Gph: The Wiz - Official Announcement

jaycee900 said:
Patch said:
Doppleganger said:
There is now a piece on Pocketgamer regarding the Wiz:

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Various/GP2...news.asp?c=9155

I really think that ED should handle any further discussion about the wiz.
At least he seems genuinely pleased that the wiz exists.

Would it have been so hard for Craig to not diss GPH for at least ONE interview? In fairness GPH seem to have done a lot to please the gp2x community this time round. why not mention that?
I can see how having the wiz enter production before the pandora is a bit annoying but can this be the last bit of pandora chatter in the 'wiz official thread'?

I'd also like to see some new info or news from those who have wiz developer units. Please. :D

I don't see what all the fuss is? where is Craig exactly dissing GPH? The stuff he mentioned about moaning about the controls needed to be done otherwise who would buy a such a laughable machine with those controls? GPH have made mistakes, if you stop being stuck up their ass you will see he has been very fair with his comments.

Stuck up their ass? Your homo-erotic babbling makes no sense to me. I never bought the gp2x because it was too big to be pocket sized.

I would expect that the main uk dealer would mention some of the positives of a new product.
The interview is generally quite downbeat.
The controls are only one aspect of the device which to be fair to gph, have been fixed.

Orkie: Thanks for asking! :) How does the unit feel in the hands? How does the experience compare to holding and using the gp2x?
Also, I'd assume the select button is similar to the ones we'll see as the 4 control buttons on the final unit. What is the action like?
You'll remember the jxd301 had spongy buttons, hopefully these will be more like ds ones.
Any general info not mentioned so far would be great, Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Any news about a probable change of the 64mb NAND to 1gb NAND? It seem i hear they will extend the internal NAND to 1gb... dunno if it's true

Patch said:
Orkie: Thanks for asking! :) How does the unit feel in the hands? How does the experience compare to holding and using the gp2x?
Also, I'd assume the select button is similar to the ones we'll see as the 4 control buttons on the final unit. What is the action like?
You'll remember the jxd301 had spongy buttons, hopefully these will be more like ds ones.
Any general info not mentioned so far would be great, Cheers!
I think it feels much nicer than the GP2X. The GP2X is quite bulky and has that annoying battery bulge on the bottom. All the buttons on the Wiz are easy to press. The L/R buttons are clicky like on the DS, but the rest of the face buttons are squidgy, but much more like the GBC/GBA than the JXD301. While the screen does look a bit small when sat next to the GP2X, you don't really notice it while using the machine. It is overall a very nice, slim machine; you wouldn't want to force a bigger screen in there (which I doubt you could do anyway to be honest given that these things only come in standard sizes), the entire machine would have to grow significantly to do so since it is proportionally quite similar to the GP2X.

Of course, it is quite hard to describe such things in words :D.

Grz-, if their flyer says 1GB, I would assume it is going to be 1GB.

Orkie said:
The L/R buttons are clicky like on the DS, but the rest of the face buttons are squidgy, but much more like the GBC/GBA than the JXD301.
Great! I was a little disappointed with the button response of the JXD301 to be honest.

Orkie said:
I think it feels much nicer than the GP2X. The GP2X is quite bulky and has that annoying battery bulge on the bottom. All the buttons on the Wiz are easy to press. The L/R buttons are clicky like on the DS, but the rest of the face buttons are squidgy, but much more like the GBC/GBA than the JXD301.
I would like to ask if this shiny stuff onto the Buttons/Cross-Pads is real metal?

fusion_power said:
I would like to ask if this shiny stuff onto the Buttons/Cross-Pads is real metal?
Magnet says no, but they're very tasteful and discreetly done.

Peter R said:
Alex. said:
fusion_power said:
Magnet says no, but they're very tasteful and discreetly done.

And all metals are magnetic?

