Which Will You Buy?

Which handheld are you most likely to purchase?

• Pandora

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wiz

• Both

• Neither

• Undecided

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey

anexanhume said:
For the spec sheet on the first page, wouldn't it be fair to include a line for flash support since Wiz supports it and pandora is only speculative?
From what I read on wikipedia it says... "The Wiz is planned to have Flash Player 7 support at launch.", but I will beleive this when I see it. Again, the operative word here is planned, and as I don't trust GPH I think it would be likely that it won't make it for launch and it will most likely not support all features/specifications of flash. I mean it's a massive project, just checkout the specification document that is now available to the public.

edit
After checking out the source and seeing this information was most likely originally gathered from the brochure, I see some creative editor of wikipedia has added the words planned and at launch, these are only assumptions. Although you would normally assume these things when seen on a brochure, I do not :p.

Hmm, if they do somehow manage to make a decent port of flash then it will be interesting to see if they make it opensource and allow it to be ported to the Pandora. edit: Maybe it will be based on the gnash flash player on linux or something, but it didn't seem to work very well when I tried it not so long ago.

Anyhows I would just advise anyone who is interested in the GP2X Wiz to wait and see how things pan out. But yea, I just don't trust GPH since I seen how things went when I hung out at the official GP2X forums before the GP2X was released.

edit
BTW, if things do pan out okay and the controls are fine then I think the GP2X Wiz would be okay. Although I would definitely prefer the Pandora as I think it has more to offer.

cyas

Last edited by a moderator:
I already have a working Flash 7 player on my prototype (something they have licensed).

Have you never noticed how all the ports of open source flash players run pretty damn poorly on anything other than reasonably modern PCs? I think people must be running out of things to complain about now if this is all you can find.

It's cool that they could create a flash player, and even more so that they might be living up to what they're advertising (the GP2X box mentioned the ability to play WMAs way before it was possible, so I don't blame the guy for being skeptical). I also think it's cool they shipped units out to various homebrew artists as well because I am also not a huge fan of emulation. I think they're doing a decent job with this unit, it's just not what it could have been.

I think when it comes down to it though, I'm just a huge sucker for standard ports, the Pandora can be charged through a USB (with a regular cable, so if I take it to someone's house, I can probalby count on them already having a cable there), it has a 3.5mm audio jack which supports every pair of headphones and audio cable I own. The two SD card ports will be good for moving photos from the digital camera around while on vacation, and I can't wait to play Cortex Command multiplayer with USB joysticks going through it's full sized USB host connector. Honestly, I think the only thing I will need an adapter for is TV-out. I'd rather not need that, but can live with it seeing as they've already covered personal audio and charging via very standard means (and those are the two most common functions which I would want to be as convenient as possible).

Orkie said:
Have you never noticed how all the ports of open source flash players run pretty damn poorly on anything other than reasonably modern PCs? I think people must be running out of things to complain about now if this is all you can find.
Ok you are probably right about that :ph34r:

But that doesn't change the fact that it has a 2.5mm head phone jack :p

Wiz I think, I'm sure (hope) that most devs who made the GP2X what it is can recompile all the good stuff onto the Wiz. I like the size and the screen and hope the buttons can be sorted. I am not fussed about wifi etc, its to small for that and it'll zap the battery. Headphones aint a problem, I have loads of 2.5mm ones and adaptors from a few phones I've had in the past.

I dont technically need an Pandora, I have an EeePC for my portable internet needs but I'll see how it goes. I always fancied the Pandora as being a little to powerful for the majority of emulators etc. If theres no major issues, I may get it anyway :)

Just gotta sell my first edition GP2X and JXD301 (that sadly never took off when they discontinued them so quickly)

...Both ! *dreams*...

...none :( ... *cruel reality*

maybe a second hand f200 :unsure:

Well , I wasn"t much into the latest devices on the way and dont know the details much. Pandora is a very strong overall device with lots of functions and keyboard , which is also intended for retro pc emulation etc.(which I am not into). I"d definitely buy one if was some cheaper (or if I wasn"t broken). But somehow looks like a super mini multiple purpose laptop to me , rather than a portable emulation device which you"d throw in and carry in your pocket... New gph device would be better if it had one single dpad and 6 regular , 2 shoulder buttons which would be perfect for also 6 button games such as cps2... By the way rechargable battery is a turn off for me in both , since it means it is hard to find after its production is over , and you have nothing to do after it is depleted for , say in long travels.

I wonder what happened to the "gp2x replacement project" ,which would be compatible with gp2x apps and have smaller case with dpad etc... has it been given up because of upcoming wiz and pandora ?

I'm getting a Pandora for sure... the Wiz doesn't really interest me that much.

trooper said:
chad78 said:
Classic Gamer said:
sig
Your sig that "supports good grammar". Has "dont" spelled without an apostrophe.

You mean spelt ?. :rolleyes:

Trooper

Spelled and spelt are both correct ;)

chad78 said:
Classic Gamer said:
sig
Your sig that "supports good grammar". Has "dont" spelled without an apostrophe.

The people with the "type out your DAMN (always in caps, for emphasis) words" signatures are usually pretty stupid, its no sense reasoning with them

An apostrophe is punctuation. So presumably "dont" is incorrectly punctuated rather than incorrectly spelled/spelt. Alternatively, you could say that "do not" has been incorrectly contracted to "dont" rather than "don't". ;)

"Spelled" tends to be used in American English rather than British English, which tends to use "spelt". "Two nations separated by a common language."

Either way, I couldn't care less as my grammar, spelling and punctuation are not perfect.

Just a thought though: Should the device be called Wiz' if it's an abbreviation? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back