Wiz Update

quartercast

Damn I thought the wiz was getting proper buttons, not a split d-pad. I guess that would have required a case redesign

cranker

Still Fresh
I know this might not be the right place but I need some advice. I pre-ordered a pandora and would like to buy a wiz as well and am getting impatient and am thinking of buying a f-200 on ebay. is is worth it to get the f-200 (Ireally like mame) or should I be patient................I like the screen size of the f-200 compared to the wiz but it is getting old now, plus it takes batteries :)..................any thoughts ?

Franxis

MAME 4 ALL
Website
franxis.zxq.net
cranker said:
I know this might not be the right place but I need some advice. I pre-ordered a pandora and would like to buy a wiz as well and am getting impatient and am thinking of buying a f-200 on ebay. is is worth it to get the f-200 (Ireally like mame) or should I be patient................I like the screen size of the f-200 compared to the wiz but it is getting old now, plus it takes batteries :)..................any thoughts ?
Be patient and wait for the Wiz ;) .

Last edited by a moderator:

Dunny

Exophase Approved® Forum Troll
Website
www.zxspin.com
Franxis said:
cranker said:
Be patient and wait for the Wiz ;) .

+1

The GP2X is an awful piece of kit - you'll have nothing but trouble with it, and you'll constantly be wishing you'd never bought it.

D.

WarmFluffyUK

The Big Wad Bolf.
Website
www.retrotech.one
Dunny said:
+1

The GP2X is an awful piece of kit - you'll have nothing but trouble with it, and you'll constantly be wishing you'd never bought it.

D.
I don't think the GP2X is an awful piece of kit and it's definitely not as bad as you're making it out to be. The only problem I have is with the joystick being a bit temperamental, but it doesn't stop me from playing lots of games and emulators on it. I have never had any hardware failures on my GP2X and I'm still as happy about the GP2X as I was when I bought it :)

The only reason my Wiz now accompanies me everywhere is because it's smaller, lighter and has a fantastic screen, otherwise my GP2X would still be in my handbag, for me the smaller/lighter aspect is a big bonus!

cranker

Still Fresh
Thanks for the replies all, and sorry to be a bit off topic. It seems as though maybe I should wait as i am VERY picky about the controls....I do realize the Wiz won't be perfect but is seems much improved :) (not to mention not needing batteries anymore: BIG bonus !! )

One question I have is should most of the emulators for the previous models and specifically MAME work on the WIZ ? Does there seems to be continued interest to port them to the Wiz?

Also for those who have seen and tried the system, is the screen size ok? I find the GB Micro too small but this one is a bit bigger and very nice looking:) I know people are complaining but it seems like a good balance for a system that is VERY portable.

sam fisher

Website
blog.peter-r.co.uk
cranker said:
not to mention not needing batteries anymore: BIG bonus !!
Indeed, my Wiz has two power modes. "Smugness" and "Ignorance". When I set it to either mode it is powered purely by absorbing the energy from the respective character trait from nearby people. I find mine runs very well in "Smugness" mode when I'm using it and not so well in "Ignorance". However, I did have it set to Ignorance mode at one point when some know it all walked past and it cleaned enough energy from 3 seconds in contact with him to run for a week :eek:.

Q

quasist

Peter R said:
cranker said:
not to mention not needing batteries anymore: BIG bonus !!
Indeed, my Wiz has two power modes. "Smugness" and "Ignorance". When I set it to either mode it is powered purely by absorbing the energy from the respective character trait from nearby people. I find mine runs very well in "Smugness" mode when I'm using it and not so well in "Ignorance". However, I did have it set to Ignorance mode at one point when some know it all walked past and it cleaned enough energy from 3 seconds in contact with him to run for a week :eek:.

Some players that you will encouter surely gonna attack your Wiz. I recommend unsummon Wiz and level-up him only where no players nearby...

sam fisher

Website
blog.peter-r.co.uk
quasist said:
Some players that you will encouter surely gonna attack your Wiz. I recommend unsummon Wiz and level-up him only where no players nearby...
The same tactic I use when I play Pokémon and send out my Wiz!

WarmFluffyUK

The Big Wad Bolf.
Website
www.retrotech.one
Peter R said:
You will find smug mode comes into effect not only in pitch blackness as it's a really good torch, but in mega daylight as you're the only one who can see their display due to you having OLED and others having inferior TFT :), Just you watch them tilt their systems to get the best viewing angle lol....

DisgruntleElf

And on the battery note....can the WIZ run without the battery inside and just with the charger plugged in?

WarmFluffyUK

The Big Wad Bolf.
Website
www.retrotech.one
DisgruntleElf said:
And on the battery note....can the WIZ run without the battery inside and just with the charger plugged in?
Yes it will :)

I just been playing Ruckman without the battery and the Wiz powered off USB!

DisgruntleElf

WarmFluffyUK said:
DisgruntleElf said:
Yes it will :)

I just been playing Ruckman without the battery and the Wiz powered off USB!

Great to know. Thanks for testing.

jbb

Still Fresh
Any news on the Wiz?
It's been a good few weeks since the last post... on any forum.
:unsure:

fettouhi

WarmFluffyUK said:
We're all waiting for the next firmware update. As soon as it happens we will let you know.
Any update on the firmware plus has a more firm release date been set other that February 2009?

Regards

André

Knoxximus

Website
www.beat-tech.com
'pea' said:
My latest communication with GPH mentions 'aiming for the 20th Feb' for the initial launch.
Hey guys, long time no see! :lol:

I read on the Wiki that the delay was to ditch the right side d-pad/buttons and institute some proper buttons. Is this true? If so, I'm ready to jump on board!

Also, will the Wiz be compatible with the GP2X cradle I have? Will GPH be releasing a new cradle?

Thanks!

dwarf shortage
Website
Visit site
Yes, right Dpad was changed a while ago.
No, your current cradle won't work.
No, GPH have no current (public) plans to realease a Wiz cradle.

Knoxximus

Website
www.beat-tech.com
''pandora'' said:
Yes, right Dpad was changed a while ago.
No, your current cradle won''''t work.
No, GPH have no current (public) plans to realease a Wiz cradle.
Thanks for the prompt reply! I tried clicking on the youtube vid links that would show said buttons, but they are 404''d. Any pics you can link me too? Also, if I preorder from the GP2x store, I would definitely get the new button layout model?

EDIT: Never mind...found ED's thread about teh buttons. My bad. I'm on luertabs for my back...kinda loopy today.