No, you're right, but I think I also spotted a plastic die cast seam on one of them. But maybe I'm wrong, and instead of pointing out my superficiality you could have confirmed or infirmed what I said. :p

Edit: On a more attentive touch, they seem noticeably colder than the surrounding plastic, so they are very likely made of real metal. Sorry 'bout that.

quasist said:
What about hardware 3D demos?
I haven't yet received any 3D libraries. All I was told is that MES were working on them and I will get them as soon as GPH does.

norm said:
i think is look like a nice little console i'll most likely buy one, shame there's no wifi (from what i can see anyway.
im getting the wiz cuz its cheaper and not as big
Pandora:430mhz
The Wiz :533mhz

ronii said:
norm said:
i think is look like a nice little console i'll most likely buy one, shame there's no wifi (from what i can see anyway.
im getting the wiz cuz its cheaper and not as big
Pandora:430mhz
The Wiz :533mhz

No, Pandora has a 600MHz processor. Besides, a ARM® Cortex™-A8 is a much higher quality chipset then the Pollux. Not to mention that the Pandora can be overclocked to 900MHz if need be...

CronoTriggerfan said:
No, Pandora has a 600MHz processor. Besides, a ARM® Cortex™-A8 is a much higher quality chipset then the Pollux. Not to mention that the Pandora can be overclocked to 900MHz if need be...
The A8 Cortex is a processor, not a SoC (Hence it is not a chipset). The Pollux is a SoC (Hence it is a chipset). Do not confuse the two.

craigix said:
If we sold 30k Pandoras I'd consider it a success beyond my wildest dreams.
Aye, would be nice eh ;) Anyways, i'm getting both a Pandora & a Wiz, both deserve success

sixela said:
Is it a production problem, or do you feel its going to not fare well in a Ds/PSP dominated market?

:blink: :pandora1: :blink:
Well, look at the target audience, it's a pretty niche kit of hardware (believe me, i know niches, ex-amigan :p ), and it's not like he's got afew million he can spend on marketting B)

Orkie said:
But was that success attained through emulators and homebrew? No.
Indeed, it's highly unlikely all 60k units are used "to their full potential", i suspect a large percentage is used primarely as a video player, luckally the bridge to jump from playing movies to playing homebrew/emu's isn't too large (unlike eg PSP).

Homebrew can be a nice addition, i know i'd love to play some new games, i'll even pay for good original games, same goes for emulation, although emulation tends to be linked to piracy of gameroms (an iRom store would be cool if you ask me, being able to download a rom with all manuals for $1 or even $5 would be nice).

Orkie said:
Is there anything in particular you want to know? :p
Yes, when can i buy one? :p

I received a sample unit from GPH and I can say that there SHOULD be a lot of improvement. The software part is relatively easy (a Flash based menu system?... Ouch!) but I think they should change the button layout.

DPad feels like it has center click. Another DPad on the right side (actually action buttons) and they feel the same as JXD301 which is also not very nice. I'd prefer GP2X type action and shoulder buttons.

I won't say anything about headphone jack... I think they will change it.

Hope GPH cares about user comments this time.

mfk said:
I received a sample unit from GPH and I can say that there SHOULD be a lot of improvement.
You actually DO know you got one of the old prototypes? The one with the double DPads and the 2,5mm headphone jack? Both will be changed... as can be seen on that other major thread.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
mfk said:
I received a sample unit from GPH and I can say that there SHOULD be a lot of improvement.
You actually DO know you got one of the old prototypes? The one with the double DPads and the 2,5mm headphone jack? Both will be changed... as can be seen on that other major thread.

I know this one is old prototype and there will be changes. Headphone jack and button lay out changes are good but they are not enough if they want to make a real good device. If they are going to change something I think they should collect more feedback from the community and change everything at once. That's what I was trying to say.

mfk said:
EvilDragon said:
mfk said:

I know this one is old prototype and there will be changes. Headphone jack and button lay out changes are good but they are not enough if they want to make a real good device. If they are going to change something I think they should collect more feedback from the community and change everything at once. That's what I was trying to say.

What else should they change?

Regards

André

Back