A daily report from the Rebirth

Status
Not open for further replies.
I swapped hinges on a DS and it was incredibly tricky...

This is the one failing of the Pandora IMO (apart from no decent wifi...) - I like to play with the screen at an angle (like the DS).

Can we have a definitive answer on whether or not DS hinges can be swapped with the existing ones. This is a mod I would _REALLY_ like to do.

My lid/lcd is already getting 'loose' and I fear soon the stiffness will soon be gone completely.
It is my understanding that swapping a DS hinge will work.

The difficulty is opening up your own unit and getting the hinge out safely. It takes a lot of force. Issues to consider are cracking the case in places it wasn't cracked prior to doing so. Sometimes the removed hinge is no longer useable. I would only recommend this type of work to an experienced tinkerer and someone who's maybe watched a lot of EDs videos regarding LCD cable replacement etc.

We had new help arrive on the scene today, ED's father, and Askarus. Linux-SWAT decided to enjoy some last minute Fasching activities which seemed to be pretty crazy today as well. Pirates in the street stopping cars was one of the things I saw on my way to the office.

We are pretty much finished over 300 units ready for PCBs from Circuit Co Thursday & Friday. Really looking forward to that. Beyond that, I don't have too much more to report except that EDs Dad is really fun to talk with, and he learned the ins and outs of the LCD lid assembly very quickly and his speed improved over the course of the day.

Got this in with 10 minutes to spare! Guten Abend Open Pandora Community!

This is the one failing of the Pandora IMO (apart from no decent wifi...) - I like to play with the screen at an angle (like the DS).

Can we have a definitive answer on whether or not DS hinges can be swapped with the existing ones. This is a mod I would _REALLY_ like to do.

My lid/lcd is already getting 'loose' and I fear soon the stiffness will soon be gone completely.
from the photo of opened pandora I saw, if you found opening the DS tricky you better not open your pandora... it seems worst and that's not even taking in account that the lid is glued (it still is, right?)

Is it glued? In ED's video of him replacing the cable it sounded like he snapped the two plastic pins while removing the inner lid to take it off.

Yesterday was my first day to help on the rebirth.

It's great and I'm looking forward to build more units today.

Thanks for helping out there, Askarus. :)

Hope all's going well (and knock on wood so I don't jinx it). There are a lot of people waiting anxiously. ^_^

from the photo of opened pandora I saw, if you found opening the DS tricky you better not open your pandora... it seems worst and that's not even taking in account that the lid is glued (it still is, right?)

I found it tricky ('fiddly' is a better word) but I managed it (twice - my son broke the screen two times - he had better not do the same with his 3DS!). Then again, I would be extremely unhappy if I broke my Pandora as after all that waiting etc. I wold be gutted if _I_ broke it!

I dunno...maybe I'll wait until my lid/lcd is so wobbly it refuses to stay at the 'ds' angle...

Thanks for the advice guys :)

There is no glue used in assembling the LCD & lid of the clamshell. Only place I know of glue being used in the D-Pad on the keymat.

ok, nice to know, I'm remembering some years old post saying that it was glued (or was it using double sided tape?) it should not be needed anymore with the actual case revision...

It's double sided tape but as strong as glue IMO I have a jumper at home with a strip stuck to it! I could never get it off

ok, nice to know, I'm remembering some years old post saying that it was glued (or was it using double sided tape?) it should not be needed anymore with the actual case revision...
That's the LCD screen. Dang near welded to the case, it is. You can still open it and access the cable and such from the back, the tape just holds the screen in place.

My second day on the rebirth.

Here's the report:

Yesterday we've worked on some Pandoras.

Today we were quite busy packaging them.

We also checked out 900-1000 batteries and put them in the battery cases (you can't immagine how hard it is to put so many bateries into their cases and keep up with Link who's checking them).

Today we had to face a verry huge problem: We had to navigate through a room full of boxes, packaging materials and Pandora parts.

Let's see what tomorrow brings.

Excellent news! Mind if I ask how many you folks finished yesterday?

We've got 350 ready to go.

Need to build more lids and so forth, but we have enough for tomorrow and Friday's production, hoping everything goes smooth. ED & I just went over the list of things to take and that are needed, and we are ready to rock and roll tomorrow!

I'll be documenting with my Go Pro, time to format the SD card so its fresh.

Askarus was pretty amazing at putting batteries into battery boxes, and just an FYI, we only found 2 flat batteries, and one with a voltage under 3.5V, so the battery company is doing some good work.

9am is our scheduled start time with Global Components and ED's rented a truck to take all the boxes.

So stoked!

Good night everyone, and tomorrow is gonna be like Xmas!

Late non-OP report ^^ :

Tuesday was my last full day here.

As sunday i were invited by the people from Goldfinger to come at their annual party, i shamelessly let the OP community down.

I wisely took my ticket to Paris first, then went for the most awesome feast day i've ever seen.

From 14:00 to 23:00 it was all beer, food, parade, costumes, music. Everyone participated from babies to grandparents.

You think you know what a party is ? Rave party ? Surprise party ? Pirate party ? Put your finger where mine is party ? Haha, THIS was a party !

I talked to many people, of course showing the OP when they asked why i was here in Germany.

I even met an an android developer :D . As he was a gigantic guy filled with beer, i didn't say anything bad about the google OS. Yeah, i have true grit.

The viral marketing was this. Show and tell. Direct contact.

I shortly ran out of the ads i took from ED's office.

One thing amazed me during those weeks, basically everyone here knows Linux. Linoox, as they pronounce. Maybe Audi has an embedded Linux ^^ ? Pretty possible.

Well. At some point, i was trapped in the corner of a bar for about 40mn, beeing "das frankreich mit a mini-PC" and introduced to many nice people in nice disguises.

I was lucky, having a hot checkup by two nurses and one air hostess. I resisted, i promise.

Then i felt exhausted around 21:00 and gave up two hours later, drinking my last beer while waiting for the bus.

I have to confess that i woke up at 2:00 am to drink an aspirin ^^.

I won't post all my pictures because there's simply too much, and there's other for my eyes only ^^, so here's some :

dsc04459.jpg

dsc04475.jpg

dsc04476.jpg

dsc04477.jpg

dsc04478.jpg

dsc04479.jpg

dsc04482.jpg

dsc04483.jpg

dsc04484.jpg

dsc04488.jpg

dsc04489.jpg

dsc04490.jpg