2 New Blog Posts: 98% Success Rate! + Lightpipes

Sitwon said:
benji_stein said:
Not to mention the Black Intel Macbook Pros when they first came out.
Only one of three models was black, and most MacBooks you'll encounter are white. Most people associate MacBooks with white, not black.

I already said there were exceptions and that it was a weak correlation. Besides, I can easily discount the Neo1973 because, like the Neuros OSD, the white one was a limited-release developer model. The final commercial product was black.

At the Nano, iPods are iconic for being white. A little color in their cheaper, mass-market spin-off doesn't change that. The DS also comes in several colors, but the original was white.

Anyways, exceptions and outliers don't in any way disprove a casual correlation. A trend is not a rule. And for all I know, there really is no pattern here at all.

Wrong. The original was silver. You're probably thinking about the DS Lite.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vorporeal said:
Sitwon said:
benji_stein said:
Only one of three models was black, and most MacBooks you'll encounter are white. Most people associate MacBooks with white, not black.

I already said there were exceptions and that it was a weak correlation. Besides, I can easily discount the Neo1973 because, like the Neuros OSD, the white one was a limited-release developer model. The final commercial product was black.

At the Nano, iPods are iconic for being white. A little color in their cheaper, mass-market spin-off doesn't change that. The DS also comes in several colors, but the original was white.

Anyways, exceptions and outliers don't in any way disprove a casual correlation. A trend is not a rule. And for all I know, there really is no pattern here at all.

Didn't I mention somewhere that silver was sort of white-like?

Edit: White reflects all colors of light. Silver reflects all colors of light. Similar...

rmm21 said:
I would give up my life because there are people in this world who are important to me and there are those who I have never met who I value as well. Of course, that's an imbecilic statement you made that my one life will be the single deciding factor in saving the world. It's indicative of stating how dare you care more for yourself than others singularly or plural. I suppose you would nobly die to save us all because you value others above yourself right? That would mean you would die to save me regardless of my worth to you or my moral character. Thanks. ;)
Let's try a different example. Imagine there's a poll, do we want the buttons to be laid out in a square, or diamond shape? Due to some mutation, your thumb is at a slight angle and you realize that a square would be absolutely perfect for you. You've used the diamond layout on other game systems, and you know you can get used to it, but square would be better. On the other hand, diamond is better for everyone else. Do you act selfishly and go for the perfect solution for yourself at the cost of everyone else, or take the mediocre solution to give the best experience for everyone else? I am saying that I would vote diamond. Your posts suggest you would pick the square.
"Why would you vote for that when the majority should already be voting for that anyway?" you might ask. The answer to that is the vocal minority I mentioned earlier. Assume 10% of the population have these wonky square thumbs. 99% of them are sick of living in a diamond world, so make sure they vote. On the other hand, the normal thumb people haven't had such experiences, they're less motivated to vote, so only 10% of them do. Your poll now shows about 9/19 in favour of diamond layout, and 10/19 in favour of square layout. Square layout wins, and 90% of the population suffers.
This two choice poll is a little contrived, and the reality is that it wouldn't be nearly so close, but if we increased it to 4 or 5 equal options, I think it becomes more obvious how a minority all voting for the same thing can easily surpass a majority with a lower turnout.
And that's why I vote for the choice that I think is good for all, not just the one that works best for me, to try and counter the vocal minority that doesn't consider the impact it will have on others.

Sitwon said:
Vorporeal said:
Sitwon said:
benji_stein said:

Didn't I mention somewhere that silver was sort of white-like?

You did? Whoops, must have missed that. I'm massively sleep deprived. I apologize. :)

Vorporeal said:
Sitwon said:
benji_stein said:

i believe nintendo actually called it 'platinum', 'platinum silver' or thereabout. maybe even 'titanium'. but it surely wasn't white.

