Well, I'm not particularly happy with the fact that they own a Pandora and I don't, but they cannot be blamed for making use of a deal offered by the OP team. There's no reason to insult them.

Well, I'm not particularly happy with the fact that they own a Pandora and I don't, but they cannot be blamed for making use of a deal offered by the OP team. There's no reason to insult them.
ok sorry for grouping them all together, but I'm sure there's a couple of people that had the idea of jumping the line to get a gimped pandora, then turn right about and trade it in for a good one once the problem has been resolved. Still getting theirs before the rest who have waited. Basically increasing the time between me and my pandora

ok sorry for grouping them all together, but I'm sure there's a couple of people that had the idea of jumping the line to get a gimped pandora, then turn right about and trade it in for a good one once the problem has been resolved. Still getting theirs before the rest who have waited. Basically increasing the time between me and my pandora
Sure, that's why I'm also not too happy about it. Nevertheless, we both had the option to do the same and decided not to.

When your a new small start up company with no credit history chances are suppliers want to be paid up front. Paging community investors.

That may be so but, I'm pretty sure it was posted that OPT have an agreement with the current company that no payment is due until boards are produced, therefore if the same arrangement can be made with an alternative supplier then its is relatively risk free to OPT (subject to testing).

Does anyone know whether a liquidated damages clause could be used in any future contracts? It seems these delays are causing the company harm, so I think it would be allowed, but I'm not a lawyer. Or would demanding such a clause essentially end negotiations with a supplier?

Does anyone know whether a liquidated damages clause could be used in any future contracts? It seems these delays are causing the company harm, so I think it would be allowed, but I'm not a lawyer. Or would demanding such a clause essentially end negotiations with a supplier?
It probably would have halted talks with OPT being a startup. There are a lot of startups, every single one thinks they have the next revolution on their hands and a surprising number of them fail quickly. A supplier doesn't want to do all kinds of work for a company that may not exist next month.

If OPT can get the first Pandora out the door, however, establish themselves and actually make a reasonable cash deposit that can be funneled into future projects, I believe suppliers may be much more willing to negotiate parts and development for a Pandora 2.

GUYS, guys guys, I wasn't intending to start a lot of flames here, it was an innocent little stab, i'm sorry that you've taken it all the wrong way. I've been watching since this project was just laying its roots, but then I had no cash - so it has in a way been 2 years - the only difference is that I didn't put money in - I'm not saying you have no reason to whinge about it, go ahead! No really, that second point was a joke right form the start! I've had my heart sink with each delay of batch1 even though I hadn't ordered yet! Guys, I really really didn't mean to actually piss anyone off!

Well, maybe I do want to get to the people who never have and never will order a Pandora that do like to hang around and hate. But that's beyond the scope of THIS argument. And hey, look! A new news thread.

Maybe one day you'll forgive me - sorry guys. Insult ME all you like, I won't hold a grudge, I never do(THAT's why i'll keep that high and mighty attitude. Thanks man :) ).

lol, why does it always seem that the Aussie guy always starts the fight? :p

oh well, I guess it's just the Aussie way

EDIT: Comment removed incase it was taken the wrong way - don't worry, nothing to do with 'before'.(It was on the topic of 'Aussies') ;)

Back