A daily report from the Rebirth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Link

ithic.com
Website
www.ithic.com
Linux-SWAT and I started working on (re)organizing the various boxes from Circuit Co and Craig in PandoraLand on Monday.

We've discussed trying to do some type of daily update on the little things we are doing to basically begin production.

On Monday, we organized buttons, light pipes, D-Pads, WiFi antenna. Yesterday started with organizing various parts of the Pandora case, and it took us a few hours just to get through one box. We organized things that can be used for refurbishing Pandoras in the future. Some case parts needed to be scrapped, and there are some that have flaws like scratches or dents that we saved so they can be distributed to people maybe wanting to do case modifications or painting.

After lunch, when we thought we were finished with that part of the project, basically ripping apart Pandora cases, EvilDragon found us another box to work on of the same calibre of parts that we worked on until the day was finished.

We are writing this to let you know that things are moving along here, and very shortly there will hopefully be new Pandoras to be assembled. The only delay to September's plan was around Christmas last year when the prototype boards were being built, which took a few additional days, which meant that we couldn't get the order into China to start producing PCBs until after Chinese New Year which just finished last week.

But all the news is good, and we'll be learning shortly if there are going to be any additional tweaks done to assembly here in Germany once we have boards from China.

I don't know what is in store for us today, but the one thing I can say is that ripping apart a few dozen Pandora cases is not an easy task. My hands are raw, I have a huge blister on my thumb half the size of my thumbnail with another popped blister further down my thumb. I also almost fell under the train leaving FOSDEM which must have been very entertaining to watch. Luckily I was able to retrieve my suitcase which did manage to get under the train.

Things are moving along. It's really happening!

Today is D-Pad glueing onto keymats. Pics to follow from LinuxSWAT.

It's really happening!

Last edited by a moderator:
doh, wish I was single and wasn't plagged for life by mortgage since I bought a house... I'dd love giving a hand there...

Had no idea that there were community members helping out with Pandora assembly.

Good luck guys, hope you enjoy your time in Germany.

Viva la Pandora :)

NO! Not the mind probe!

nonono.jpg

nono2.jpg

And there is more, that's all from recycled units. Usually case failures or LCD cables.

Awesome news going on in this thread, methinks! :D

Today is D-Pad glueing onto keymats. Pics to follow from LinuxSWAT.
Be careful not to glue any d-pads to your fingers - I seem to recall it being said that that adhesive is ludicrously strong industrial-strength stuff! :p

Link is in Germany? But I thought the shop was in the US. Did you take some time off and fly across the Atlantic for the sole purpose of helping to assemble Pandoras or something? 'cause if so I think you deserve a medal. :D

Link is in Germany? But I thought the shop was in the US. Did you take some time off and fly across the Atlantic for the sole purpose of helping to assemble Pandoras or something? 'cause if so I think you deserve a medal. :D
Yes. Hoping to help the US customers with distribution and minor repairs so that Pandoras don't have to fly across the pond so often.

Wow, some amazing effort there. Kudos to Link for helping out so generously :)

Also nice to see you are becoming an "official" retailer, US customers will probably appreciate that. Keep it up!

Hi there.

Just to add that things are moving fast and well.

I planned to go to help in UK some time ago but couldn't, so being here now, when things are going that way, is awesome.

There's plenty of soon-to-be Pandoras here so we will be ready to put made in Germany 512M boards in it.

Today, we were selecting the finest keyboards, gluing D-pads on it.

Sometimes, its hard to detect the defective ones, so we double-checked most of them. Anyway, they will be checked again with the testing software.

We have done about 270.

I saw for the first time a TV out cable : it rocks.

N64 rendering is better than the real console :) .

We also met a German community member (sry remember me your nick plz, i am a bit tired) and had good time while gluing.

Apart that the city is nice, it's sooo cold, and we eat well.

Oh, and the bavarian beer kicked my butt like i only drank water in my whole life :) .

Will post pictures soon.

Very nice Pictures, guys. :)

Apart that the city is nice, it's sooo cold, and we eat well.

Oh, and the bavarian beer kicked my butt like i only drank water in my whole life :) .
Usualy, it is not THAT could here in germany (it was actualy way to warm from November till January) but at the Moment, weather seems to make some cold records.

German beer is good I think, even if I don't drink it. But beware to eat "Weisswurst". :D Try to find some decent "Currywurst", which is not easy to find in Bavaria I guess. ^^"

Awesome stuff! This is Pandora excitement all over again. Great to finally see a good flow of information, I guess it helps having someone with a second or two to spare... although where you're getting that second beats me; you look busier than God.

Still, thank you all the more for taking the time to bash out these updates, with raw hands no less!

( insert Zelda reference to Link and heroism here )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back