Wii 2 - Confirmed

The Wii was an outdated hunk of junk from day one, but by some miracle of modern man, it succeeded despite the odds.
How does this not apply to all consoles ever manufactured since there was something you could legitimately call a home computer?
Well, until the original XBOX was released, I would say consoles and PC's where always 2 very differant entities that appealed to very differant markets. The Xbox actually kinda of brought the two more together, but I still personally find the markets seperate, but this last console generation has defintely been the closest ever to being on par with some PC experiances IMO. Portal 2 releasing tommorow for the PS3 is a perfect example of the two finally coming together in a good way.

When I reffered to the Wii being a hunk of junk, it was in relation to the PS3 and 360(Nintendo's direct competition at the time). As the wii was technically a gamecube from 1 generation before. I would never call the Gamecube a hunk of junk at release, as it was technically very fit along side the PS2 and origianl Xbox. Consoles & PC's is an apples and oranges argument at best.

Chris

Well, until the original XBOX was released, I would say consoles and PC's where always 2 very differant entities that appealed to very differant markets. The Xbox actually kinda of brought the two more together, but I still personally find the markets seperate, but this last console generation has defintely been the closest ever to being on par with some PC experiances IMO. Portal 2 releasing tommorow for the PS3 is a perfect example of the two finally coming together in a good way.
I remember back when people made a big deal out of buying Xboxes and installing windows on them just to show how similar they were to a stock PC. I also rememer people frying eggs on them.

Good times.

Well, until the original XBOX was released, I would say consoles and PC's where always 2 very differant entities that appealed to very differant markets.
Yes, which for the most part has been the inexpensive and really inexpensive market.

The Amiga was out by the time the Nintendo Entertainment System was released outside of Japan but it was sold for around half the price of a Commodore 64 and had solid titles, and a result sold vastly more units then Commodore ever did. Think about it.

T'was just part of all the anti-Xbox sentiment that was going round the 'nets. People didn't consider it a 'real' console due to the hardware similarities with an ordinary PC, and so 'repurposed' it in various ways (That and the fact that the very first Xboxes had ridiculous overheating issues). Those are the only two things I can remember, though.

My personal thinking is that it's unlikely. However, if there really is a new machine, I am certain that it won't be the ridiculous and currently ever-changing Frankenstein (which has mysteriously changed again today after people pointed out how daft parts of it were yesterday) that's currently being dreamed up by these rumour-rags. :p

Prometheus, I do have to take small issue with you referring to Kotaku, IGN and Game Informer as "rags." While we do not have official confirmation of the (in my opinion very likely) Wii 2, those game news sites are hardly unreliable as a whole.

I think that the timing is right for a new console. What that will mean from Nintendo is anyone's guess, but the previous points made by Exophase and others support this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Nintendo have a new console on the way. A new Sonic game is on the way and it's only for PS3 and 360 as it's "Full HD". I don't really see SEGA really wanting to miss out on the Wii's audience. The game is rumoured for a late 2011/early 2012 release. The earliest rumoured launch date for Nintendo's new console.

My personal thinking is that it's unlikely. However, if there really is a new machine, I am certain that it won't be the ridiculous and currently ever-changing Frankenstein (which has mysteriously changed again today after people pointed out how daft parts of it were yesterday) that's currently being dreamed up by these rumour-rags. :p

Prometheus, I do have to take small issue with you referring to Kotaku, IGN and Game Informer as "rags." While we do not have official confirmation of the (in my opinion very likely) Wii 2, those game news sites are hardly unreliable as a whole.
My apologies for having a different opinion to yourself of these sites, their reliability, and their journalistic standards.

You're welcome to have your own opinion, and differ from mine or not, I'd die for your right to have it. May I ask in this case then, what gaming news sites live up to your standards?

If you're curious: Absolutely none of them, and the same goes for print magazines as well. I feel that they all have the same problems - they're all politicised and I find that it's impossible to get any honest information out of them as they're usually either in the pockets of advertisers, and/or otherwise taking valuable bribes in order to paint certain pictures, in addition to the fact that usually what equates to "journalism" with these outlets is regurgitating of the same press releases/press packages as all of their brethren, or just re-posting exactly the same things as other sites and blogs, and also blindly repeating the claims of dubious "analysts", with no actual research whatsoever. I don't like that, so I choose not to grant them money and/or hits that equate to advertising revenue (dependent on whether they're a paper publication or a website), and I certainly don't believe that I can trust what they claim, whatever that may be. (Some people claim that these publications operate as part of "a Pavlovian hype machine". Sometimes I find myself raising an eyebrow and thinking that these people could be right. :lol: )

The sole exception to this, for me, is Retro Gamer magazine, by Imagine Publishing, which by virtue of covering things that the politicised industry has little sway over, does not have any of these problems.

As an aside, I've had much better luck with my purchases since cutting them all out of my picture, too. :p (In fact, the only bad game I've bought in the last five years was one where I inadvertently got suckered by what ultimately turned out to be a false "grass roots" campaign organised in part by some influenced by such sources in an attempt to promote it. I still need to trade that one in, come to think of it. I doubt it's worth much, though. :lol: )

I can see why not everyone will see it that way and will question why I choose to refer to them as I do - my views have been shaped by my personal experiences, and others' mileage will of course vary.

