Epic Ripoffs

Polossatik said:

This is a pretty interesting website. Unfortunately, the implementation is quite incomplete, only reproducing the 2A03, and itself not complete (ie, no audio). Most notably missing is the PPU. A real NES has to be used to provide these components.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it's not quite a rip off, but I saw it in TJ Maxx yesterday (mum needed something) and my little sister wanted to see the toy aisle. I saw this thing and immediately thought of this thread. Wonder where they got the name...
5n7w2u.jpg

2r1zrxh.jpg

I present teh 16-bit TurboGrip!!!11!oen!

Attachments

• 5n7w2u.jpg
    5n7w2u.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 141
  • 2r1zrxh.jpg
    2r1zrxh.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 135
One of those looks some kind of strange Side Pocket (Mega Drive/Genesis/SNES) clone. Too bad you didn't buy it.

My nephew has two tv games like the turbogirp, a Batman one and a Spongebob one. They have to be 16 big, much better than NES, so I think it's a Genesis-on-a-chip, but I'm not sure. The games are original, not too in depth but still pretty cool. The Batman one has mostly side scrollers, one that was pretty fun is a speed boat level. The Spongebob one was mostly educational with one side scroller, not as good as Batman but it was designed for younger kids.

If it is a Genesis-on-chip I wonder if anyone has ever found out to pull the roms, I might get them if someone found that out.

@Jourdy - That seems to be one of Jungletac's devices, if I'm not mistaken (or at least, the game screenshots appear reminiscent of theirs). :p

@second exodus - It's not a Mega-Drive-on-a-chip. I can't remember where I read it, but Jakks Pacific used their own SoC (or one they licensed from someone else) for those, if memory serves. I have the "Three Arcade Classics from Capcom" stick from them, which is quite good for what it is. :)

Ah that sucks. I guess it's cheaper to make your own SOC rather than license one from Sega. The games weren't revolutionary, but there were a few fun ones.

In fairness, the SoCs that Sega has put their name on are, in a word, awful. :p (EDIT: I should note that I'm referring to the Radica/Sega Toys units, here. It turns out that the more recent AtGames stuff is not really MD hardware.)

I'll try to see if I can find out what's actually in the things, this has made me curious again...

EDIT: Got it. According to some of the stuff I've found, the Jakks TV Games use hardware from Sunplus.

Back