WIP Report: No known hardware issues, 30 days of uptime

sftp is just a part of ssh. If you can log in via ssh, you can also use sftp to transfer files. It just feels like ftp and most current ftp clients also support sftp. It is not ftp via ssl tough, that's something different.

Most or the time I use sftp from the commandline if I want to transfer a few files and rsync if I want to sync whole directory structures. Both use ssh for the transfer, as does scp. Your setup should already be working as is.

sftp is just a part of ssh. If you can log in via ssh, you can also use sftp to transfer files. It just feels like ftp and most current ftp clients also support sftp. It is not ftp via ssl tough, that's something different.

Most or the time I use sftp from the commandline if I want to transfer a few files and rsync if I want to sync whole directory structures. Both use ssh for the transfer, as does scp. Your setup should already be working as is.

Yep. I use filezilla for directory transfer.

Johny Cash:
I took one part a time and it ditnt cost me a dime..

Could whe move the Pyra Server discussion to a diverent threadt ??
I would like to open this Thread in 2028 whit my Pyra (whit a then pretty recent CPU Board) and dotnt want to scip much durch the OFF TOPIC..

Sftp could do it
Or sshfs...

But - the key to doing this without any additional hardware (wifi router, etc) would be setting up the Pyra as a WiFi DHCP access point AND as a client/server on that same access point. I'm pretty sure it can be done, but there are likely arcane command line commands and entries into odd configuration files required to make it happen.
[doublepost=1543420076,1543419241][/doublepost]
Johny Cash:
I took one part a time and it ditnt cost me a dime..

Could whe move the Pyra Server discussion to a diverent threadt ??
I would like to open this Thread in 2028 whit my Pyra (whit a then pretty recent CPU Board) and dotnt want to scip much durch the OFF TOPIC..

Using the Pyra as a combined WiFi access point with DHCP server IS relevant though. Your objective is to copy a collection of files from one place (your computer) to the Pyra. One or the other needs to be the server to do it over networking. The other alternative is to use a USB stick - also known as sneakernet.

With the hardware in the Pyra, it doesn't take too much of a leap of logic to see that it can be used as a combined WiFi to 4G access point/bridge AND as a file server on that same network. Eventually it should be configurable to where you can have an icon in the status bar "Activate Access Point & Server Mode". Then anyone/you with the network login for your access point would be able to connect to the PyraNet. Those permissioned (you) from there would be able to see the 4G (internet). They/you would also (using additional user name & password or public/private keyring) be able to log into the PyraServer to SSHFS or SFTP files to/from the up to 2.6 TB of data that the Pyra is capable of storing. It might sound complicated, but once someone gets it all figured out and packaged, it should be VERY cool.

Picture driving down the road with 4 people and a load of content on the Pyra in server mode. Everyone would be able to connect their Pyras or phones or whatever to the central PyraServer to see/use the content there - movies/music/games/whatever. This use case:
Code:
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Wireless-Portable-Built-STCK1000100/dp/B00JSQV44S?th=1

How about you at a Unimog event being able to set up a WiFi network with common file store or even a MySQL database for the 6 people who are running the registration booth to record entry information?

Instant network just add clients. Copying your music collection is simply a basic user case.

I used to download audio to my Pandora by setting up a user with minimal privs on my laptop to hold the audio files, then logging into that using scp to copy the files over. Worked fine for my use cases. I always relied on my router running the DHCP server and both devices connected to that in order to be on the same network.

But - the key to doing this without any additional hardware (wifi router, etc) would be setting up the Pyra as a WiFi DHCP access point AND as a client/server on that same access point.

Well, in reality the Pyra is not much different from a Raspberrry Pi or any of the other Single Board Computer out there. It is indeed much cooler and includes lots of peripherals, a screen etc. but architecturally they are the same. Everyhing server related described in this thread is easily possible with a Raspberry Pi for example. Since Pyra will ship with Debian, there will be no problem implementing all that and more.

I'm pretty sure it can be done, but there are likely arcane command line commands and entries into odd configuration files required to make it happen.

You are of course correct, and this is the way it should be ;-). People administrating servers are most of the time satisfied with the freedom and flexibility commandline tools and config files give you. That is why you can even install recent versions of Windows Server without any Graphical User Interface at all - who wold have believed that 10 years ago. The problem is - people who are into this stuff don't use GUIs much and people who would like to have GUIs are often not the ones capable of creating them... Well there you go. The story of the Linux Desktop summed up in one paragraph ;-)

But in all seriousness. If you want to run server related tasks on your Pyra a mere two months from now - read some manuals, howtos and why not also ask here. I'm sure there will be lots of people around to help (including myself). You'll learn a lot and will enjoy the power of power using your Pyra!

