Epic Ripoffs

Jourdy288

Find an obvious console knockoff? Post here.

I'll get it started. Ladies and gentleman, the Vii!

[quote name= 'Wikipedia']
SportVii.jpg
The Sport Vii (威力棒) is a video game console similar to Nintendo's Wii.[1] Originally released in China in 2007, according to Engadget China the console used to sell for 1,280 Yuan; now in 2009 the Vii sells for 443 Yuan a substantially lower price.

The Vii's Handybar controller is similar in design to the Wii Remote but is smaller in size. It features full motion detection but not the pointing capability of the Wii Remote.[/quote]

I wanted to post this up in its own thread, but hey it fits in nicely here. Thanks to some other dude on some other thread for the heads up.

Neo Slim 3000

Neo_Slim_3000.JPG

Code:
Screen: 320*240 pix matrix true color 3.5-inch TFT display
Digital recorder:Voice recording and supports MP3/WAV formats
FM Radio: Worldwide FM band support, from 76.0MHz~108.0MHz, support manual/auto channel scanning, support
FM recording/playing multi-task. User can save up to 40 channels.
Image: Image browsing format includes JPG, BMP GIF, PNG, with zoom, rotate and image slide show function.
E-book: E-book reader to support multi-task
Video: Support RM/RMVB/ASF/AVI/MP4/FLV format and so on, up to 34 kinds of video playback directly,
not need convert
Music: MP3/WMA/OGG/APE/FLAC/WAV format music playback directly, not need convert ,synchronous lyrics display
function, multiple EQ options,3D virtual sound field, surround sound effect and play mode options, support multi-task.
Game: Support FC/MD/SFC/GBA Format 8bit/16bit/32bit games.
Memory: Built in 2GByte, and support SD/Mini SD/TF memory card.
Data translate: USB2.0 high speed, support WIN2000/XP/VISTA/WIN7/MAC Operation System.
Power: Built in rechargeable Li-Ion battery, support long-time running capability

Source -- Neoflash.com

No points for guessing what features are being borrowed here. Interestingly, looking at the hardware specs it could be a recased Gemei/Dingoo A320.
I did make some suggestions to Dr. Neo & team about the pad & button layouts, I was truly shocked to get a personal reply from the Dr. himself :):)

PoisonedV said:
How is the Phantom like the Pandora or the Pandora like the Phantom? Is it because they both were never released? It's pretty certain the Pandora will be released.

Last edited by a moderator:
The story behind the Phantom is *possibly* worse than the Gizmondo story. People should have gone to prison, but somehow didn't.

might i add in Gizmondo defence when it was announced... it was top spec hardware. camera, GPS, bluetooth, fast 3d processing for its day, GPRS, txt and pic messaging. available for £250 yes it was a advert supported product... but that was the only one available the £400 standard version was rare but also a waste of time as the advert crap never got started. might i add it did have commerical games (sticky balls is an excellent game if youve laughed at the name but never played it, was acctually made for the PSP).

yes the excs were crooks but the console imo isnt a rip off just v poorly managed. at least unlike the phantom they got out of the vaporware stage... unfortuntuly it was a year late and other tech had superseeded it. dont get me wrong the gizmondo is dead and crap now, but i will defend innaccuracies with peoples comments :p

When I was in Brazil one console was all the rage, the box looked a lot like this, although this is the English version:

PolyStation.JPG

So it had a box like N64 but the body of a PSone, the new smaller Playstation. On the back of the box it had a ton of pics of N64 games along with a few Sega Saturn and Playstation games. Guess what, they were all included + 250 more = 300 GAMES!!!!! This was the machine to end all machines!!!!! (sorry I couldn't find a shot of the back of the box.)

When you got it and opened it, and flipped up the CD try you saw this:

polystation-game-01.jpg

Yes, it was the body of the origional PS, a lot smaller however, and it didn't come with a CD it came with a yellow cart. And no it didn't have 300 games on the cart, it had 10. All of them were in Japanese, but the biggest let down is it didn't play N64, Sega Saturn, or PS games, they were NES games. The cartridges were sold everywhere and they were not all Japanese, some of them were in English and Portuguese. Some of them were pretty cool, I saw a Street Fighter II that was a rom hack that had 4 of the SFII characters in 8-bit.

On the average however it was a let down. I think it must have sold one billion in Brazil, you would see them smashed in the streets all the time, and every house I went to had one and often the kids were playing them.

I was going to get one for a joke but by the time I came home they were Wii bodies or PS3 bodies, neither of console I had played up to that point so it had no nostalgic value.

second exodous said:
When I was in Brazil one console was all the rage, the box looked a lot like this, although this is the English version:

PolyStation.JPG

So it had a box like N64 but the body of a PSone, the new smaller Playstation. On the back of the box it had a ton of pics of N64 games along with a few Sega Saturn and Playstation games. Guess what, they were all included + 250 more = 300 GAMES!!!!! This was the machine to end all machines!!!!! (sorry I couldn't find a shot of the back of the box.)

