Wiz Update

CronoTriggerfan said:
TaG said:
CronoTriggerfan said:
To tell you the truth, I don't see why GPH just doesn't use GMenu as the stock GUI. It'd be cheaper than developing the shitty ones they crank out, it's already accepted by most people here
Perhaps because the people here only make a percentage of their total target customers?

So are you advocating that the stock GUI is better than GMenu simply because not everyone knows GMenu exists?

Gmenu2x is specialized on launching specific programs you selected beforehand. It doesn't make much sense using it when you just got your unit and hardly had the chance to put more than a handful of apps on it, now does it?

Once you get to know your way around and form a nice software library, it will be straight-forward and practical to use Gmenu2x, hence why so many GP2Xers use it despite it not coming as the default front end.

However, it would be a very nice idea to include it in the firmware as an advanced launcher alternative, perhaps everyone who would like this should let GPH know by e-mail :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex. said:
Gmenu2x is specialized on launching specific programs you selected beforehand. It doesn't make much sense using it when you just got your unit and hardly had the chance to put more than a handful of apps on it, now does it?

Once you get to know your way around and form a nice software library, it will be straight-forward and practical to use Gmenu2x, hence why so many GP2Xers use it despite it not coming as the default front end.

However, it would be a very nice idea to include it in the firmware as an advanced launcher alternative, perhaps everyone who would like this should let GPH know by e-mail :)
I would love Gmenu2x as an advanced front end option and I would love it even more if it had a skin by Ruckage! I think I might email GPH later on to suggest this, and yes, others should mention this to them too too!

CronoTriggerfan said:
TaG said:
CronoTriggerfan said:
To tell you the truth, I don't see why GPH just doesn't use GMenu as the stock GUI. It'd be cheaper than developing the shitty ones they crank out, it's already accepted by most people here
Perhaps because the people here only make a percentage of their total target customers?So are you advocating that the stock GUI is better than GMenu simply because not everyone knows GMenu exists?
Not at all. I advocating that you don't assume that people here form the biggest chunk of their market. GPH might think something else is more appropriate for the majority of their market, and they obviously wanted something impressive. OK they might have failed... ;)

TaG said:
CronoTriggerfan said:
TaG said:
CronoTriggerfan said:
Perhaps because the people here only make a percentage of their total target customers?So are you advocating that the stock GUI is better than GMenu simply because not everyone knows GMenu exists?
Not at all. I advocating that you don't assume that people here form the biggest chunk of their market. GPH might think something else is more appropriate for the majority of their market, and they obviously wanted something impressive. OK they might have failed... ;)
Haha, nah, I know most of their markets are either Koreans or Spaniards, we're just the happy niche in between. :lol: But does it seem to anyone else like a 4 month delay is a long time for a screw-up like this? I mean, even if they were to ditch the flash, wouldn't they essentially end up with an interface like the stock one on the GP2x firmwares? Hopefully they'll add WiFi or something cool like that, it'd be sweet!

CronoTriggerfan said:
Haha, nah, I know most of their markets are either Koreans or Spaniards, we're just the happy niche in between.
Not between, much more like western. Russia is between Italy and Korea... (quasist's naugty georaphical joke)

lets just say there is a niche market all over. With main sales in korea and spaniards...

and great idea about gmenu2x,

I now have it on good authority from GPH that the version of Flash on the Wiz will be better than 7! Whether it's Flash 8, 9 or 10 they didn't say as I got the feeling that this still under consideration, but it does mean even better compatibility with more Flash games freely available on the net, which has got to be good news :)

Peter R said:
Modern flash games won't run too well due to flash's heavy use (generally) of FP numbers.
I doubt Doom 3 will run either. I'm sure one day you will answer one of my posts on a positive note :)

Peter R said:
Modern flash games won't run too well due to flash's heavy use (generally) of FP numbers.
Won't that depend on the Flash runtime though? If GPH will get a custom one done, or at least one tailored for embedded devices, maybe it will replace FP with fixed wherever possible, and who knows maybe even take advantage of the Pollux's graphics hardware?

Unless of course you mean FP used in games' actionscript code, but I can't really think of any reason why floats would be used excessively there, especially since the runtime does all the rendering.

I can't reach Flash on my unit, did anyone with a Wiz prototype try Alien Hominid? :)

Alex. said:
Peter R said:
Won't that depend on the Flash runtime though? If GPH will get a custom one done, or at least one tailored for embedded devices, maybe it will replace FP with fixed wherever possible, and who knows maybe even take advantage of the Pollux's graphics hardware?

Unless of course you mean FP used in games' actionscript code, but I can't really think of any reason why floats would be used excessively there, especially since the runtime does all the rendering.

I can't reach Flash on my unit, did anyone with a Wiz prototype try Alien Hominid? :)

Does flash even have typing?

ummm i just want the wiz who cares about the menu i think we would rather use gmenu than wait an extra 3 months

P-J said:
If they hadn't told you it was flash you'd not have known and just used it.
Doubtful, the menu was one of the first things the community replaced for the GP2X. GPH simply does not understand what the majority of their Western customers want out of the device and keep emphasizing under- or non-utilized functionality (eBooks, Organizer) in their UI.

The current Wiz menu puts the accent on games rather than other functions, as opposed to the stock GP2X menu. The first item is the SD Games launcher, followed by the built-in games launcher and the Flash games launcher. There's even a general-purpose launcher to run the apps that weren't put under the proper folders. The things that are rarely needed like media playback, ebook, and organizer are all under a single sub-category, so they don't get in your way.

Found a new video on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySxhRawYEso

Regards

André

That's great! If only I could understand what they were saying :)

Which prompted another question in my mind. Seeing as a large market of GPH is in the asian market, how come we never hear about any homebrew created there?

OogyBoogy said:
That's great! If only I could understand what they were saying :)

Which prompted another question in my mind. Seeing as a large market of GPH is in the asian market, how come we never hear about any homebrew created there?
It is a very uncreative market :p

fettouhi said:
Found a new video on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySxhRawYEso

Nice video. Man, the Wiz is really cute and pretty. If our local dev community adopts it (especially if emus like gpSP, Picodrive etc. get ported well), I'm gonna have to get one. But Pandora still comes first for me.

NOTE: check the guy playing Her Knights on a computer monitor in the background around 7:30. :)

The Wiz in the video is the new model with separated axby -buttons. I haven't seen that many pictures of it around. Actually I'm kind of glad they did the layout the way they did it, it looks pretty with the symmetric layout.

EDIT: the one at around 0.25 is, the rest are with solid abxy.

Back