WizardStan said:
rmm21 said:
I would give up my life because there are people in this world who are important to me and there are those who I have never met who I value as well. Of course, that's an imbecilic statement you made that my one life will be the single deciding factor in saving the world. It's indicative of stating how dare you care more for yourself than others singularly or plural. I suppose you would nobly die to save us all because you value others above yourself right? That would mean you would die to save me regardless of my worth to you or my moral character. Thanks. ;)
Let's try a different example. Imagine there's a poll, do we want the buttons to be laid out in a square, or diamond shape? Due to some mutation, your thumb is at a slight angle and you realize that a square would be absolutely perfect for you. You've used the diamond layout on other game systems, and you know you can get used to it, but square would be better. On the other hand, diamond is better for everyone else. Do you act selfishly and go for the perfect solution for yourself at the cost of everyone else, or take the mediocre solution to give the best experience for everyone else? I am saying that I would vote diamond. Your posts suggest you would pick the square.
"Why would you vote for that when the majority should already be voting for that anyway?" you might ask. The answer to that is the vocal minority I mentioned earlier. Assume 10% of the population have these wonky square thumbs. 99% of them are sick of living in a diamond world, so make sure they vote. On the other hand, the normal thumb people haven't had such experiences, they're less motivated to vote, so only 10% of them do. Your poll now shows about 9/19 in favour of diamond layout, and 10/19 in favour of square layout. Square layout wins, and 90% of the population suffers.
This two choice poll is a little contrived, and the reality is that it wouldn't be nearly so close, but if we increased it to 4 or 5 equal options, I think it becomes more obvious how a minority all voting for the same thing can easily surpass a majority with a lower turnout.
And that's why I vote for the choice that I think is good for all, not just the one that works best for me, to try and counter the vocal minority that doesn't consider the impact it will have on others.

So let's say there are two options for the default text editor:
1) VI and Emacs (both to avoid arguments)
2) Nano (or something else that's considered easy for newbs)

Choice 1 seems like the better option to any seasoned *nix developer and probably satisfies their personal desire.
Choice 2 is not as nice for the same developer as Choice 1, but it's workable.

Let's see how these might play out in the long run.

1 is chosen > Developers are happy > End users are not happy > Community remains small > Development continues slowly

2 is chosen > Developers get over it and install their editor of choice > End users are happy and recommend it to their friends > More people buy into it which attracts money and attention > community (including developer community) grows > larger and better funded community leads to more and faster improvements

Choice 2 is sub-optimal at the beginning but pays off toward the end.

darkblu said:
i believe nintendo actually called it 'platinum', 'platinum silver' or thereabout. maybe even 'titanium'. but it surely wasn't white.
So the TrackPoint in the middle of my keyboard is really magenta?

Apparently it wasn't obvious (I guess some people don't F5 as hard or as thoroughly as I do), but I forked the color discussion into off-topic where it belongs:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/50479-correlation-of-color-with-openness/page__pid__774872__st__0&#entry774872

I don't see why you wouldn't silk screen it imo. Silk screen is very user friendly.
If you didn't have silk screening on it, anyone who used the pandora would have to search out the manual and read it before they knew what anything was.
Anyone who reviews the pandora, like engadget for example, will totally say how retarded it is not having it silk screened. Especially when it takes hardly no effort to do it.
No one outside the forums is going to get our "jokes" and it will just be a failure. :(
Just silk screen it, the rare few on these forums who don't like it, can scrape it off, or put their fav sticker over it.
It looks fine in my opinion, i think people need to stop nitpicking insignificant things like this, and just ship them. :)

WhiteBat said:
...i think people need to stop nitpicking insignificant things like this, and just ship them. :)
We'll they're not shippable yet so we have nothing better to do than argue about each insignificant thing that hasn't already been completed. ;-)

WizardStan said:

Who told you I had wonky square thumbs? Okay there was this unfortunate accident I had as a child. You see, I caught my thumbs in a mechanical rice picker but fortunately there was an American missionary living close by who was actually a skilled plastic surgeon in civilian life. The gloves I wear keep the tears from flowing but that's another story...

There is nothing wrong with thinking of others. There is also nothing wrong with thinking of your own hide(with included mutated thumbs).

This very minor silkscreen issue should be settled with a poll and then sent to the land of forgotten.

Sitwon said:
WhiteBat said:
...i think people need to stop nitpicking insignificant things like this, and just ship them. :)
We'll they're not shippable yet so we have nothing better to do than argue about each insignificant thing that hasn't already been completed. ;-)
touché

This discussion is absolutely stupid. If you can speak English, but can't figure out SD slot #1 is on the left and #2 is on the right, then you have problems, and shouldn't even be ordering a Pandora.

Seriously, that is the stupidest shit I have ever heard. "WHICH LED IS SD1 AND WHICH IS SD2????", the English fucking standard is LEFT TO RIGHT. IT'S NOT HARD.

/sigh

Monk said:
Sitwon said:
WizardStan said:
All of you "I see a red door and I want it painted black" people are starting to scare me.
I don't think I understand your idiom.

Oh dear. When did I get old? :(

No colours any more I want them to turn black :(

You're not old, I'm merely 20 and I recognized it. Amazing song, btw ;).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP2VyquMAaM

rmm21 said:
This very minor silkscreen issue should be settled with a poll and then sent to the land of forgotten.
I disagree. OP has already made their decision, and they should stick by it. They've already taken user input into consideration. Why can't people just accept it if they didn't get their way?

