Wiz Is Further Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sorry to announce that GPH told me the WIZ has been delayed further. The new date is now late of April (but this should be sure now, as they did tell me).

There have been some problems with the firmware - nothing serious or critical, but it takes some more time.
The problems are mainly the new flash engine - they are still testing various engines and try to include the best and most suitable one.
Also, the new firmware will have a better display quality - I guess the tearing will be fixed.

They also plan on releasing weekly videos of the WIZ development and interviews with the team members.

Last edited:
Well i'm not that surprised and although a delay may seem dissapointing to some I think it's better that they fix any problems before releasing the console.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, that frees up 180€ of cash. Now to decide between a sony reader or a futon... looks like I'll be stuck with the gp2x for awhile longer, probably until the summer.

I'd love to hear more details about how they fixed the screen tearing, I hope this isn't simply "we're running it in 240x320 mode by default", because I really don't want to have to deal with such a mode if at all possible (and in fact I will just switch it back to 320x240 and make people deal with the tearing before I bother ;P)

To the people disappointed by this news, there is a bright side.. several devs have Wiz units now, so more time means more launch software.

'Exophase' said:
I'd love to hear more details about how they fixed the screen tearing.

From ED comment doesn't sound like they have fixed it yet, he just assumed thats what they meant.

I too wish they would open up and release the linux source, if only to a select number of people. If they did that we could probably avoid problems of the past i.e MMU hack)
I was also thinking today, why doesn't GPH has a presence on this boards. I wish there was someone that was here that we could give direct feedback to and have some interface with.
The most recent example for me is glquake. Ok something is working but it doesn't run well. Which I then have q's about like is it the engine, the driver, why the does driver have VFP in it, is the driver actually using the hw, and so on. Another one is the state of SDL.
Ok i think i feel better.... :blink:

'Exophase' said:
I'd love to hear more details about how they fixed the screen tearing, I hope this isn't simply "we're running it in 240x320 mode by default", because I really don't want to have to deal with such a mode if at all possible (and in fact I will just switch it back to 320x240 and make people deal with the tearing before I bother ;P)

To the people disappointed by this news, there is a bright side.. several devs have Wiz units now, so more time means more launch software.
Do you think it's a hardware issue then?

'craigix' said:
Do you think it's a hardware issue then?
At this point I have no idea, and I do not think anyone else does either. It could be a hardware flaw, it could be a hardware flaw with some workaround (better than 240x320 anyway), or it could be a configuration issue. If it is a hardware flaw then we do not know if it is in Pollux or it is in the Wiz (although that seems unlikely).

The tearing is bearable, especially if what you are playing does not have a lot of heavy scrolling or other rapid changes.

And until the apostrophe bug gets fixed I am going to stop using contractions :(

So I might get my Pandora before my Wiz arrives now?

I'll admit it, I'm not exactly 'pleased' with another delay. I was looking forward to getting my hands on my Wiz in a few weeks. :(

But, as others have said, it is better for the device in the long run.

I think I'm starting to lose interest in the Wiz now.
After hearing reports that it's not really that much faster the a 250Mhz GP2X and now these delays... I'm really glad I pre-ordered back in Aug 2008. <_<
I know, it's better that it gets sorted out - but then why have pre-orders available so early? It's just frustrating.
Enough grizzling.

Bring on Pandora.

GPH must have something really BIG tied into the flash player. They definetly want to show something off to keep delaying the unit like this.

well a delay is better than there being problems that everyone bitches about when they receive their units. everyone who has one seemed to hate the menu and found it buggy so a rework of it should be a good thing. hopefully once it ships devs will have already made tons of software for it and got it optimized and running at a good speed.

Im not surprised, it sounds like the issues they have are more than a quick fix.

I think Ill hold off buying till after we have some reviews, got a nagging feeling people arent going to like the GUI?

test:
"-'-"-' "-/'/'-"-'

Im concerned about that screen tearing issue hope they get that fixed, otherwise could seriously affect arcade games. Its about two month delay maybe for that reason and other minor issues. Hope they listen to the Wiz emu/homebrew devs about their concerns. GPH probably know they need to get it right first this time because unlike with the GP2X they now have a more powerful open source handheld to compete with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back