A daily report from the Rebirth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice pics! Thanks for helping out, guys, and thanks for the updates.

Question: the blisters, are they from pulling apart the lid assembly? If so I'm curious as to the method you folks are using to take it apart.

PTOD message is sweet. Plus Ingoldstadt looks like a model village, like a replica or something. That point about the illuminati founding there is starting to seem less like toyville though, plus evil Michael, although the food looks good, so perhaps its safe to stay at such a hostel :) Do the local children need placating with sweets?

Nice pics! Thanks for helping out, guys, and thanks for the updates.

Question: the blisters, are they from pulling apart the lid assembly? If so I'm curious as to the method you folks are using to take it apart.
Regarding the blisters, you are correct, they are from pulling apart the lid assembly. Times 20-30 Pandoras in one day. I've been accused of having soft hands, perhaps that's why I got them and Linux-SWAT didn't, because he's a guitar player.

Taking apart the lid is perhaps the biggest challenge of the Pandora, or maybe its the hinge.... The base of my palm still hurts from trying to push the hinge out of units. If I had to do that right now, I might cringe and be able to do that on one or two Pandoras, definetly not 20-30. That area is still tender.

We were ripping apart lids that were pre-assembled for boards that never arrived and these LCDs also had the older cable, which fails over time. So we cut those cables while taking them apart. This process didn't need to be done on the lids with new LCD cables.

This should never have to be done again, ripping open 20-30 Pandoras in a day, more like 50-60 because there were two of us. We managed to do this without breaking one LCD, so it was a success, other than my hands. Sometimes parts of the case break while taking them apart, but case parts are easier on the wallet than a new LCD.

Ouch...

Well, not sure if this will help you any, but here's a tool I made from a paperclip that I've been using to take the lid apart. It's just a common large paperclip with a hook on one end (the units on the mat are in inches), with the hook tip shaped a bit and filed to remove burrs. I wasn't able to pull the lid apart the way ED showed in one of his videos, but this tool really helped me out.

pandora_lid_puller.jpg

Few more pics:

P1030788.jpg
P1030789.jpg
P1030791.jpg
P1030792.jpg

And a YouTube vid of the tool in action:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/PSnSBvmpr88?feature=oembed

Edit: Forgot to mention, by the time I took the vid, I had taken the lid apart perhaps 10-15 times in dry runs. The screw holes do take a little bit of a beating, but the damage is very minimal, and you can't see it when the screws are back in the hole. The thumb I used to pry the case apart to allow the puller to do its work is hurting a bit now tho. I can see why you'd get blisters from it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, where were you on Tuesday!?!

Nice work there as I thought there should be an easier way, you just proved it. We were breaking the seal at 3 & 9 O'Clock and then starting with the right side we would work counter clockwise to remove the lid. You made this look so EASY. Is that tool Open Source? Or do you have it patented already?

:p

Got any tricks for the hinge?

Lol, sorry I couldn't have shared this sooner..! I've been pretty busy with some freelance deadlines so I wasn't around as much. I didn't know if someone had already thought of it, either.

It's pretty much just a tiny homemade scribe. Not sure they make them this small, but paperclips are cheap. ;)

I was thinking about the hinge as I watched ED pull it apart in his vid. I think I might have an idea, but I can't test it since I don't have the hinge part to try it on. If someone doesn't think of something before I get my unit, I might try some stuff out since I'd been wanting to mod my case anyway.

FYI, removing the hinge can damage it, so it would be beneficial for you to have a back or two. Or a DS hinge as it fits to replace the Pandora hinge.

Pro tip: before uploading pictures, you can open them all up in gthumb (GNOME photo viewing/touchup application), select all, hit the batch tools button, and pick the "Rotate Physically". It will look at all of the EXIF tags in the images and then rewrite the actual JPEG data in the right orientation, for compatibility with software that doesn't check the EXIF orientation tag. As far as I know, this is lossless as long as the image width and height are a multiple of 8 (it warns you otherwise).

To be fair though, this is not very important compared to the other stuff you are doing. I hope you at least get to walk away with an extra Pandora for your troubles.

I'm pretty sure there is an easier way of getting the hinges out, but I can't remember it off of the top of my head. I know it's been mentioned around here somewhere, though - it might have been something Stan said...

Yay, seems to be a nice tool.

