You didn't expect this, I guess.

@Xcl4m4t10n : You are dedicating so much time to desperately trying to convince people that your point of view is the right one... but let me tell you a thing, it's a lost cause in this forum... most of the people here that choose to get a Pyra, took a decision knowing the risks, and that's it.

If instead you are actually not so sure about your ideas, and are in a desperate search of some answers that could change your mind, that's another story... and maybe could happen after the Pyra will be in the wild with some contents.

Why? For one time, you should give a logical reasoning and don't throwing random objetive stuff as you always do.
Post automatically merged:

I got a logical reasoning for ya. Concisely argued using objective points:

Attachments

• PYRAWANT.png
    PYRAWANT.png
    882.9 KB · Views: 304
You can still use it for programming - just outsource the compiling to your laptop/server/whatever:
I don't see how that helps personally. From reading the readme, it seems to set up a vitrtual machine under QEMU on the same hardware and jumps into that. Don't get me wrong, it might be a novel way to cross compile stuff on powerful hardware, but you can't really use it on your pyra to leverage that. Personally I run sshd on my most powerful server and ssh into it from my local device using a pre-shared secret key.

I don't see how that helps personally. From reading the readme, it seems to set up a vitrtual machine under QEMU on the same hardware and jumps into that. Don't get me wrong, it might be a novel way to cross compile stuff on powerful hardware, but you can't really use it on your pyra to leverage that. Personally I run sshd on my most powerful server and ssh into it from my local device using a pre-shared secret key.
As I understand it, from your powerful machine you chroot into a shared directory on your embedded system and do the building. Meant to take the torture out of having Funtoo on a weak device that doesn't share your build-machines architecture. I think it's neat.

Well, i dont want to code on my Pyra, i know that a PC works basically whit "0 and 1" but thats all.., im more the End User..

Its a pretty small Notebook you can Carry everyday, and if you want, you can use it for Tetris..,
Hopefully a Gameboy Color and a Super Nintendo Emulator gets Released soon, because there are some cool Super Mario Land Color Hacks : Super Mario Land DX and New Super Mario Land..
But as i also carry a Ebook, im also fine when the First Release are for the OS..

The emulators you mention are in the Debian repos as far as I know... Probably not optimized but it should not be an issue up to SNES at least

Hmm, why would you need to use qemu if that's what it's doing?
To get around cross-compiling. It sets up qemu to emulate the target hardware, chroots from within that environment into the target, and places you in there then. I only skimmed it once. I guess - since it's specifically a Funtoo tool, that it looks in the target's eprofile (or whatever it was) to determine its architecture. But if the means to provide it with a choice ain't already there, that should be added easily enough. ? Or hardcode it for Pyra.

Thanks for the Answer Askarus, the Pyra is for me just a „new“ Pandora, but I want it to use more as a Tiny Notebook than as a Emulator Handheld
It’s planed to use it as my Mainpc at home, as far the Rotation of the HDMI Signal works..

You have no idea how much more convenient typing is when you have äöüß keys and ALT and FN on shoulder buttons if you did not try it yourself.
It is such an enormous upgrade for us Germans.

Maybe.
I don't see the big usecase for me in outsorcing.
The situation when I would want to code stuff on the Pyra would be the situations when I have no big machine at hand.
Yes, I could use the internet to do so, but then again, I'm German, so if I have no WLAN there is no guarantee I'll have reasonable mobile internet :p

You have no idea how much more convenient typing is when you have äöüß keys and ALT and FN on shoulder buttons if you did not try it yourself.
It is such an enormous upgrade for us Germans.

Maybe.
The situation when I would want to code stuff on the Pyra would be the situations when I have no big machine at hand.
Yes, I could use the internet to do so, but then again, I'm German, so if I have no WLAN there is no guarantee I'll have reasonable mobile internet :p

I'm starting to write down my bachelor thesis now and it's starting to be nice outside.
So I'll give my prototype a new chance and try to do some work outside with it.
I have a Lenovo Yoga Book c930 which has an e-paper and a LCD screen.
This thing is awesome as f*ck but not suitable for typing in any manner.
Here the Pyra with its thumb typing capabilities is way superior.

Well, as my GPD Win now starts to Bulk a bit (known Batterie Issue), i got back to my trusty 2011 Lenovo Thinkpad on my Desktop until i get the Pyra,
This Thing got a Fullsice Keyboard whit Numpad, but it dosnt fit in my Pockets..

Deleted some of the Lenovo Software, and i hope i get its a bit optimiced as its now my only Windows 10 PC..

Its great to have äöü on the Pyra whitout the need to remember the correct Keys like on the Pandora..

Maybe.
I guess, I read "Programming on the Pyra" more as "Developing for the Pyra". Your toolchain would be set up on the Pyra for the Pyra - no cross-compiling. You could have a script on your build slave, that expects a pwd and a command, fchroots into your Pyra, cd to said pwd and runs said command. Have a wrapper for your make command on your Pyra, that invokes said script via ssh passing pwd and command. Et voila, your build slave is a transparent computation power expansion pak (TM) or CPEP for short. :)
Or if you'd rather fire a build twice a minute, have the fchroot standing. from within there fire up a daemon, that's waiting for your make wrapper to drop pwd and command into some sink (socket, D-Bus, microBus, file).
You could be working on your programm all day and compile, when you get home. If you have a server hosted somewhere with better upstream bandwidth, you could make it another build slave, for when you're out and about (and use it, as soon as your Pyra has a proper connection provided by whoever).
When you're home already, you could leverage your PC's peripherals and do the programming through fchroot, too.
EDIT: You could have a Live Linux and a vm on a stick, for when you're at somebodie's and your host let's you utilize their hardware or a vm for your compiling.

This Thing got a Fullsice Keyboard whit Numpad, but it dosnt fit in my Pockets..
Bigger pockets. ;)

Last edited:
I have big Pockets, maybe the Bigest, as they fit Pandora Ebook and my Paper Notebook at once, but i dotnt think there are Pants somewhere that fits a Fullsize Thinkpad whit Numpad and DVD Rom Drive..

Therefore: I want this Pyra Thing..

Reactions: rSl
To be honest, yes I expected something like this!
But.. the disasters that keep the Pyra from becoming a reality are getting massive proportions, worldwide lockups.
Still progress is ongoing, nothing can stop the Pyra now, will it? Everybody stay home and safe, the battle will continue, but staying at home would have been easier on us all with the Pyra to play.
Stay strong!

Back