Which Will You Buy?

Which handheld are you most likely to purchase?

• Pandora

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wiz

• Both

• Neither

• Undecided

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pandora.
From what i've seen the Wiz is just an ordinary handheld, nothing special about it.
The Pandora is much more functional.

I was intrigued when I saw the article, but then I lost all interest once I saw the system stats. Yes the processor seems to be in the same class as the pandora, but with the same low-resolution screen, no wireless ability, WORSE-looking controlls than the gp2x (I'd be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one, but I'm *really* skeptical about the tiny shoulder buttons in particular), half the ram, and of course the big one, no keyboard I just don't see it as being worthwhile.

If the pandora project didn't exist, I'd be giving it a closer look, but how many more applications (games) can you support by doubling-ish the processor speed? Heck, I had a porting project I was working on for the gp2x, but I abandoned it because of the screen resolution (after posting the source publicly so someone else can work with it if they want).

Pandora is it as far as I'm concerned, even though I won't be able to get one at launch.

Wiz?

No wireless. Less space than a nomad pandora. Lame.

However, can someone start a thread/flamewar/bitchfest about the possibilities of a Wiz emulator for Pandora, those official games don't look too bad..... :rolleyes:

Edit: did anyone else notice how many people were talking about Pandora on the Slashdot article about the Wiz? I'm more scared than ever that I might not be able to get one of the first 3000.

sindbad said:
I'm only interested in the non-gaming capabilities of the pandora. The Wiz would be completely useless to me.
This applies to me, as well. I originally bought my gp2x for gaming, but I found myself using it for video, music, and e-books more than anything else. I picked up a Nokia N800 when I decided I wanted something for handheld web browsing, too. The N800 has been great for everything other than gaming, and I view the pandora as being an upgrade to it.

The pandora should be equal at video and e-books, and it could easily be superior at audio (the N800 has a slight hum from the built-in amp). I'm mainly waiting to see what the software will be like before ordering. If someone gets it to run Debian-armel, I'll be very happy. I'd really like to see Maemo run on it. But, any linux with a package manager and apps for internet, video, audio, and e-books would be good enough, really.

Last edited by a moderator:
$179.99 for the 2.8" screen Wiz is :eek:
$129.99 and they might have a chance, but this little guy is destined for an overstock
given the awful double D-pads.

Pandora is the only realistic option. B)

Pandora.

I want true Amiga emulation, Pandora will give me that with its built-in keyboard. Also for C64, Vic20, Atari ST etc...

Also videos will be much better to watch on the Pandora's screen than the Wiz's, especially widescreen.

I've also had quite a few situations where I've thought 'if only I had a
Pandora right now'. Can't see myself having such thoughts about the Wiz.

I plan on getting a Pandora eventually. I am a bit worried on how useful the analog controls will work on the Pandora, being they are fairly far from the edge of the console and I really do not like the PSP analog controller (and the Pandora ones appear similar).

Not at all interested in THE WIZ. The screen size is a step backwards for me, and the dual joypads is not for me. Having said that, I hope them success!

I wonder if Pandora was hit with an unexpected delay till next year and the Wiz got good reviews would that sway more sales? Afterall everyone treats themselves to the Christmas gift they want that they know others won't buy them.

Seeing the Wiz for the first time made me laugh, cringe and then close the browser in disgust.

The Pandora has no equal in my opinion.

Peter R said:
This should be posted in the Other Consoles forum or Off Topic for two reasons. One, it isn't what this forum is for. Two, everyone here is biased as hell due to the forum you've made it in.
Agreed and moved.

The plain truth of the matter is that the Pandora offers a lot that the Wiz does not, while the Wiz offers nothing over the Pandora. The only tradeoff is price, but I've been willing to pay $330 for a Pandora for almost a year, so I'm not going to cheap out on it now.

A better question would really be "Wiz vs PSP", as they are much closer in specs, features, and price. The PSP has a much larger display, wireless connectivity, and of course native PSP games. The Wiz is much smaller (and therefore more portable), supports inexpensive SD cards, and has a touchscreen. I'd have a much tougher time deciding between those two devices.

Chip said:
A better question would really be "Wiz vs PSP", as they are much closer in specs, features, and price. The PSP has a much larger display, wireless connectivity, and of course native PSP games. The Wiz is much smaller (and therefore more portable), supports inexpensive SD cards, and has a touchscreen. I'd have a much tougher time deciding between those two devices.
I agree, though the bigger screen, internet and official games make the PSP superior to the Wiz in many ways.
The Wiz is more powerful and has a touch screen, which still makes it a worthy opponent.
I'd still go for PSP though.
Wireless connectivity is a must.

Thunder said:
Chip said:
I agree, though the bigger screen, internet and official games make the PSP superior to the Wiz in many ways.
The Wiz is more powerful and has a touch screen, which still makes it a worthy opponent.
I'd still go for PSP though.
Wireless connectivity is a must.

Wiz is useless for UMPCing. Nothing to decide for me. :pandora1:

Chip said:
while the Wiz offers nothing over the Pandora
In greek mythology pandora refers to the homebrewed woman. Wiz is not a whore

Pandora. When the wiz was announced, I was surprised because I didn't think GPH was working on another handheld. Then I realized, well, its basically an upgraded GP2X. It runs more MHZ than Pandora so I'd like to see how that pans out.
The pandora has a lot more to offer and seems to have more lasting value. The clamshell design is nice for protection, and WiFi allows infinite capabilities.

Overall, I'm not fully happy with GPH's involvement with the community -- they seem a little detached from it. Like, where did they get the idea for dual D-PAD anyway? Can't blame them too much; being in South Korea and all. The Pandora seems to be tightly knit into the community, so support will likely be grandiose.

I am going with the pandora- maybe the wiz later, but I want the more linux-ie functions of the pandora (with an actual keyboard) and the analog controllers- the wiz does look nice and like I said I may get both in the long run- but I want the UI of the pandora as well as the dual SD slots and the clamshell design

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back