Would You Pay For Games

How Much Is Too Much?

• Total voters

Mac Daddy

Still Fresh
Hello. I would like to know if a few games came out for the Pandora from game studios, how much would be too much to pay for them, if anythink at all. Just a simple poll

Well, it depends on the game :)
For games as good as Blue Dragon or Final Fantasy IX, I would definately pay more money than for just some small racing games ;)

As mali and EvilDragon say, it definitely depends.

With me, it also depends on whether it's a downloadable title or a physical product.

I do take a bit of a dim view on, say, £30 to £40 downloads, personally, as I think that's an awful lot for something non-tangible.

EDIT: Hah, I forgot to mention, of course I'd pay for games. Gladly. I'm still hoping that that port of Caster is released, for example.

Prometheus said:
I do take a bit of a dim view on, say, £30 to £40 downloads, personally, as I think that's an awful lot for something non-tangible..
stop touching your bytes, you'll go blind. also, you'll confuse the heck out of make.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm...I'd happily play anything up to £15 for a downloadable game, as long as the content justified the price point. For small games my range would be £0-£4. However the possibility of games being sold on any app store introduces new problems, mainly DRM. As much as I don't like intrusive DRM I've got to say if one of my games was on an app store I'd employ a form of DRM (nothing intrusive though) to stop people pirating my stuff. Yeah play my games all you like but if I'm selling them you'd better buy them and not d/l them from some other website and hack them beyond recognition.

</2 cents>

As everyone else has said it depends on the game. If it's an awesome game I'd definitely drop down $20-$30 for it.
I'm not sure about paying more than that though for a game that you download.

I gladly pay for games when I know that the people responsible for the work involved in making them stand to actually make money. I tend to wait until games released by the massive game conglomerates hit the bargain bin before I buy them. UNLESS I know for a fact that I can't live without the game.

In the past 15 years the only two games I ran right out to buy at full retail price was Doom 3, and Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

In the case of commercial Indy games I'd pay almost any amount, provided the content was worth the money. For example, 24$ is cheap for a game of the depth and caliber of Echalon: Book II.

I do agree that it depends. If it's a download I think it should be around £10 or less depending of the quality of the game. If its a physical product then it depends on the quality of the game and I think I would pay between £10 for a basic 2D game and £30 for a medium for high quality 3D game.

As for Applications, I think should in another poll, but I think that people would be pay for good applications that are of good quality for even better.

Mac Daddy said:
As for Applications, I think should in another poll, but I think that people would be pay for good applications that are of good quality for even better.
I sure won't : Pandora have every application I need ( or will :D)
As a long time linux user, I've yet to find one of my need not covered by free software

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not afraid of paying for something that's worth the money.
I usually get games at 5-20 dolars in Steam. If we're talking about blockbuster games, then I'd say 40-50 dolars.

It depends greatly on the quality of the offered game. But at an avarage value of 15 dolars, I think I'd get at least one new game per month :lol:

:pandora2ut4:

$10 is about my limit for impulse purchases. That is, if a game looks kind of interesting, I wouldn't have much trouble throwing a bit of money at it, even if it turns out to be not great.

Anything more than that, and I tend to think about it harder. It has to be quite interesting, have some solid reviews, or have a pretty good demo for me to spend the money.

Well, seeing that the Pandora was made by people comments and suggestions on the design, I think that in the end, the Pandora community would decide what a reasonable prices would be for a game of good quality, as well as application.

if the game was say a 16bit style game of high quality then maybe 5 to ten euros.Physical products with boxes would be nice for the pandy.i still remember the beautiful artwork on many amiga game boxes

I'd pay through the nose for Neverwinter Nights Diamond on the Pandora. There is already an X86 Linux version - there was at one time a version in the works for the Tapwave Zodiac (PALM OS on ARM CPU) but that of course died with Tapwave.

Of course just trying to find out who to talk to about getting that under a license agreement to get it ported to ARM is - well - impossible for us mere mortals. I gave it a minor try and got nowhere.

I would definitely pay for games, as I do believe that developers should be paid for their hard work.

Although for me £20 would probably be the limit with no physical media. Also as you don't have the retailer taking a huge 50%.

With this community it is nice to know that much more of the money you are spending is actually going to the developers rather than the layers of vultures you get in the mass markets.

Back