• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Qwak

Still Fresh
Hi,

I'm considering a port of my game, Qwak, to Pandora.

There's a PC version of the game already, you can check it out here: http://www.qwak.co.uk

photos_index.jpg

That's some photo montage thingy I did, but there are also screenshots and a free demo on the site.

I'm just trying to guage if there would be any interest in this game on Pandora? How much you'd be happy to pay for it etc.

Cheers,
Jamie. :)

p.s. The poll option 'Now' should be 'No'

Looks interesting (might have to see if it works in WINE, so I can atleast try the demo), almost tempted to buy it for my sis, she's a big fan of GBA games...

Orkie said:
This is not a Pandora forum...
Ooooop! Sorry Orkie. :)

If any mod wants to move this to a more suitable forum, that's fine.

Jamie. :)

Hooka said:
Looks interesting (might have to see if it works in WINE, so I can atleast try the demo), almost tempted to buy it for my sis, she's a big fan of GBA games...
I know at least one person (on the Qwak forum) has gotten Qwak running under wine. It's just needs a setting in a config file, to make it use OpenGL (rather than Direct X).

http://www.qwak.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28

Racemaniac said:
would depend on the price and the quality of the port an the game ^^
It would be (pretty much) identical to the PC version.

The PC version runs @ 640x480, and I believe the Pandora has a 800x480 display?; which would be a great fit for the game.

---

Is there a common price point for commercial Pandora games?

Also, how will commerial games for Pandora be distributed? On CD? Download?

Cheers,
Jamie

Last edited by a moderator:
The original version on the Amiga is a superb platform/arcade game, it is one of the most addictive amiga games in terms of that 'one last go' feel on the system.

Will it have 800*480 graphics?

craigix said:
The original version on the Amiga is a superb platform/arcade game, it is one of the most addictive amiga games in terms of that 'one last go' feel on the system.
Thanks Craigix! :)

I also think it's the kind of game that would be a lot more suited to a handheld (rather than on say, a PC).

craigix said:
Will it have 800*480 graphics?
My first thought, would be keep it at 640x480, and use a 80px border on the left and right. The UI 'fount-end' bit (players scores etc) could be quite easily changed to fit 800x640; but the game levels themselves are 640x480.

I'm also thinking along the lines of user created content (levels), and providing a level editor; so people can create and share their own levels and Qwak mini-adventures (several levels, to be played in order). Which I think is a really cool idea (esp. as it take me forever to make levels).

Great to hear you are considering porting it to the Pandora, I loved the Amiga version!
Nice to see you also supported the GBA with a run of 300 cartridge units and not just a 'rom' for download.
Will the Pandora version be on SD card in a box? I for one would prefer this and gives more collectable value than just a download.
Thanks, keep up the good work!

Edit: just noticed you also developed Nitro and ATR! Wow I loved both those games, though probably played Nitro more as ATR was coming towards to end of the Amiga's life, but great games, would love new ports of those *wink* !

jaycee900 said:
Great to hear you are considering porting it to the Pandora, I loved the Amiga version!
Nice to see you also supported the GBA with a run of 300 cartridge units and not just a 'rom' for download.
Will the Pandora version be on SD card in a box? I for one would prefer this and gives more collectable value than just a download.
Thanks, keep up the good work!
I'm really not sure at this point. I guess it would depend a lot on anticipated number of sales; it's really too early to say, would be nice though, in a proper box with instruction manual etc.

Is there a standard SD card box size for commercial Pandora games? Or would that be left to the developer to decide?

jaycee900 said:
Edit: just noticed you also developed Nitro and ATR! Wow I loved both those games, though probably played Nitro more as ATR was coming towards to end of the Amiga's life, but great games, would love new ports of those *wink* !
Ah yeah, I was working on a racer for the GBA too; never saw the light of day, but some more info here:

http://www.jamiewoodhouse.co.uk/pages/tools/moe.php

Hey Quak, also a Quak, Nitro and ATR fan on the amiga. But I would love to see something made with MOE considering it uses ARM ASM it would be perfect for the Pandora or even the gp2x wiz.

Just have to throw in my vote here, being an old Amiga user... if you'd sell a high-res Pandora port at the same price as the PC version, I'd totally buy it, boxed or download. The same goes for ATR, by the way. It's great to see such a well known name (well, among Amiga users anyway) appear on the Pandora scene. Good luck to you if you decide to produce these ports!

Probably yes, if the price was right, purchasing was made easy and initial response of early buyers was good.

Having heard good things about Qwak in the past, I just tried out the Windows demo under WINE. For some odd reason it hung after I died a couple of times on the ninth tutorial lesson, but I've gotten enough of a taste to say that I'd buy it if you ported it to the Pandora. :D

Qwak was certainly a brilliant game back on the BBC Micro. As addictive as Chuckie Egg, yet vastly superior technically.

I'd be interested (and probably should check out the PC version) but "at a price" - I'd be more interested in paying for the GAME (as a download) than for pretty boxes and manuals and stuff (I can probably still find my BBC Micro box and manual in the loft if need be!)

PokeParadox said:
I try my best to support commercial Endeavours on our homebrew handhelds, and this game looks quite nice ;)
+1

I must have missed Qwak on the Amiga, but I remember Nitro well enough to know that another game from the same developer will be worth the money :)

Qwak said:
Is there a common price point for commercial Pandora games?

Also, how will commerial games for Pandora be distributed? On CD? Download?

Cheers,
Jamie
The main distribution method will very likely be digital download. The Pandora won't be in stores for a while so a physical package doesn't have any advantages and comes with major added cost. Of course, if the game proves popular with the nostalgic collector crowd, it might be a good idea to also sell a special edition on SD card in a proper box at an increased price. (I would have said CD a few years ago but SD cards have been getting so cheap that the cost advantage of CDs doesn't matter much anymore so SD is the better choice.)

The price area is still very much undefined as far as I can tell.

Qwak said:
Hi,

I'm considering a port of my game, Qwak, to Pandora.
No way! *cries* Qwak was one of my most favourite amiga games. I loved it to bits XD
The bosses (big chars) were tough to beat, iirc. Many thanks for all the hours I wasted on that :D

craigix said:
It was, it really was (and still is *gets demo*) ;)

Back