Openpandora Vs Gamepark Holdings Wiz

Rayek said:
No, I think it's more that you can't hold more than two buttons down at a time with a D-Pad-style input. Even more restrictive, you can't hold two buttons down at a time that aren't RIGHT next to one another. It's divided into separate buttons on all those "console veteran's" controllers for a reason.
How can you press two non-adjacent buttons at the same time, with any kind of controller? I've seen this brought up a lot, what's the idea? Giant thumbs?

Rayek said:
quasist said:
And most of gamers usualy want GAMES for existing hardware.
Are you talking about the fact that GPH paid developers to make software for the Wiz? The Pandora is a community driven piece of hardware. There will be plenty of homebrew projects started as soon as all the folks who ordered one get one.

So now you hold it against GPH for handing out Wiz prototypes to the people who'll basically do the launch titles? Didn't the OpenPandora team do the same thing? So what's wrong with that?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Rayek said:
No, I think it's more that you can't hold more than two buttons down at a time with a D-Pad-style input. Even more restrictive, you can't hold two buttons down at a time that aren't RIGHT next to one another. It's divided into separate buttons on all those "console veteran's" controllers for a reason.
Can you name a pair game that was made in last 10 years that requires constanly pressing together opposite action buttons on right side of gamepad? SEGA that made sonic with A+B+C combo is no longer even makes consoles :)

Rayek said:
quasist said:
And most of gamers usualy want GAMES for existing hardware.
Are you talking about the fact that GPH paid developers to make software for the Wiz? The Pandora is a community driven piece of hardware. There will be plenty of homebrew projects started as soon as all the folks who ordered one get one. Not only that, but there's a dev fund set up, which should encourage homebrew developers to do more; more than can be said for GPH.

Honestly, I'm with Dunny. I've had a GP2X f-100 since it was launched, and I 'upgraded' to the f-200 as soon as I could, and nothing was fixed. A whole slew of new options were available with the upgrade, but each new 'feature' was broken in some way. And in the process, it broke compatibility, and we had FLU+ BLU+ style incompatibilities as a result.

GPH had their chance, and even though I'd love to support every open source gaming project in existence, I've been bitten by them more than a few times. One tends to learn from his mistakes.

No, I meant regular gamers, not just GP2X users. Do you use different-colored Gameboys to play different games? :D
I bought my MKII GP2X when I heard that "XGP mini" will not be released. Got two brick situations but recovered without cradle.
My IMHO that all problems (softwared ones) is breeded mostly by different inmature SDK's and incomplete firmwares. Hopefully linux people like Orkie helps GPH that time.
Only real hardware problem I encoutered with gp2x - sound noise when playing video files on TV through cradle from USB stick (had hard time with no PC around)

P.S: It is funny that GPH bites you :D

Alex. said:
How can you press two non-adjacent buttons at the same time, with any kind of controller? I've seen this brought up a lot, what's the idea? Giant thumbs?
Or, maybe three buttons at once? Hmmm.

Regardless, on a D-pad, whether you'd want to or not, the option simply isn't there. How many times when you're playing an FPS do you hold down more than 3 buttons at once? If all you had to work with were D-Pads, it would kind of get annoying. I'm all for something that doesn't RESTRICT what you can do on it, even if it 'doesn't make sense'.

Alex. said:
So now you hold it against GPH for handing out Wiz prototypes to the people who'll basically do the launch titles? Didn't the OpenPandora team do the same thing? So what's wrong with that?!
I'm not holding it against them (its a good thing, actually), I'm simply stating that saying the Wiz is a better machine because it has software for it at launch doesn't make any sense. The Pandora will too. I was also mentioning the Dev fund that will hopefully propel homebrew development beyond launch and will probably kickstart community involvement a bit faster, something that the Wiz community would have to come up with on their own.

Do you use different-colored Gameboys to play different games?

You don't understand.

Rayek said:
I'm not holding it against them (its a good thing, actually), I'm simply stating that saying the Wiz is a better machine because it has software for it at launch doesn't make any sense. The Pandora will too. I was also mentioning the Dev fund that will hopefully propel homebrew development beyond launch and will probably kickstart community involvement a bit faster, something that the Wiz community would have to come up with on their own.
It's not homebrew if you're paid ;). Then it is called a commercial venture :p.

quasist said:
As I see:
1. It is a GP2X section of forum so GP2X should be protected here
2. potential pandora users are taking User Interface as a OS...
3. some potential pandora users do not know how to use forum quote feature
4. some potential pandora users asks me for drugs
5. me drink regular tea with honey (crafted by regular bees!)

By saing "potential users" I mean that pandora will not be released. Planes will crash, trains will be blown, factories burn, developers will become lepered ... just to protect world from some whore-named handheld device.

Someone piss in your cheerios this morning?

I will be getting a Wiz and a pandora and i also have a laptop and a television.

I can watch films on all of them cool so which do I decide is best?

Thats right no ONE is best! I cant take my tv on the train and im not going to watch all of my ATeam DVD's on my Wiz!(cant be bothered to rip and convert them all when I have a TV and DVD player)

The Wiz and pandora may both play games but just like my TV and a WIZ they have different aims and purposes. It isn't a straight up battle choose the one that suits your budget and purpose and be happy about that and be happy that the one you didnt choose exists...that's called choice and its great.

btw a game that uses buttons that are opposite each other would be King of fighters for dodging and you don't need a giant thumb just put the wiz on a table and press the buttons with your fingers(it also requires 3 buttons at one for charging your character up) if it were a solid dpad on the right then this game WOULD be unplayable and there are others!

Lets all try and get along :)

actually I'm going to add to what stu said, a lot of fighting games use more than 2 buttons that are on opposite side, not just KOF, and watching movies on this thing would be a blast, be better than my cowon d2, I dunno why people are acting like this is competition or one is just gonna drive each others business down the tube, personally either companies could have simply just not made either console and we could be back to just using nintendo, sony or sega.....

Back