You didn't expect this, I guess.

That's what the Pyra may be good for.

Pandora VS Food was already discussed:

Pandora VS Food was already discussed:
That's not really relevant. I need them both. I have a body which needs food and a mind which needs Pyra. I also have a soul which needs love. You provide the love because you love everyone. A man should not live from peas and carrots alone. The Pyra will provide me with the power of Haskell and that power can be used for good or for evil. My heart is filled with light so I will use it for good. You love everyone so you too would use it for good. There are many kinds of love but the love that power people is real love. I not only get love but I also give love. My love is power. My love is for Haskell and for the Pyra but also for all good people who want justice and righteousness and those are the people that will needs food for body mind and soul. Maybe their body and mind will sometimes not have food but their soul will always be well-fed because we loving people love each other and there are always more of us. We share the love in times of need and when those times come love will be alive.

So that is why the Pyra is indeed essential but it's not enough.

They have been showing off a very consistent trend over the past weeks and it's not like the testing decisions changed recently, it's been like that from the very beginning.

According to the reported cases there were about 2500 infections yesterday, but interpolated from the previous days it should have been around 3 times as much. It does not look like an outlier, either, because the current day is approaching its end and once again there are only around 2300 new reported cases.

Well I'd gladly believe that (and I'm doing my part to help of course) but I'm not the only one being sceptical about the numbers:

Bei Rückschlüssen aus Zahlen zu Coronavirusinfektionen ist gerade am Wochenende Vorsicht geboten. Noch am Sonntagnachmittag machten auf Basis der Zahlen vom Robert-Koch-Institut (RKI) Schlagzeilen die Runde wie "Neuinfektionen mit dem Coronavirus in Deutschland offenbar rückläufig". Kurz darauf folgte jedoch schon zweifelnde Berichte. So hat etwa der Spiegel darauf hingewiesen, dass den RKI-Zahlen doch sehr mit Vorbehalt zu begegnen ist. Durch die dank §11 des Infektionsschutzgesetzes erlaubte Verzögerung von bis zu drei Arbeitstagen bei der Meldung von den Gesundheitsämtern bis zur Veröffentlichung beim RKI, sind insbesondere am Wochenende die RKI-Zahlen nur relativ wenig aussagekräftig (siehe auch Corona Fallstatistik und der Deutsche Amtsschimmel). Obige Schlussfolgerung mit den Zahlen ist also ziemlich wagemutig.
(Source)

Shure the Pyra isnt the fastest PC you can get for the Money, and the GPD WIN2 is much faster, but who cares ??

The Question is: Whit these Heatsink System: How easey will it realy be to change the CPU Board ?? Is there any Therman Paste to stick between CPU Board and Heat Sink ??

I dont think the Pyra will get much deleayed: The Coating is now 2 Weeks in the Future, but whe have to wait 5 Weeks to get everything othere than this..

And condoms should definitely not be eaten; they're not food to the body and will do nothing but heavily burden the body. So if all they have is wine and condoms then they're not smart at all.
I haven't heard anything about that. But stocking condoms isn't that much of a bad idea after all. In troubled times, the last thing you'll need would be having more family to feed. These things must be planned when food is scarce. Yes these kinds of condoms will expire, but still be marginally better than nothing...

I’m surprised by the people who’ve cancelled for reasons other than needing the money. Years after my initial pandora preorder (from Craig), ED was awesome and shipped me a unit. I realized after receiving it that A) it was actually as good as I’d hoped, plastic/screen disappointments aside, and B) the waiting was the most enjoyable part. Always having something to come back here to check on. I didn’t want or need a Pyra given how much I ended up using the Pandora, but if I can fund another passion project for ED and get that same thrill of the wait, I’m in.

Ive never expected bleeding edge processors or phone like modernism. Its basically why I liked the pandora and the pyra as well. It's a complete nerd machine that can do what you want it to do (a thing I miss in phones, they can do a lot but not the way I want it. For instance why do I have to keep certain system sounds at two locations I just want the app to point at an other location on the phone, no it expects it somewhere so it has to be there as well. Also I think phones never had good file browsing). So I guess it just happens to be what you are expecting from the pyra, I can understand cancelling your order if it is turning out to be not your cup of tea. For me i'll have another serving of this great tea!

Also: Most of the Pyra Pree Orderers where also Pandora Owners, and whit the Pandora, whit 700 mhz, there was a lot possible, maybe whit a bit of efford on the Porting Side, but maybe it was the half of the Fun to know that this 700 mhz Device runs this much..

So the Pyra dont have to be that fast, as long whe have good coders..

So the Pyra dont have to be that fast, as long whe have good coders..

This is something that worries me a lot. If we don't get developers working on Pyra, this will be just a laptop with debian out-of-the-box.

After a few months with a GPD Win (an old one I got used on ebay), the thing I miss most is the superb linux support I got on Pandora, not only regarding performance, but getting bugs fixed, astounding power management, customized controls (for OS and software), knowing that an update won't break things, ...

The GPD is more powerful but once the Pyra has got the basics for me running, it is going to replace the GPD in a heartbeat. And that can only happen if there are developers customizing things for Pyra.

Hmm yes. I wouldn't expect excellent power management from the start of the Pyra deliveries though. It wasn't like that if you were there in the early days of the Pandora, although the Pyra's cpu being a more powerful beast from the start, I might expect early run times to to even shorter to begin with. With any luck that should make slimming down the power when not needed more urgeny to fix, than the Pandora where it took a few years before Notaz did the profiling needed to work out where we could save power.

Maybe I'm being too pessimistic though. The wifi chip I'd expect to be more efficient, and it should not be necessary to run that CPU and burn out speeds just to play simple early games or emulate GBA or earlier I guess. Anything more powerful you might have to stay near a power source to use though.

This is something that worries me a lot. If we don't get developers working on Pyra, this will be just a laptop with debian out-of-the-box.

After a few months with a GPD Win (an old one I got used on ebay), the thing I miss most is the superb linux support I got on Pandora, not only regarding performance, but getting bugs fixed, astounding power management, customized controls (for OS and software), knowing that an update won't break things, ...

The GPD is more powerful but once the Pyra has got the basics for me running, it is going to replace the GPD in a heartbeat. And that can only happen if there are developers customizing things for Pyra.

The other thing that made the pandora amazing was the community here churning out all these amazing emulators and games! That's still going on, I hope that stuff get's ported to the pyra as well and of course I hope new games will also emerge!

I'm as amazed at how I still long for the Pyra (even if I'm less into emulators and more into real hardware now) as at how my 2011 Samsung Wave II still carries on with its duty (even if losing Wikipedia and not being able to read sent emojis are a downer). And on the stock battery at that ! As long as I can still listen to music, call, send SMSes, and play the occasionnal YouTube video, I'll manage for as long as needed for the Pyra to come and be able to do phone stuff :)

Hmm yes. I wouldn't expect excellent power management from the start of the Pyra deliveries though. It wasn't like that if you were there in the early days of the Pandora, although the Pyra's cpu being a more powerful beast from the start, I might expect early run times to to even shorter to begin with. With any luck that should make slimming down the power when not needed more urgeny to fix, than the Pandora where it took a few years before Notaz did the profiling needed to work out where we could save power.

Maybe I'm being too pessimistic though. The wifi chip I'd expect to be more efficient, and it should not be necessary to run that CPU and burn out speeds just to play simple early games or emulate GBA or earlier I guess. Anything more powerful you might have to stay near a power source to use though.

I had indeed an early Pandora and experienced that. I fear that the device won't evolve from that initial stage if there aren't enough developers.

Back