When you got it and opened it, and flipped up the CD try you saw this:

polystation-game-01.jpg

Yes, it was the body of the origional PS, a lot smaller however, and it didn't come with a CD it came with a yellow cart. And no it didn't have 300 games on the cart, it had 10. All of them were in Japanese, but the biggest let down is it didn't play N64, Sega Saturn, or PS games, they were NES games. The cartridges were sold everywhere and they were not all Japanese, some of them were in English and Portuguese. Some of them were pretty cool, I saw a Street Fighter II that was a rom hack that had 4 of the SFII characters in 8-bit.

On the average however it was a let down. I think it must have sold one billion in Brazil, you would see them smashed in the streets all the time, and every house I went to had one and often the kids were playing them.

I was going to get one for a joke but by the time I came home they were Wii bodies or PS3 bodies, neither of console I had played up to that point so it had no nostalgic value.

I have one of those :) . Bought it while on vacation (not Brasil), it broke down shortly after I came back. On one cartridge, there's a picture of FFVII characters, but the game is called totally different. It was some 2D platformer that crashed after I completed the first stage.

Attachments

• PolyStation.JPG
    PolyStation.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 79
  • polystation-game-01.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 0
I think 99.99% of rip off consoles use NES on a chip. I wish that some Chinese company would make a Playstation on a chip, Dreamcast on a chip, Sega Saturn on a chip, SNES on a chip, anything above an NES.

There is an official Genesis on a chip created by Sega but I wish Sega would make chips for their other systems as well.

second exodous said:
I think 99.99% of rip off consoles use NES on a chip. I wish that some Chinese company would make a Playstation on a chip, Dreamcast on a chip, Sega Saturn on a chip, SNES on a chip, anything above an NES.

There is an official Genesis on a chip created by Sega but I wish Sega would make chips for their other systems as well.
Have you forgotten about the iQue? It runs a N64 on a chip

second exodous said:

I like how the unit itself doesn't even look exactly like what's on the box.

It's just not a game anymore!! XD That slogan's funny. It makes me smile.

It's amazing how they keep on rolling those Famiclones for so long, they started that in early 90s (maybe even 80s?).
http://ultimateconsoledatabase.com/famiclones.htm

I bought my first famiclone sometime in 1993-1994, it was my first console. I was ~11 years old, had to save money for maybe half of year to get one. It was called Hitex:
http://ultimateconsoledatabase.com/famiclones/hitex.htm

At the time I had no idea it was a NES clone, or what NES was in that matter. NES was never released or marketed here, famiclones weren't marketed too but I knew about them from my friends.
This one was already based on a single chip, which was quite good clone of real NES hardware, don't remember any significant differences. Build quality was pretty poor though, the cartridge ejector broke a few weeks after use, gamepad cables did too (that's when I learned how to use soldering iron).

Oh the memories..

Trevsweb said:
might i add in Gizmondo defence when it was announced... it was top spec hardware. camera, GPS, bluetooth, fast 3d processing for its day, GPRS, txt and pic messaging. available for £250 yes it was a advert supported product... but that was the only one available the £400 standard version was rare but also a waste of time as the advert crap never got started. might i add it did have commerical games (sticky balls is an excellent game if youve laughed at the name but never played it, was acctually made for the PSP).

yes the excs were crooks but the console imo isnt a rip off just v poorly managed. at least unlike the phantom they got out of the vaporware stage... unfortuntuly it was a year late and other tech had superseeded it. dont get me wrong the gizmondo is dead and crap now, but i will defend innaccuracies with peoples comments :p
Those inaccuracies were not in this thread before you posted them, though... :unsure:
When I think about it today, I'm still surprised that somebody fell for the Gametrac. And I'm even more surprised that the Swedish mafia guys actually made a few of the things. Also, I'm still very angry because the Gametrac did some real damage to the Zodiac's standing.

The Gizmondo dictated the qualifications that I follow for gaming handhelds for the rest of my life:

1. The company that makes the handheld needs to have delivered well-made or popular handhelds in the past.
2. If rule One is not met it has to run an open OS(official or a community OS that works well) so that when the company dies it's just not a door stop.

So I'll only buy from Nintendo, Sony, and if Sega ever makes another handheld I'm there. Or it needs to be open like the GP2X, Dingoo, Pandora, or handhelds like them.

SONY said:
As mentioned before...

The Phantom was indeed released. Dead on arrival though. B)

The phantom was released? Is this a joke I don't get?

Back