Gph: The Wiz - Official Announcement

Considering the pandora is said to turn a profit at the 3001st unit, 30k sounds pretty good to me.

Orkie said:
What success? It sold 30k units... I am not saying these things have been successful, quite the opposite in fact. Though the GP2X is doing reasonably well thanks to Voca Master. All I am saying is, the only way I can see for any of these machines to *gain* success is for the Linux fanatics to all jump on it.
I think 30,000 units is very successful for an obscure handheld game system from Korea. It also started the ball rolling for this community, That in itself is also a success. :)

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
If we sold 30k Pandoras I'd consider it a success beyond my wildest dreams.
So you are aiming for market saturation at a level of sales lower than that of the GP2x, by half? Actually, the GP2x hasn't reached market saturation as they are still selling as Vocamasters but I don't know how much longer that will run on for?

craigix said:
Ok craigix, the fact that you said this has me worried a little.

Talk of the Pandora has dominated these forums for awhile now and most of us have not even seen it. Its gotten more attention than the Gp2x ever had before it was released, and on paper there is very little to fault its capabilities. Its got a little something for everyone.

So it just seems strange that you made that statement, considering its potential.

Is it a production problem, or do you feel its going to not fare well in a Ds/PSP dominated market?

:blink: :pandora1: :blink:

sixela said:
craigix said:
Ok craigix, the fact that you said this has me worried a little.

Is it a production problem, or do you feel its going to not fare well in a Ds/PSP dominated market?

:blink: :pandora1: :blink:

I think its just a case of Craig not wanting to manage his own expectations. I'm sure deep down he feels it could outsell the GP2X. I know I do!

The GP2x (F100 and F-200) sold 60k so far:

Look here.

And yes, I would call that a success for a niche product...

But was that success attained through emulators and homebrew? No.

I will make this absolutely clear since at least one person here seems to have got the wrong end of the stick (don't worry, I won't embarrass you by naming names). This is purely my own opinion. It has nothing to do with GPH. GPH do not think that emulators are evil. I am not any kind of spokesperson for GPH. I offer suggestions and I do odd jobs if they ask and I have time, but I don't tell them how to market their product nor who to send prototypes to (unless they ask specifically who wrote a specific application of course).

Peter R said:
craigix said:
So you are aiming for market saturation at a level of sales lower than that of the GP2x, by half? Actually, the GP2x hasn't reached market saturation as they are still selling as Vocamasters but I don't know how much longer that will run on for?

We're aiming to sell as many as possible! Millions!

But I'm English so I'm quite reserved about these matters. I think 30k would be amazing, we just want to get it out there and see what happens.

craigix said:
We're aiming to sell as many as possible! Millions!
It would be interesting to know if your factories of choice could produce million Pandoras. :D We know even big companies often have Trouble to produce enough high-demand-units (EEE PC etc. )
Currently, there isn't even the long announced finished Pandora-Prototype(case) ready, so I really have doubts about the capacities of the Pandora manufacturing factorys. I'm sure there is a demand of over 50K (!) Pandora Units in maybe 3 or less Years so better check how many Pandoras could be produced in short time. ^_^

We are using a factory which can produce tens of thousands a month if we needed it, which is a strange thought.

I'd rather keep our feet on the ground for now though, let's get the 3000 done :)

Anyway, back to topic?

craigix said:
We are using a factory which can produce tens of thousands a month if we needed it, which is a strange thought.

I'd rather keep our feet on the ground for now though, let's get the 3000 done :)

Anyway, back to topic?
You'll just have to worry about the other 2999 then because I am getting one for sure.

I would probably get a Wiz if there weren't any other alternatives, mainly so that I could get full speed on a couple of the emulators that didn't quite make it there. I wouldn't really have too much problem with the second d-pad since it isn't a real d-pad. It's just four analog buttons shaped like a d-pad from what I can see. Strangely, the biggest downside for me is what everyone else will probably like about it: the size. I actually like the size of the GP2X because it fits very comfortably in my hands and the screen is a decent size. I kind of wish the screen was bigger. I'm sure (hopefully) it is nice and crisp but I still would prefer a larger screen. A real d-pad would be a huge boon for it as well. The buttons can't be worse than the stick that I've had to put up with for the last couple of years (F-100 of course) but I can't imagine that they can hold a candle to a really good d-pad. Big screen and real d-pad. I'd have paid the extra money just for those two features.

Doppleganger said:
There is now a piece on Pocketgamer regarding the Wiz:

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Various/GP2...news.asp?c=9155

I really think that ED should handle any further discussion about the wiz.
At least he seems genuinely pleased that the wiz exists.

Would it have been so hard for Craig to not diss GPH for at least ONE interview? In fairness GPH seem to have done a lot to please the gp2x community this time round. why not mention that?
I can see how having the wiz enter production before the pandora is a bit annoying but can this be the last bit of pandora chatter in the 'wiz official thread'?

I'd also like to see some new info or news from those who have wiz developer units. Please. :D

I agree with Patch. ED has done a good job being non-partisan, while craig less so. And yes, I also would like to see more info from the one's with dev units. Hell, I check the forum 5+ times a day just to get my fix of wiz news.

Erm, I want moar, not nou hau. (sorry, crap lolspeak skills)

Skeezix's thread was good, maybe stuff about the hold feature and battery life and boot up times if the hold doesn't work that well. Also info about the dev library (sdl only?) would be nice.

Patch said:
Doppleganger said:
There is now a piece on Pocketgamer regarding the Wiz:

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Various/GP2...news.asp?c=9155

I really think that ED should handle any further discussion about the wiz.
At least he seems genuinely pleased that the wiz exists.

Would it have been so hard for Craig to not diss GPH for at least ONE interview? In fairness GPH seem to have done a lot to please the gp2x community this time round. why not mention that?
I can see how having the wiz enter production before the pandora is a bit annoying but can this be the last bit of pandora chatter in the 'wiz official thread'?

I'd also like to see some new info or news from those who have wiz developer units. Please. :D

I don't see what all the fuss is? where is Craig exactly dissing GPH? The stuff he mentioned about moaning about the controls needed to be done otherwise who would buy a such a laughable machine with those controls? GPH have made mistakes, if you stop being stuck up their ass you will see he has been very fair with his comments.

Back