Gph: The Wiz - Official Announcement

fettouhi said:
mfk said:
EvilDragon said:
mfk said:
I received a sample unit from GPH and I can say that there SHOULD be a lot of improvement.
You actually DO know you got one of the old prototypes? The one with the double DPads and the 2,5mm headphone jack? Both will be changed... as can be seen on that other major thread.

I know this one is old prototype and there will be changes. Headphone jack and button lay out changes are good but they are not enough if they want to make a real good device. If they are going to change something I think they should collect more feedback from the community and change everything at once. That's what I was trying to say.

What else should they change?

Regards

André

As I mentioned in my previous post, DPad feels like it has center click. You can push it down. They should add a pivot or sth like that. Same is valid for the right DPad but they are already planning to change its layout so it's not the issue. I didn't like the placement of volume buttons and i didn't like the clicky shoulder buttons. But these are more like my personal preferences. Others may like it or not.

Firmware is not in the good state but I guess they are working to improve it. It's relatively easy task compared to a design or hardware change so we can wait and see. But if I were GPH I wouldn't use a flash based menu system.

Last edited by a moderator:
mfk said:
Firmware is not in the good state but I guess they are working to improve it. But if I were GPH I wouldn't use a flash based menu system.
There should be a firmware update at the end of this month, which should address many of the current issues.

I don't mind the flash menu system, currently it's a bit sluggish but they are working on that issue too.

WarmFluffyUK said:
mfk said:
Firmware is not in the good state but I guess they are working to improve it. But if I were GPH I wouldn't use a flash based menu system.
There should be a firmware update at the end of this month, which should address many of the current issues.

I don't mind the flash menu system, currently it's a bit sluggish but they are working on that issue too.

It's buggy as hell.

Peter R said:
WarmFluffyUK said:
mfk said:

It's buggy as hell.

LOL I know, but I didn't quite want to put it like that. You know how we get quoted around here :unsure:

WarmFluffyUK said:
Peter R said:
WarmFluffyUK said:
mfk said:

It's buggy as hell.

LOL I know, but I didn't quite want to put it like that. You know how we get quoted around here :unsure:

Is GPH giving all of you with prototypes firmware updates to test before it gets shipped? Also is it really that bad? It seemed kinda nice in a video I saw of ED showing it with the touchscreen.

geise69 said:
Is GPH giving all of you with prototypes firmware updates to test before it gets shipped? Also is it really that bad? It seemed kinda nice in a video I saw of ED showing it with the touchscreen.
Yes, there should be a firmware update at the end of this month for us to test and report back.

The current firmware/Interface we have is at an early stage. I have raised some issues with GPH and apparently they were already working on 90% of the things I had found, and they will look into the rest.

I get the feeling GPH are really happy to hear about bug reports etc, and I personally don't mind being used as a guinea pig if it helps iron out any issues we find.

OK, about 3D hardware.
There _is_ a 3D hardware demo. I also got an OpenGL|ES library. It uses 1.1-lite (the lite crippling is no big deal).
I'm implementing it ATM and will post more news when I have some experience. DEmenting the rumours, that there's no OpenGL|ES driver for Linux on the WIZ is clearly proven hereby.

KungPhoo said:
OK, about 3D hardware.
There _is_ a 3D hardware demo. I also got an OpenGL|ES library. It uses 1.1-lite (the lite crippling is no big deal).
I'm implementing it ATM and will post more news when I have some experience. DEmenting the rumours, that there's no OpenGL|ES driver for Linux on the WIZ is clearly proven hereby.
Would this allow Tinnus to be able to produce a hardware accelerated GPU module for the PSX4all port on the Wiz (assuming there will be one) ?

ronii said:
im getting the wiz cuz its cheaper and not as big
Pandora:430mhz
The Wiz :533mhz
Where the heck did you get that from? <_<

Pandora is clocked around 600Mhz standard and can be safely clocked to 900Mhz. Pandora also has 256MB RAM compared to 64MB on The Wiz.

Also, clock speed comparisons are never so simple. Even at the same clock speed, Pandora would most likely outperform the Wiz.

The Wiz is nice, but not in the same class as Pandora's hardware.

Its only real advantages are the smaller size and lower price, assuming you don't want/need the Pandora's many extra features and power.

Prophet said:
Its only real advantages are the smaller size and lower price, assuming you don't want/need the Pandora's many extra features and power.
Hopefully not evryone as blind as you to not to detect OLED screen :p

quasist said:
Prophet said:

The OLED screen is not an advantage since they burn in and have shit lifespans.

DaveC said:
quasist said:
Prophet said:

I'm sure the screen will outlive the rest of the hardware.

WarmFluffyUK said:
DaveC said:
quasist said:
Prophet said:

I'm sure the screen will outlive the rest of the hardware.

Has there been any firmware update for the wiz for those who have the prototypes? Any big changes improvements since it was announced that GPH will be redoing the menu?

Regards

André

fettouhi said:
Has there been any firmware update for the wiz for those who have the prototypes? Any big changes improvements since it was announced that GPH will be redoing the menu?

Regards

André
Yep, GPH are sending me something next week which has updates etc. I can't tell you what the updates are yet as I don't know myself, but as soon as I do, I will post it all here.

Probably the latest kernel with the 3D driver and correct mach type (they are now using an officially registered one, which is nice for keeping the kernel in sync with the kernel.org sources). I have uploaded some source code (though it isn't the very latest nor have I had chance to upload the video player source, and my initial 2.4.27.5 port doesn't yet run init properly) for anybody who cares.

Back