Would You Pay For Games

How Much Is Too Much?

• Total voters

There are millions of people who pay for games. That's an assumption the entire video game industry is based around. I would probably pay up to $50 for a really good game. I'm planning to buy Portal 2 (which I think will cost that much) when it is released and if it works in Wine.

$50 if it's a AAA title. That's probably not happening though. $15-20 for a top-notch downloadable title. Something like Darwinia (maybe), World of Goo, Zeno Clash, etc. Ideally at the low end of that price range, though I'd go up to $20 if it were really good. For most of the stuff that gets released, $1-5. For me, it breaks down similarly to the XBox online market, though I feel like most Arcade titles are 400 points more than I'm willing to pay and usually buy on sale. Most of the good homebrew stuff is comparable to the good stuff in Indie Games, and I'd be willing to pay accordingly, though there are again a lot of games there that I think are fun but won't spend enough time with to justify buying period. Basically, I'm willing to pay commensurate with quality, and there is already an existing scale which I can use to compare against. I am very happy that there's a sizable freeware scene out there but I am willing to pay based on the effort that went into the game and the amount of time I'm expecting to spend with it.

For some reason I can't see myself paying more than eu5,- for a game on the Pandora. I've been spoiled by the iPhone App store, I think ..

wrath of khan said:
if the game was say a 16bit style game of high quality then maybe 5 to ten euros.Physical products with boxes would be nice for the pandy.i still remember the beautiful artwork on many amiga game boxes

...amiga box artwork...mmmmmmmmmm. I'd pay for the box alone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd pay for a game no worries.
I'd pay more for a game on physical media (SD card + box + paper manual)rather than just a download.
I'd pay more for a game without DRM.
I'd pay more for a game with on-line/LAN multi-player.

Price? More effort in making the game and higher fun factor of the game = more I would pay to play.
Depends on the game at the end of the day I suppose :)

Back