I've found review from magazines and review sites to be far more useful than user reviews tend to be. What's important to me is how well the review describes the game without spoiling it, in a way that I can get a good idea of whether or not I'll like it. It really doesn't matter to me if their written opinion about the game or the scores they give it is bribed. The actual ability to convey this varies a lot from review to review and reviewer to reviewer, but some people have a talent for this regardless of ulterior motives.

I find user reviews tend to be a lot worse at this. They're often incoherent gush fests or slam fests and focus more on their feelings than anything else. Bribes may sway review results sometimes, but reviewing mags at least will want to have a lot of reviews and won't be looking for reasons to review things. Users, on the other hand, are most compelled to review only if they have a strong opinion of something. That, or they're someone's writing practice and go completely off the deep end on abstract concepts barely pertinent to the review.

Anyway, there's so much information about games out these days that it's hard not to be able to form a good opinion. I don't buy much, but I still rarely feel burned. Not like I did when I blindly rented or bought used games a very long time ago.

^ Indeed, and good gracious have I ever seen some tripey user-reviews in my time. :lol:

Enfin pour conclure avec les objets, je vous ai ramené une tasse de... café ! Vous aurez compris que je fais référence au fameux « Projet Café », la Wii 2 en rumeur depuis quelques jours sur le net...

Oui, j'ai vu qu'on retrouve des rumeurs parlant de « Café ». A la fois j'ai envie de dire que c'est normal. Vous savez pour Nintendo, comme pour l'ensemble des autres constructeurs, notre métier est de concevoir de nouvelles machines. Nous estimons qu'il faut 5 ans pour faire de la Recherche & Développement intéressante. Après, j'avoue qu'il n'y a pas de fumée sans feu. Il faut bien voir que nous passons notre temps à développer des consoles de jeu en interne. Certaines que vous ne verrez jamais. Chez nous, tant que nous ne savons pas exactement où nous allons, et quand est-ce que nous sortirons notre prochaine console, nous ne communiquons pas publiquement. Mais il ne faut pas croire tout ce qu'on peut lire...

Finally to conclude with the products, I've brought a cup of ... coffee! You may know that I am referring to the famous "Project Cafe", the Wii 2 rumour that has being several days on the net lately

Yes, I heard about rumors speak about "Cafe". I admit that it's normal. You know that in Nintendo, like all other manufacturers, our job is to design new machines. But we believe it takes 5 years to make the R & D interesting.Of course, I admit that there is no smoke without fire but you must realize that we spend our time developing in-house gaming consoles. Some of those you will never see them. Because we do not know exactly where we are going and when do we get out our next console, we do not disclose it publicly. But you should not believe everything you read.

From an interview with Shigeru Miyamoto.

Your point?

He's paid to say sh*t like that.
It is simply a quote of an official dismissal of the rumours that some other people were paid to write.

Your point?

He's paid to say sh*t like that.
It is simply a quote of an official dismissal of the rumours that some other people were paid to write.
I read this earlier today on a few sites, and almost everyone thought it was admission from Miyamoto that the Wii 2, project cafe, Ect., is indeed real. I personally have been seing these kinds of statments from Nintendo for 20 years, nothing new really. When the Wii was released, R&D guys will always say something new is in the works. The same happens at Sony, and Microsoft.

Before Windows 7 gets released, Windows 8 is already being worked on. That's how this industry works, and always will. Now when Windows 8 get's released is the question?

So the fact that he doesn't deny a new system, and just says you can't believe everything you read. Tells me a new machine is on the way, but it just might not have "ALL" the specs and abilties that have been rumored over the last few weeks.

Chris

Tells me a new machine is on the way, but it just might not have "ALL" the specs and abilties that have been rumored over the last few weeks.
But the core of the rumours has not been "There might be a new machine." which is a sensible enough guess, but instead "Anonymous sources have told us that there's a new machine that definitely has this and this and that and the other, and such-and-such is definitely what's planned, honest!", which is very, very different. :lol:

Tells me a new machine is on the way, but it just might not have "ALL" the specs and abilties that have been rumored over the last few weeks.
But the core of the rumours has not been "There might be a new machine." which is a sensible enough guess, but instead "Anonymous sources have told us that there's a new machine that definitely has this and this and that and the other, and such-and-such is definitely what's planned, honest!", which is very, very different. :lol:
I completely agree!

I have been following this industry for 30+ years, and I have seen every rumor, line of BS, company spin, denial, and everything inbetween. So what the system may or may not be able to do, is always pie in the sky until it is actually released. Hell, Nintendo themselves have made claims for systems in the past, and you sometimes don't see that aspect used, or introduced over time.

So for me personally, I take publications and first party comments all with the same grain of salt. As they both have their own agenda's in the long run, and guess what? All of these agenda's are fuelded by "MONEY", so there is only ever enough truth to keep money flowing in the direction of whomever is spouting whatever!

Chris

I read this earlier today on a few sites, and almost everyone thought it was admission from Miyamoto that the Wii 2, project cafe, Ect., is indeed real.
Sounds like he's saying "yeah, we're working on something, but we're ALWAYS working on something. Most of the things we work on you'll never see, and this is probably one of them."

Back