Wii 2 - Confirmed

I don't really understand the point of cloud based gaming, if they want you to play via software, why not just make the games a one off download?

KodeIn definately has a point about when the company drops the support, that would suck majorly.

Why try to change a system that has worked for the past 30 odd years? (physical media)

EDIT: Pagebreak FUUUUUUUUU

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't like cloud?
I love Cloud! He carries a big sword and doesn't afraid of anything!

Oh, cloud computing? Well, I don't hate it, but I don't really care for the idea of cloud gaming. If the service dies, WHERE ARE MY GAMES NOW?!

You don't like cloud?

Oh, cloud computing? Well, I don't hate it, but I don't really care for the idea of cloud gaming. If the service dies, WHERE ARE MY GAMES NOW?!
Also, it will require an always-on internet connection that is capable of downloading several-GB games in a reasonable time and if your connection fails then no games for you. That is why I think we will never move to more than DCD or pseudo-clud services such as Steam anytime soon.

^ It's also not very likely to be a financially viable service to offer anytime soon, if ever, too.

You don't like cloud?

Also, it will require an always-on internet connection that is capable of downloading several-GB games in a reasonable time and if your connection fails then no games for you. That is why I think we will never move to more than DCD or pseudo-clud services such as Steam anytime soon.

Wait, wha? Oh, yeah. I'm suddenly thinking of OnLive.

so who else would be pissed if nintendo went cloud gaming?, also i find it hard to believe that the picture of "cafe" is legit, seeing as how theres an LED flashing w/o any power source plugged in

You don't like cloud?

You beat me to the reference, Jourdy. I was going to say, "Not having Cloud (and by extension Square) was one reason that Nintendo slipped from being the dominant gaming company."

So if the various spec related rumors are true, and given we're probably talking about 28nm, the PPC CPUs should at the very least have their Out of Order bits intact, unlike Sony or Microsoft's current offerings but like the Wii. If Nintendo is going with R700, as rumoured, a integrated 4870 should be easily enough to pull off in a reasonable die area integrated design and 1-2GB of GDDR5 shouldn't be too outrageously expensive.

The net result would be something that utterly humiliates the Microsoft/Sony offering almost but not quite as much as a Gamer's PC. On the positive side if Microsoft/Sony decide to try to do the better specs then thou through subsidizing hardware they will be incentivized to encourage development of engines with demands higher then CryEngine 2.

And I'll still probably buy Nintendo consoles because it'll have the cheapest launch price
laugh.gif

(I may be more interested into the fun of a game than the graphical quality of it…)

Microsoft/Sony future offering will quadruple Nintendo Wii 2's specs.
Given the realm people are talking for that is 20nm, that's possible with a effective Radeon HD 8770, supposing Nintendo aims for just a 4870 equivalent, if they go back to the more classical naming conventions. DirectX probably iterating to 12 with Windows 8 having been released for some time at that point. If they do what they did with their current platforms and we presume things go as before Cafe will hit the end of its 5 year cycle in 2017-18, which makes it right around the time Sony/Microsoft break even on a per quarter basis presuming a 2014-15 release and 2-3 years to balance stuff out like this generation. At that point Nintendo could in turn can sell a competitive or superior product at cost with unique extra features and 10nm parts. Hence if Sony/Microsoft do continue the strategy of selling at a loss they could get burned quite badly as per quarter is not the same as clearing the project's debt.

Microsoft/Sony however have a nasty habit of compromising overall system performance by removing important bits and not having enough memory assets. Hence a computer with a Phenom II X3 and a X1900 can handle CryEngine 2 at 1440x900 about as well as a XBox 360 can handle

https://www.youtube.com/embed/VwaCQHZV41A?feature=oembed much less computationally intensive engine at 1280x720p. A 6990, aka the modern 4x the 4870 solution, runs Crysis Warhead on Enthusiast with high filtering with solid fps at 2560x1600, meaning you need to up the engines for the average person to make use of that kind of power. That or what have been considered large screen TVs, which is to say 30" at high computer resolution densities and more like 60" for TV densities, would need to become the standard baseline.

Of course, if Nintendo handles 3rd party vendors appropriately the Microsoft/Sony system could effectively end up in the same position as PC gamers where while studios do develop specifically for their higher specced platform, the hyped titles are multiplatform. Along those lines Carmack has indicated Rage/IdTech 5 will be coming to iPhone and presumably Android, and Microsoft as part of the Windows 8 initiative is encouraging other software vendors to design things to easily transfer between ARM and x86. One also has to account for the rise of namebrand ARM and x86 HTPCs, which will have not inconsiderable GPU power aimed at cleaning up and enhancing TV signals that can in turn handle games.

I'm not sure I know my stuff that well, given the only solid stuff is from books relative to early 80x86, but I try.

I think it'll be interesting to see how things develop. The 2020s should be really interesting as we should hit the limit on die shrinkage somewhere around there, and while that won't be the end of development the market should become quite different.

I hope Nintendo doesn't put games in the cloud, cloud computing scares the crap out of me. I don't want companies having that much control, I would rather just have a physical cartridge/disc for my games. I don't even buy anything over DSi ware because I don't feel like I own it, it is just being lent to me by Nintendo.

Yeah, physical retail games for the win. I hate dd and am not a big fan of cloud gaming.

Yeah, hopefully I'll still be alive by 2020+.
You won't be. Rapture happens in 18-19 days. Billboards say so. At least you've got your Pandora to keep you company until then. :)
lol, 2 weeks to go :p

Back