Release 3.2 kernel issue tracking thread

Considering the lack of moving parts that's truly bizarre... Could the sound be coming from the nubs themselves? if they were both doing it, then might seem to be coming from between them... not that I can think of any reason why the nubs would be emitting such a sound to begin with...

-Neelix

No, nubs can't be it, they're just rubber and carbon. :)

The only parts on the top side are a couple of capacitors. Could be from one of those.

It happened on my unit after it fell down... slapping it a couple of times fixed it for a while.

These capacitors are cramped into little space, so I wonder if there could be some resistance between them when some solder gets lose when they get hit?

Maybe cleaning them would fix that?

Considering the lack of moving parts that's truly bizarre... Could the sound be coming from the nubs themselves?
Seems unlikely, also moving parts aren't a necessity for creating noises. Some laptops with Intel processors create them too when they enter certain power states (c6 - i think). As not all of them do it, it seems that a certain kind of part placement in combination with part tolerances promotes this kind of behaviour.

Maybe it something similiar here, but I really do not understand why it is louder with the new kernel

New kernel often enters low power state similar to Intel c6 you mentioned, so perhaps it's of similar origin - something is happening while components are powered up/down.

I used to have an old machine which you could make buzz when it entered a tight loop of a certain length. I eventually tracked it down to the PSU - regular variations in load were creating a some sort of partial feedback loop and it was either the transformer or an HT capacitor making the noise. But that shouldn't apply to the Pandora as it doesn't have a 250V PSU. Also, even then it was quiet enough that I wouldn't expect it to be audible if I took the machine outside.

Also my netbook burbles and fizzes when I charge the battery from a low-ish charge, but again it's very quiet in absolute terms.

New kernel often enters low power state similar to Intel c6 you mentioned, so perhaps it's of similar origin - something is happening while components are powered up/down.
good point, could explain the regular 20s buzzes when idle, but is anything powered up/down during a read / write process from / to the sdcard ?

These buzzes are a serious 'grrr...' for any of us that are using Pandora for music-making, so I hope they get a little attention ..

These buzzes are a serious 'grrr...' for any of us that are using Pandora for music-making, so I hope they get a little attention ..

They only seem to appear on units that got hit by something (while transportation or falling on the ground).

None of the German prototype PCBs has that issue as well.

Hi all,

minimenu needs to be altered to the new powersaving mode too.

When going in standby mode, the kernel switches the SD slots off which is a new behaviour.

So, after waking up again minimenue scans the SD cards twice - the first time after it detects there are no SD cards, and a second time when it finds them again.

This takes some seconds, and it loses the position of the last ran application so I need to find it again.

Conclusion: minimenu needs some alteration to not to rescan after a wakeup.

I get an odd buzz occasionally too, best way I can describe it as a boing.

This is without any of the latest updates, I'm running Hotfix 7 beta 1.

:) Nope it's definitely a boing, like a ruler being twanged on a desk.

:) Nope it's definitely a boing, like a ruler being twanged on a desk.

I've had that ever since I got my Pandora! It's quite light and quiet, but it's quite a surprise when it happens out of nowhere. And for the record, it's coming out of the speakers.

D.

Yeah, I get this boinging too (2.6 kernel). Kinda sounds like when a CRT Monitor is degaussing.

It happens after I exit a program that uses sound. Especially SDL games.

Run a game with sound. Exit the game. Hear the boing.

Mine is also very quiet, but it surprises me sometimes in a quiet room.

Is this the wifi speaker blead?

For me, anytime wifi is doing stuff, theres a littlr whine going on. Not clean enough to record and parse to figure out the wifi data, though :p

jeff

No, it's not a whine at all, it kinda sounds like a CRT monitor degaussing. Or possibly like somebody tries to play on a rubber band. It's pretty short, not more than a second, and happens out of nowhere.

I also hear such a sound occasionally, it reminds me a bit like a spring or indeed a rubber band.

Back