If you can't accept the final design, just get a refund. You are just another pre-orderer and there are 3999 more like you plus a lot people who are waiting for a place in the line.

Gary13579 said:
This discussion is absolutely stupid. If you can speak English, but can't figure out SD slot #1 is on the left and #2 is on the right, then you have problems, and shouldn't even be ordering a Pandora.

Seriously, that is the stupidest shit I have ever heard. "WHICH LED IS SD1 AND WHICH IS SD2????", the English fucking standard is LEFT TO RIGHT. IT'S NOT HARD.

/sigh

Monk said:
Sitwon said:
WizardStan said:
All of you "I see a red door and I want it painted black" people are starting to scare me.
I don't think I understand your idiom.

Oh dear. When did I get old? :(

No colours any more I want them to turn black :(

You're not old, I'm merely 20 and I recognized it. Amazing song, btw ;) .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP2VyquMAaM

sorry but if youre so clever, tell me how do you distinguish DGFH optical drives on a station pc by just watching it, and taking into account anything could be wired in any order.

that the stuff is in english you cannot asure it will be that way.

are you also aware some kind of writting goes right to left?
are you aware of the so many regional configurations on the merely use of "." vs"," and date dmy mdy and all the other combinations?

cmon please respect international issues and dont think youre the center of the world
btw you should be somehow more respectfull on yor posts (yes yes i know ive failed that sometimes, but dont go pointing me that back )

Gary13579 said:

Let say a Japanese or any other person reads right to left who knows some English ,but is still pretty bad at it, a person gives a blank Pandora as a gift to his Japanese friend. The person has to move and the Japanese person wouldn't know what to do with it and not even have even a little of understanding.

plus im pretty sure youre aware the
every day issue of "relative directions"

"is it your left or my left?"

DroneB Dev said:
sorry but if youre so clever, tell me how do you distinguish DGFH optical drives on a station pc by just watching it, and taking into account anything could be wired in any order.

are you aware of the so many regional configurations on the merely use of "." vs"," and date dmy mdy and all the other combinations?

cmon please respect international issues and dont think youre the center of the world
btw you should be somehow more respectfull on yor posts (yes yes i know ive failed that sometimes, but dont go pointing me that back )

If you could be so kind as to point out where the optical drives on the Pandora is, that is a valid argument.
If you could be so kind as to point out which right to left demographics are targeted by the Pandora that *do not* speak ANY English, that is a valid argument.
If you could be so king as to point out what . vs , has to do with this topic... at ALL, IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM, that is a valid argument.

You are taking a bunch of random words, putting them together, and saying it applies to the Pandora. As such, here is my rebuttal.

The Pandora should not have silkscreening because hippos live in the water, and birds occasionally land on hippos to eat bugs off of them.

Gary13579 said:
DroneB Dev said:

If you could be so kind as to point out where the optical drives on the Pandora is, that is a valid argument.
If you could be so kind as to point out which right to left demographics are targeted by the Pandora that *do not* speak ANY English, that is a valid argument.
If you could be so king as to point out what . vs , has to do with this topic... at ALL, IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM, that is a valid argument.

You are taking a bunch of random words, putting them together, and saying it applies to the Pandora. As such, here is my rebuttal.

The Pandora should not have silkscreening because hippos live in the water, and birds occasionally land on hippos to eat bugs off of them.

i really didnt want to respond to this because of you not connecting information.

but ill explain , ill be always happy to help.

1) I NEVER said panda has optical drives, i made it as an example of if youre so sure left is 1 and right is 2, tell me if you can tell me on a STATION PC (as i stated) wich is the order of the optical drives?

2) i Speak Spanish English and Mandarin Every single day, so tell me i do understand english, yet are you so sure ill take left as 1 and right as 2?, so you're so sure 1 always sit up and 2 is always down if the panda somehow had the slots vertically and not reversed??

3) it seems you havent ever heard of regional configurations, ill try to enligten you, when you use finnacial numbers, some use to write
$5.678,88 some do
$5,678.88 tell me what would have happened if Dow jones operator used the wrong representation? the same for dates!.
what does this have to do with the panda? not directly its more about to make you rethink what you posted.

one recommendation Try to read all the text before you fire up your posts.

enough of that, going back to topic

the silkscreen issue has gone insane, they should just keep it as it is either way no way everyone is going to be happy, so make it ASAP
its been long enough wait i believe no one will be THAT mad out of such a simple thing not affecting functionallity, and if they do,
as i stated before, they can do as easy as to errase what they dont like. no stains! just a lil bit of paint remover.
it shouldnt even affect the case plastic (just read the paint remover tags carefully and there wont be problems).

Back