Games that would be awesome on the Pandora...

Fatman2001

Still Fresh
Hey guys, ok so I have everything running great on the Pandora now and finding it almost impossible to put it down. Though my curiosity for games that I used to play on PC years ago (but have so far not seen on the Pandora) is often coming to mind. So I would really like to know if any of the following games are currently playable on the Pandora (apologies in advance if any are already in development): -

Game Developer Year Description

==== ========= ==== ===========

The Black Dahlia Take2 1998 FMV based adventure game similar to the Tex Murphy games

Blade Runner Westwood Studios 1997 Point and click adventure game

The X-Files Hyperbole Studios 1998 FMV based adventure game

Silent Steel Tsunami Games 1995 FMV based game

MechWarrior 2 Activision 1995 1st person shooter, well kinda

Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within Sierra 1996 Yet another FMV based adventure game

Command & Conquer: Red Alert Westwood Studios 1996 This one definitely doesn't need a description

Total Annihilation Cavedog 1997 RTS game like C&C with awesome soundtrack

Age of Empires Ensemble Studios 1997 Another RTS game like C&C

Half-Life Sierra/Valve 1998 Redefined the FPS genra!

Starcraft Blizzard 1998 Yet another classic RTS title

Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time Presto Studios 1998 Yet one more FMV based adventure game

Cossacks: European Wars GSC Game World 2001 Superb RTS game like C&C

Quite a bold list I know but I would like to think that the Pandora is capable of all of these (...or am I deluded?). Apologies also if any of these games are already possible through an interpreter like ScummVM or DOSbox, I did have a brief look but didn't have much luck. It would truly be a an epic trip down memory lane if any or all of these is achievable on Pandora.

Any help/points would be very much appreciated!

How about the original Sega Rally? Someone needs to work on a Sega Saturn emulator!!

While I don't think any of them are in development, I do believe there was a thread like this before. I'll link to it if I find it.

Game Developer Year Description

==== ========= ==== ===========

The Black Dahlia Take2 1998 FMV based adventure game similar to the Tex Murphy games

Blade Runner Westwood Studios 1997 Point and click adventure game

The X-Files Hyperbole Studios 1998 FMV based adventure game

Silent Steel Tsunami Games 1995 FMV based game

MechWarrior 2 Activision 1995 1st person shooter, well kinda

Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within Sierra 1996 Yet another FMV based adventure game

Command & Conquer: Red Alert Westwood Studios 1996 This one definitely doesn't need a description

Total Annihilation Cavedog 1997 RTS game like C&C with awesome soundtrack

Age of Empires Ensemble Studios 1997 Another RTS game like C&C

Half-Life Sierra/Valve 1998 Redefined the FPS genra!

Starcraft Blizzard 1998 Yet another classic RTS title

Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time Presto Studios 1998 Yet one more FMV based adventure game

Cossacks: European Wars GSC Game World 2001 Superb RTS game like C&C

It looks like none of the point and clicks you've mentioned here are on the Scummvm compatibility list I'm afraid.

As for the rest; it looks like most of them are windows games which we won't be able to run unless someone is able to make a launcher for them, which to my knowledge hasn't been done for any of these specific titles.

Gabriel knight might possibly run through Dosbox (assuming that it is a dos game), but I can't vouch for the playability.

X files inst hard to get running, just get the PlayStation version. runs perfectly on the Pandora.

when it comes to the beast within (Gabriel knight 2) if you put max cycles on your CPU, and re-map frame-skip up/down to some buttons, it is barely playable.. running at 800 MHz, some scenes in the movie runs smoothly, but the audio skips and the video doesn't always keep up.. and scrolling scenes (like in marienplatz) are painfully slow like down to .5 of a frame or so. probably playable, but not really enjoyable

i used these patches to install the game and de-interlace the videos, then copied the game install folder to my dosbox root on my Pandora and voila: instant dosbox version of gk2.

id also like to add 2 games to the list (if i may?)

1: 11th hour (y.a.fmv game) (clings on for dear life in dosbox) haven't tried 7th guest though as i just completed it on "mi ipad"

2: Police Quest 4 talkie version (p&c adv game) (would like to get it running completely smooth, haven't played that much around with the settings, but i managed to get about 7-10 fps (sadly i suspect that pq5 "swat" is windows only and if it runs, i don't think it will run smoothly, but hey, prove me wrong, please :)

7th Guest works great on ScummVM. Not sure why 11th Hour isn't on Scumm's compatibility list, since it's the same engine (albeit an updated version).

And I would absolutely LOVE it if Half-Life could work on Pandora, but I can't see it happening unfortunately.

Following on from the release of Homeworld recently, how about Freespace 2 that follows the Descent series? Its open source and Linux ready, making a port perhaps possible? Only $2.99 on GoG too :)

I notice NOLF 1 and 2 also went open source but doesnt look like Linux versions were made so I imagine they will remain x86 only. They were hilarious FPS/stealth games and would rock on Pandora.

AVP and Painkiller would also be awesome but AVP was attempted some time ago and hit obstacles IIRC. Painkiller runs under WINE but still x86 I guess, so those 2 are unlikely too.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, 11th hour has definitely been proven to not work on ScummVM?

All I said was it wasn't on their compatibility list. I might see if I can locate a copy and try it out.

11th Hour confirmed not working in scummVM

tried adding 11th in scummvm, didn't even locate..

after checking the scummvm forums, it seems it is incompatible. also it is not mentioned in the compatibility chart

some work was started on supporting 11th hour, but last i read it has died out (even trilobyte is having trouble porting it to ios)

so dosbox seems like the only viable solution for now...

is there something that can be improved in dosbox to get it (and other games) running better? (besides overclocking) (i tried it at max cycles @ 800 MHz)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for everyone's input guys, also a big thanks to Aurekana for pointing out OpenRedAlert for Pandora! Though very impressive for a first build, sadly there are just a few too many bugs in OpenRedAlert for Pandoroa to really make it playable.

DOSBox, another superb recommendation and though the DOSBox solution is more stable than OpenRedAlert, it also runs very slow. Unless of course I've missed something? Does anyone else have this running smoothly in DOSBox at all?

Any further assistance with this would be greatly appreciated as always. Just from what I've seen already, it was great to see the game and hear the music from Red Alert again after all these years, it really takes me back to 1996! :D

Back