You are of course correct, and this is the way it should be ;-). People administrating servers are most of the time satisfied with the freedom and flexibility commandline tools and config files give you.

Yep I get that - infinite flexibility blah. I've done some network and systems admin work and I get it - the zen of networking on a port by port permissions basis for security perfection.

In the case of the Pyra, though, have a simple application to open, put in the following information:
PyraNet On/Off
Name of PyraNet:
Password of PyraNet:
UserID(s) allowed to ssh into this Pyra: (show a check list of user names with valid logins)
UserID(s) alllowed to sshfs into this Pyra: (show a check list of user names with valid logins)
UserID(s) allowed to bridge to 4G: (show a check list of user names with valid logins)
1st Path to common/shared files: (show a check list of user names with valid logins) Read only? Y/N
2nd Path to common/shared files: (show a check list of user names with valid logins) Read only? Y/N

With that information, a simple script could then do in seconds what would take me 30 minutes manually and the 'average user' 3 hours to configure. If someone wants a 'better' setup than that, then research away. But - the basics of this don't need to be a hazing ritual to get working.

I still don't see why you need the Pyra to set up a local network. Whenever I'm transferring files, I'm at some kind of home base where I can access the house's wifi. I don't generally carry the source device and the listening or watching device with me when I'm out and about and needing that kind of network, indeed most of my source devices run on the mains rather than a battery.

Edit: Fairure in the edit you can still read in where it's quoted below if you like. I originally wrote 'an ad-hoc' before deciding that was already a named properly in wifi networking, so changed it for something more generic and less technical, without realising that I'd already written an 'an' to precede the initial vowel of 'ad-hoc' before replacing it with 'local' but not adjusting the indefinite article correspondingly.

Last edited:
I just bought a 400 gb Micro SD card for 69€ on Amazon. Bot an other one for 79€.
That's a great price. Much better GB/€ than the 512 gb cards.
I can live with the 100 gb less but get 2 of them for less than what one 512 gb card costs.
And with the Adapter they are fine with the Pyra. Especially as they don't have to be A2 classified. The main programs will be on the internal storage anyways.
It's A San Disk Ultra, so I suppose it's good quality. Better than the ones I had before for sure.

The Amazon page linked sells them for 117€. Slightly more than 69€
Alternate.de is selling them for 110€ w/o shipping.
Saturn is selling them for 91€ incl shipping.

https://www.idealo.de/preisvergleic...-a1-microsdxc-400gb-sdsquar-400g-sandisk.html

Use Amazon for the reviews, then buy elsewhere 10-20% cheaper.

I still don't see why you need the Pyra to set up an local network. Whenever I'm transferring files, I'm at some kind of home base where I can access the house's wifi. I don't generally carry the source device and the listening or watching device with me when I'm out and about and needing that kind of network, indeed most of my source devices run on the mains rather than a battery.
He is talking about a field trip where all you got with you is a Pyra and other people want to access your stuff.
Creating a WIFI access point with DHCP is not that hard under linux.

Tryed my new „Pyra Desctop“ Setup today whit the GPD Win as Pyra Dummy: and i made a bit cleaning whit the Cables on my Desktop :
It’s now only the cable I need:
The Anker USB 3 Hub should get a USB C Cable that Powers the Pyra
And it’s connected to my USB 3 Card Reader and USB 3 Stick
And to my old USB 2 Hub where the Keyboard and Mouse is connected
Seems like a 4 Port USB 3 Hub is a bit to small ^^
But as the Mouse and Keyboard didn’t need USB 3..
Maybe I use the Bluetooth Mouse on Pyra , the one Hub should be enough..

Why is it faster to send the files to a PC whit USB 3 ??
This should also work whit the GPD Win as long as the Pyra isn’t there..

Reactions: rSl
I normally use SFTP to transfer files to/from the Pandora. But for a large size like matzesu was talking about, even USB2 is way faster and more reliable, so I'll plug a flash drive or one of the Pandora's SD cards (with USB card reader) into the computer. Maybe Pyra's wifi will be faster than Pandora, but is "transfer via wifi instead" really a good suggestion for "transferring gigabytes via USB2 is too slow"?

So are cases the last thing production wise now? I haven't been keeping track exactly what's left to be done.
When this was posted, ED's headline concern was not having a fully automated test script he could use to test systems before sending them out. I've not heard of any patches on the mainline concerning that, although there's plenty of other bits and pieces getting fixed, e.g. USB3 OTG was the last thing I think. Until I hear that he's got that, I'd assume he hasn't and getting prototypes out to devs is a slow and painstaking process still.

Back