200 Finished, Some One Nubbers Available

Ed confirmed on the German board that about 70 Pandoras (50 from that production, 20 from the previous) would be for his customers.
10 out of those are needed as an exchange stock.

see here:

http://forum.gp2x.de/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=9746&start=465

The problem with the nubs has been discoverded during manufacturing (faulty boards) and this units are now for those among us which aren't that patient.

This thread is pretty close to what I've been hoping for awhile now. Still wish we knew about how many off each list was shipped already.

craigix said:
We won't be getting all 3000 at once, rather in batches of 1000 as we tweak things to perfection. It's never a good idea to get things like boards/cases in massive shipments - what if all of them have a defect?

No, we're playing this with great caution, like we have from the start.

So on June 10, EvilDragon made the following comment on the official blog:

The case itself is fine, it's not 100% perfect (well, I guess there is NO device which is 100% perfect), but there are no major flaws or problems. Therefore, we already ordered the next 3000 cases - this time (of course) without the painted buttons.
While we don't know yet when we'll get those cases (we'll make no guesstimates anymore with the chinese company), we're now ready to continue anytime!

So how does ordering the next 3,000 cases as stated above relate to the next three batches of 1,000? Does this mean the next 1,000 are already working their way through the factory, and the factory's painting subcontractor, and hopefully to be shipped before you're finished with the first 1,000?

More importantly how does this relate to the months of habitually missed deadlines the factory made with the first 1,000 given the excuse for missing those deadlines was also "making tweaks" at that time (and of course the chain reaction of OPLtd. missing your own deadlines because of it)?

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
We won't be getting all 3000 at once, rather in batches of 1000 as we tweak things to perfection. It's never a good idea to get things like boards/cases in massive shipments - what if all of them have a defect?

I'm always for Quality Control so no problem there. But in case of the...uhm... CASE I guess after 1000 units the case is as it is I guess. ^^""" I't shouldn't getting worse with the Case Quality I hope, so get what you can get before the next Volcano erruption/ strike/ random catastrophe...happens ;)
Shoulder Buttons can be "fixed" by not painting them, the "bulge onto the LCD bezel (AFAIK) can be avoided by a redesigned LCD ribbon. The only thing I really would like to see is the lid really fitting onto the base, without a sloped gap in between. If the Factory can do this quickly without changing the molds, and maybe round some "sharp" and unclean edges here and there, then they are my Heroes. :D
Well, I hope they can ship the Cases when you need them. Some events in the past made me skeptical about this Case Factory, so there is always some bitter taste in between. :ph34r:

christoph said:
Ed confirmed on the German board that about 70 Pandoras (50 from that production, 20 from the previous) would be for his customers.
10 out of those are needed as an exchange stock.

see here:

http://forum.gp2x.de/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=9746&start=465

The problem with the nubs has been discoverded during manufacturing (faulty boards) and this units are now for those among us which aren't that patient.

gotta question here about who's customer i am!

i preordered with craig's shop then after the bank thing i sent postal order to evildragon; apparently i am somewhere 700 - 800 in queue but my question which queue Craig's or Ed's?

ta!

if you get a one nub pandora will you be able to have it fixed after the first batch is completed?

Dead1nside said:
I'm confused. What does in hand mean?

About the boards, how many do you appear to be getting a week? 200?
"In hand" doesn't mean phyiscally in his hand, so it must be a figure of speech, which likely means "under control". If anyone's reading this saying to themselves "Wow, we have to interpret Craigix's posts" I'm afraid you're right. In fact, you're going to have to interpret this post a bit too before you understand it. ;)

A lot of people are asking questions that mostly have to do with wanting to know the speed of development, and these kinds of questions are being asked over and over. Am I the only one annoyed by the clutter these (usually unanswered) questions create?

senorgomez said:
I would order the cases now, the factory has had so many delays we should expect them.
I believe Craigix has already addressed this:
craigix said:

peelie said:
gotta question here about who's customer i am!

i preordered with craig's shop then after the bank thing i sent postal order to evildragon; apparently i am somewhere 700 - 800 in queue but my question which queue Craig's or Ed's?

ta!
You'd be better off e-mailing GBAX directly about this, since the community doesn't know (for sure), and the forums are not a reliable means of contact with the OpenPandora staff.

Alerino said:
a bit of advice for OP Team: cases and boards production and delivery timings must be aligned with assembly, so we don't have another halt on shipping them
I'm sure they know the dangers of delays. Heaven knows how many times we've bashed them (sometimes rightfully) for them.

its all getting a bit shitty

you either wait a few months for 'cases' and 'boards' to arrive - first it was chinese, now texans

We do not have any real indication of how

How many units were really made (laid out on a table/modded and then assembled)
What the real queuing system is?
How many went to craig/faith/ED?
How many joined the one NUT club? - i believe it's a lot nearer 50+
How many had knackered PCB's - to which we still don't know why they were shitty
How many will arrive from texas and any kind of pie in the sky estimate from china

Its getting silly

Ah well I'll give till the end of the month then cancel order patience has worn far too thin now

As Jake said in the previous post, these are the questions that are being asked over and over and will probably not get answers - so they just become noise. It would be nice to know exactly how many have been made & shipped, and to whom, but it's not really our right to have access to the running sheet. Knackered PCBs from Texas aren't our concern, as long as they're being identified before they go into shipped units. As for one nub units - your guess is probably reasonable but OPT isn't obliged to release that information either.

I don't think it's any sillier now than it has been for the past year. :p Placing too much importance on all these little figures is likely to raise one's blood pressure and not achieve anything else.

I'm almost interested in a One Nubber. But I'm more curious as to what future casebuilds will look like and maybe more curious as to the last 1000 cases out of the 10000 being produced in China. I am totally hoping for the 100 Ltd Editions if they ever happen.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

Mjlink said:
I'm almost interested in a One Nubber.

For all you out there on the fence, to one nub or not, that is the question? I shall describe my experience ..

I just could not wait (literally) and took the risk. What I landed up with is a perfect unit, thats clocks to 850 (not tried higher yet will try this weekend) with pretty much everything A OK. The 0 button is a little hard to push, but does work - all other buttons, d-pad, shoulder buttons etc work perfectly. My one nub is slightly lazier (this is being SERIOUS critical and anal) than the other. What do I mean by that? - well hard to describe other that my right nub travels with slightly less resistance (I am presuming this is why the QA threw it out) BUT it does not effect me in any way, actually given the right nub is more a "button" function nub, its better...

But I hasten to add, although most one nubbers are smiling, there are a couple who have not been able to revive them..

My collegue at work is sitting debating whether to try a one nubber or not. My words of advice where as follows, if you are the kind of player that likes using analogue joysticks then DO NOT take the risk - In my case, being as old as I am, I come from more the d-pad age, therefore if one of my nubs had been dead it would not have been a problem.

I know, its a damn tough call, especially when you pop into the one-nub thread and see all the successes (thats when I took the plunge 1800 position to couple of hundred?) - At the back of my head, was the fact that once batch 1 is out there Craig has stated we can buy components. So the way I looked at it, was I may have to deal with one nub for 6 odd months (before I could buy another m/board (or replacement nub - handy with a soldering iron :) ), ... as it turned out, Im (more than) ok for now ... but at least I can start experiencing the pandora... which I absolutely cannot describe ... it is goodness beyond belief..

hope this perspective helps

Back