WiFi, tests and CircuitCo (2011-06-17)

Such sockets require quite a lot of space, even without the Wifi stuff etc free space is still very rare, and it would make the device even thicker than it already is. Then there's the question whether there would be a need for an easier way to reach those sockets than opening the whole case.

Howabout a recessed USB port that has enough room to slot in a small square area that could optionally protrude when a module is inserted.

There are plenty of options available, if the system was more modular you wouldn't have to worry about getting a Pandora with broken WiFi, you'd just get sent a replacement usb slot part while having a working pandora in your hands instead of waiting for a circuit company to re-solder your board.

Last edited by a moderator:
But then we might have something more complex, which would result in a larger and more expensive Pandora.

But then we might have something more complex, which would result in a larger and more expensive Pandora.

Well it's all academic thinking anyway, simply possibilities that could be explored for a next gen product that could side-step issues that are prolonging this gens production. If "ifs" are always perceived as scary and inconceivable then systems will never evolve.

Will this be the last custom portable electronic device we will ever own? Would we like to repeat the waiting period in the next system or possibly think up ways to shorten the production time and subsequently the wait time from purchase to utilization?

Well it's all academic thinking anyway, simply possibilities that could be explored for a next gen product that could side-step issues that are prolonging this gens production. If "ifs" are always perceived as scary and inconceivable then systems will never evolve.

Will this be the last custom portable electronic device we will ever own? Would we like to repeat the waiting period in the next system or possibly think up ways to shorten the production time and subsequently the wait time from purchase to utilization?

To my mind this sort of production delay is not a good reason for a redesign of the hardware. The hardware design was not at fault, rather the problem was insufficient testing during production. If CC had had these testing rigs prior to this, then before they changed any aspect of the production on a wide scale they could have made it on a small scale first and tested to see if it would break anything, or failing that they could have caught the issue long before delivering the product and could have advised OPL of the issue and what they were doing to fix it, and the delay would have been much less.

In other words, the lesson to take away from this is one of quality control, not one of hardware design.

- Neelix

EDIT: Additionally I would say that BP is right about additional complexity being something to avoid where practical. Every new complication adds another place where something could go wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be great if the Pandora 2 was totally modular and everything could be quickly and easily replaced or upgraded. You won't get this type of product from Sony, Nintendo, or Apple, because they want disposable products which are no longer socially responsible in a modern society, throwing away tons of electronics daily.

Craig is still working on boards and slowly shipping and I am as well.

I'll be away from Jun 30th until Jul 7th, so no Pandoras shipping during that time, but I shipped a bunch of regular ones yesterday and will probably ship more tomorrow.

Can you ask Craig to let us know if he gets more boards shipped from Circuit Co?

And also ED, did they find out what went wrong with their prod processes in regard to the Wifi problems?

Many thanks for all your updates.

Can you ask Craig to let us know if he gets more boards shipped from Circuit Co?

I don't think he does yet, AFAIR the only real way to tell that they shipped is the tracking confirmation.

And also ED, did they find out what went wrong with their prod processes in regard to the Wifi problems?

They were still working on that on Friday, I'll ask for an update today.

How long does it usually take from despatch of the boards from CC to arrival in the UK? Would I be correct in thinking that this could take a couple of weeks?

Craig put on twitter that he was expecting boards to arrive this week.

Ah, okay, didn't know that :)

How long does it usually take from despatch of the boards from CC to arrival in the UK? Would I be correct in thinking that this could take a couple of weeks?

Normally, if customs don't cause any issues (usually they don't but they do random inspections sometimes that take a while), it's a max of five days.

Thanks ED for the reply. Hoping my premium will come in a couple of weeks then.... :D

hey guys

do you think I should be okay if I order an premium in 2 weeks?

thanks

Back