Wiz Update

WarmFluffyUK

The Big Wad Bolf.
Website
www.retrotech.one
Well I have an update from GPH:

They wanted a more luxurious UI using 3D Flash but they have now fired the vendor (Don't ask who the vendor is please) in charge of the 3D Flash UI applications and engine due to failure to meet schedule and specs on time. They are still going to be using Flash for the menu, but only 2D Flash. I know some people hate the thought of using Flash as a menu system, but I personally don't have any problems with that, especially if it does the job so let us see what they come up with before flaming the idea.

The original vendors flash engine had a LOT of bugs and us devs complained as it had a very narrow compatibility and it was also hard to code audio in games. They have now decided to introduce a new flash engine with (and I quote GPH here) "a higher version". So this may mean Flash 8? I will ask for more info on that so stay tuned.

They apologise for the delayed launch and also said that it was really painful for them to come to that decision but they feel that customer satisfaction is more important than an earlier launch. I agree with this as I can imagine how many flame posts we would have gotten if they hadn't decided to sort out all the issues and a delay was the only way out of the vendor letting them down.

So please be patient and have faith in GPH as this time I really think they are trying their best to give us a stable fun product.

Clare.

So, the delay is just because of the menu?

I know I'll drop the menu anyway if they are going to use flash, and will just use gmenu. Using flash at all is just waste of resources IMO, I'm not fond of this 'technology'.

Why does it matter? If the menu is responsive and works, why not use it just because of some strange hatred for the technology.

Honestly, this place...

If they hadn't told you it was flash you'd not have known and just used it.

notaz said:

I know I'll drop the menu anyway if they are going to use flash, and will just use gmenu. Using flash at all is just waste of resources IMO, I'm not fond of this 'technology'.
As I said earlier, don't flame until they have it running as you have no idea what they are coming up with, especially considering Flash should run natively on the Wiz. I am hoping the updated Flash engine means that most currently available Flash games will run faultlessly, and I would reckon it will handle a little menu with ease.

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally today got a USB cable from GPH and so could actually charge my Wiz back up. I tried the current flash player and it seems alright but also seems to worryingly have no sound.

Thanks for the update on the menu stuff. It's still a little disconcerting that they're sticking with flash for the menu. I don't care that it's flash really. I just want it to work. It can't be any worse than the gp2x menu. Anyways, thanks for the update.

Peter R said:
I finally today got a USB cable from GPH and so could actually charge my Wiz back up. I tried the current flash player and it seems alright but also seems to worryingly have no sound.
Yep that's correct, the current version is really difficult to get audio to play and it has some mouse tracking problems plus a lot of other compatibility issues, but they are scrapping Flash 3D anyway and I'm hoping the next firmware will have the newer Flash engine included. According to GPH they are going with a newer flash version too, I wonder if it will be Flash 8?

My USB cable should be arriving any day. May I ask: Are you able to access the NAND easily with the USB cable?

WarmFluffyUK said:
Peter R said:
Yep that's correct, the current version is really difficult to get audio to play and it has some mouse tracking problems plus a lot of other compatibility issues, but they are scrapping Flash 3D anyway and I'm hoping the next firmware will have the newer Flash engine included. According to GPH they are going with a newer flash version too, I wonder if it will be Flash 8?

My USB cable should be arriving any day. May I ask: Are you able to access the NAND easily with the USB cable?

I've not really tried much but when i just plug it it I instantly get a "device not recognised" from windows.

fettouhi said:
Why not go for Flash 9 directly or even 10?

Regards

André
Price?

Just solder a usb cable to your BoB and get charged up :)

Took only a couple minutes to build mine (assuming you know someone with a solder iron .. cna't be that rare can they?)

jeff

fettouhi said:
Why not go for Flash 9 directly or even 10?

Regards

André
I don't know, for all I know that's what they are doing. I have asked them that question this morning but will have to wait until I get the reply before I can give you anything solid, and I don't expect an answer for a day or so as it's absolute bedlam there at the moment with them moving premises an all.

Peter R said:
I've not really tried much but when i just plug it it I instantly get a "device not recognised" from windows.
Okey doke, could you let me know if you sort that one out and you do have NAND access?

WarmFluffyUK said:
especially considering Flash should run natively on the Wiz.
What do you mean by that? Hardware acceleration? it can't become more 'native' on Wiz then old GP2X, Pandora, 486 or whatever.

My thinking is that a Flash- based menu is pretty and easy to use - something to match the NDS or PSP frontend.
The NDS gets away with this as it doesn't have writable media.
The PSP doesn't because I find you want to browse the filesystem on the memory card - and you can't.

Therefore, hardcore users will replace this with a more functional menu like Ryo's Gmenu. So why not have this for everyone? Well, it's too complex for everyone. Too many options. I know not for some users, but for many it is. Perhaps it needs a simple, pretty mode and an advanced mode?

Honestly, I didn't mind the original GP2X menu - a bit clumsy, but at least you could browse the filesystem.
Having said that, I don't use it anymore as Gmenu2X is just too good.

skeezix said:
Just solder a usb cable to your BoB and get charged up :)

Took only a couple minutes to build mine (assuming you know someone with a solder iron .. cna't be that rare can they?)

jeff
I don't have a dev board ;)

WarmFluffyUK said:
notaz said:

As I said earlier, don't flame until they have it running as you have no idea what they are coming up with, especially considering Flash should run natively on the Wiz. I am hoping the updated Flash engine means that most currently available Flash games will run faultlessly, and I would reckon it will handle a little menu with ease.

Well considering how lame GPH's last menus were I don't expect much. Besides flash is bloat and will take ages to load up and hog too many resources for a stupid menu.

Most of us here will just dump it for Gmenu anyway. They may just as well put Gmenu as default with a few minor changes to make configuring a bit more "idiot proof" and that is it.

To tell you the truth, I don't see why GPH just doesn't use GMenu as the stock GUI. It'd be cheaper than developing the shitty ones they crank out, it's already accepted by most people here, and using an interface developed by the community promotes the user-created experience that they try to market all the time. As Michael Scott would say, it's a "Win, Win, Win" situation. :p

CronoTriggerfan said:
To tell you the truth, I don't see why GPH just doesn't use GMenu as the stock GUI. It'd be cheaper than developing the shitty ones they crank out, it's already accepted by most people here
Perhaps because the people here only make a percentage of their total target customers?

TaG said:
CronoTriggerfan said:
To tell you the truth, I don't see why GPH just doesn't use GMenu as the stock GUI. It'd be cheaper than developing the shitty ones they crank out, it's already accepted by most people here
Perhaps because the people here only make a percentage of their total target customers?

So are you advocating that the stock GUI is better than GMenu simply because not everyone knows GMenu exists?

Back