Don't have anything to rotate pictures quickly sry.

A plate screwdriver is fine for the hinge, pushing with the plate side.

Yesterday (saturday), we planned to go to Munich. As Link finally opted for a nap, i went alone in a city i never went to.

At the Ingolstadt station, i saw an anonymous, masked.

I met him again in the train and managed to take a picture.

Found this kinda like strange.

Was an anti acta protest ! Anonymous everywhere !

Germany hopefully kicked acta.

Munich is surprising. Massive. Bells rang so loud i barely hear now.

I found a pen which can repair traces on boards in a neat shop called conrad.

Then i followed a river, heading north, in a looong park, seeing joggers jogging, dogs sticking around, happy in the snow.

Then the sun vanished and it was kinda like, well, the night.

I like to walk around so i planned to go see a guitar shop far away, but i never found it ^^.

It may has been my coldest walking trip, ate a little but often so fortunately had some supply.

The food here in Germany is very salty for me, and salt is already too much in France.

People is nice, helpful. It's also very well organized.

I have to confess i crossed certains streets the parisian way, ie. when it's possible.

I usually shoot a lot during my trips. I'm afraid you will not see any Pandora here ;) .

dsc03990.jpg

dsc03991.jpg

dsc03992.jpg

dsc03993.jpg

dsc03994.jpg

dsc03995.jpg

dsc03998.jpg

dsc03999.jpg

dsc04000.jpg

dsc04001.jpg

dsc04002.jpg

dsc04003.jpg

dsc04004.jpg

dsc04005.jpg

dsc04006.jpg

dsc04007.jpg

dsc04008.jpg

dsc04009.jpg

dsc04010.jpg

dsc04011.jpg

dsc04012.jpg

dsc04013.jpg

dsc04014.jpg

dsc04015.jpg

dsc04016.jpg

dsc04017.jpg

dsc04018.jpg

dsc04019.jpg

dsc04020.jpg

dsc04021.jpg

dsc04022.jpg

dsc04023.jpg

dsc04024.jpg

dsc04025.jpg

dsc04026.jpg

dsc04027.jpg

dsc04028.jpg

dsc04029.jpg

dsc04030.jpg

dsc04031.jpg

dsc04032.jpg

dsc04033.jpg

dsc04034.jpg

dsc04035.jpg

dsc04036.jpg

dsc04037.jpg

dsc04038.jpg

dsc04039.jpg

dsc04040.jpg

dsc04041.jpg

-1 for not having pandora in any of those pictures, especially with Anon crew

-1 for not having pandora in any of those pictures, especially with Anon crew
We discussed this tonight at dinner. It's pretty damn cold out, I just broke out my camera yesterday for the most part.

Check out my Birthday present from ED (and the community technically). 4 of 20 :D

IMG_0857.jpg

IMG_0856.jpg

Today were about rest and food.

Walked on the ice for the first time. It's a bit scary at first.

Took dinner at ED's house, eating a good raclette :) .

Link had a nice present as u can see.

I think it will be my birthday too next week.

Will try to rotate next pictures tomorrow.

dsc04084.jpg

dsc04085.jpg

dsc04086.jpg

dsc04089.jpg

dsc04091.jpg

dsc04093.jpg

dsc04094.jpg

dsc04095.jpg

dsc04096.jpg

dsc04097.jpg

dsc04098.jpg

dsc04099.jpg

dsc04100.jpg

dsc04101.jpg

dsc04102.jpg

dsc04103.jpg

dsc04104.jpg

dsc04105.jpg

dsc04106.jpg

dsc04107.jpg

dsc04108.jpg

dsc04109.jpg

dsc04110.jpg

dsc04111.jpg

dsc04114.jpg

dsc04115.jpg

dsc04116.jpg

Check out my Birthday present from ED (and the community technically). 4 of 20 :D
Are those fresh boards? They look delicious! :D

Some of the bare boards from the production run that haven't been populated.

The metal stencil didn't fit 100% at that time, so they couldn't be used for production. Those were basically the solder testing PCBs before the prototype production :)

^

REV 6D

According to ED, these will never be found in a 4 pack like this again as boards will only be doubles coming from China. Not all them were populated, so these are about as fresh as they get until things show up from China.

:ph34r: 'd by ED of course :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back