Qwak On Pandora?

Would you pay for this game?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

I can't believe nobody's mentioned this yet, so sorry if this sounds offensive,

I love the typo in the poll, how the options are "Yes" and "Now". Which presumably mean "YES, I would buy this when it comes out" or "I want to throw money at you NOW, I don't want to wait for it!"

Gregor Richards said:
I love the typo in the poll, how the options are "Yes" and "Now". Which presumably mean "YES, I would buy this when it comes out" or "I want to throw money at you NOW, I don't want to wait for it!"

I'm loling :lol:
And I think I'd probably end up buying it, with a probability of a 66%.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic game on the Amiga. I'd buy a Pandora version if it was only a few bucks (download) or a little more for a snazzy SD.

Thanks for thinking of bringing Qwak goodness over!

As you might be able to tell, the Pandora is new, and pricing for commercial games is an unknown entity.

Sounds like you want pricing opinions.
I'll give you mine.

I'd pay the following for the versions below (US Dollars):

$9.99 for digital download of 640 x 480 port.

$14.99 for digital download of 640 x 480 port with customized borders for Pandora.

$19.99 for digital download of 800 x 480 Pandora-optimized graphics.

$24.99 for SD card 800 x 480 Pandora-optimized graphics.

I would really like to see an 800x480 version. I feel that your asking price would be reasonable for a full-screen version, and I'm not sure that I would be as inclined to pay more than $10~$15 for a 640x480 version.

will this be a native port? if so then yes if the game runs full res and is good i will pay for it. if not then im afraid i wont

a Pandora ain't a GP2X. I'd download and play if it were free sure, but personally, i'll be paying for games fully utilising the Pandora's specs (imagine a GB-era game on a PSP - not the best showoff for people around, regardless of the quality of the game in question). But hey, release it anyway, I know many users around here that'd enjoy a good 2D adventure, regardless.

I would maybe buy it but 12GBP sounds a bit expensive, If you lowered the the price maybe more would buy and you wouldn't actually loose anything on it.

I'd certainly be willing to pay $20 for it. Maybe a bit more. I've certainly payed more than that for games that weren't nearly as fun.

Thanks everyone for the responses and feedback. Sounds really encouraging so far!

Yeah, the existing levels would fit a 640x480 screen; so that'd probably involve borders.

As far as 800x480 goes ...

I intend to release a level editor; which will allow people to create their own levels. So it would be possible to create 800x480 levels (or even wider; which would involve some horizontal scrolling). These created levels would be interchangeable, so people can create levels for the PC version, upload them to the Qwak site, and they'd be useable on a Pandora too (as well as a PC).

It would be nicer to have the wider levels. :)

Another option, would be to not use the existing PC levels, but have a whole load of new levels created for the Pandora version. Hmm, or even modify (widen) the existing PC levels. I guess when the level editor is available and it's easy to use etc, people may want to get involved on the level creation; and there will be more options etc, to decide which way to go.

I'm still pretty much clueless as to the development situation; it's Linux OS | ARM cpu | OpenGL for graphics and has a build in intel graphics card, is that right?

CC_machine said:
a Pandora ain't a GP2X. I'd download and play if it were free sure, but personally, i'll be paying for games fully utilising the Pandora's specs (imagine a GB-era game on a PSP - not the best showoff for people around, regardless of the quality of the game in question). But hey, release it anyway, I know many users around here that'd enjoy a good 2D adventure, regardless.
It's not really a 'GB game on the PSP'. It's quite a timeless design and very very addictive, plus it's got hires graphics, the game could not be made in 3D, it's a proper arcade constant action kind of game which you can play for 10mins or 2 hours.

Consider that for the game to still be around after all this time it must have a unique quality - and it does, it's extraordinarily addictive.

I guess it might need some 'crazy' animated cut scenes and intro to sell to some people :)

Personally, I think the pricing should be in line with Xbox Live Arcade or Wiiware games, at least for a download version.

I'm all for supporting homebrew games, and i'd definitely pay for this, but i have to agree that the price is a bit steep for a download-only game. I'd be willing to pay a bit more if it came on its own sd card, that'd be a nice touch.

Consequence_9 said:
I'm all for supporting homebrew games, and i'd definitely pay for this, but i have to agree that the price is a bit steep for a download-only game. I'd be willing to pay a bit more if it came on its own sd card, that'd be a nice touch.
I don't think he mentioned a price yet.
He's asking us to tell him how much we think we'd like to pay for a commercial port of the game.

I'm a cheap bugger, and I'd pay up to $6.00.

Note: I haven't played your game's demo. If it's really fun, I might pay more.

For distribution, I suggest downloads only. If you really want to you can distribute it on SD cards as well, but SD cards are so cheap that I personally wouldn't pay more than ~$3 extra(+Shipping) for the SD-card version.

Don't put any DRM protection on it if you do use SD cards - many posts on these forums state that not being able to copy the game to a huge primary SD card is a big annoyance. This is slightly mitigated by the Pandora having two SD card slots, but card/cartidge swapping remains a peeve, so I suggest distribution by download only.

If you choose to port it, you may consider giving a reduced rate(aka coupon) to the first 200 buyers, or something like that. If those people really like it, they'll post about it, etc. etc... ;) Or offer it to people that purchased one of the first 4000 pandoras, for slightly less. It gets the ball rolling.

Also, you may want to consider combo deals, where you can purchase both versions for slightly over the cost of one or the other. It's less effort porting than creating - but despite that, people will pay to be able to play a game anywhere.

That's about it for my thoughts. :)

Qwak said:
I'm still pretty much clueless as to the development situation; it's Linux OS | ARM cpu | OpenGL for graphics and has a build in intel graphics card, is that right?

Almost. But I guess that it doesn't have intel graphics. And to be exactly, than OpenGL is in ES derivate. I think that kind of graphics chip is not so significant, if you use OpenGL ES or OpenVG and make not direct HW access.

I don't know that game, but it has good look. I'll probably buy it if coast no more $20 or €15. If nothing else, then just for Pandora development support. :)

I'd be willing to pay around what the current going rate is for the PC version.

Anyone remember the box art ? :D (My bro's copy below)

qwak.jpg

Back