What will you use your Pyra for?

Wrath Of Khan

Soul soother...
I'm thinking that if Ed pulls it off (he will) I'm hoping to have a sleeker more responsive mini pc. One on which web browsing is quick and the wi-fi is strong.

I'm hoping for a more polished software experience.

I will use the pyra for mp3's, browsing and perhaps even some writing, games too. Time will tell what emulators we will get. In short it may replace my phone for on the go internet; in built 3g being a plus.

Ah finally an interesting question :D

I am hoping to use my Pyra for an Ultra Portable PC:

• Web Browsing , checking email and various other internet things via 3G
  • Gaming (Of course this will dominate)
  • Storage of precious family videos (Not the only place though!)
  • For compiling cool games / applications :D
  • Most likely will take over audio playback in car via USB input as I can rsync my iTunes library.
  • It'd be nice to have access to the Android App Store as well!

I am hoping for a much better user experience, the Pandora OS is a mess (at the moment anyway) and the GUi needs to be shiny, robust and fun!

I still would rather use my iPhone for note taking and some other stuff as it syncs stuff back to iCloud and straight to my Mac Laptop but I will be looking for a more uniform solution to sync bookmarks across devices :D This may change but who knows yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mainly want it for things it doesn't even really have going for it yet, such as augmented reality.  I'd like to use the display as a pass through lens to view GPS positioned monsters.  It won't have a 3D monitor, so I won't be able to enjoy Nintendo 64 games quite as much as I did that time I played Banjo Kazooie in 3D, but maybe it will eventually be feasible for me to attach a tiny 3D monitor to my Pyra though, and accomplish all of the other required feats.

Im hoping i can use it like a laptop that i dont have to worry about if and when it will run out of power.

The portable audio aspect is the most important for me on the pandora, i imagine it will be with the pyra too.

Importing raw images from my camera and editing them on the fly would be amazing. This is where the form factor of even a 10" laptop takes away from in-the-field work.

I understand my desktop is a good place to do a lot of things, but its inherrently limited to when im in front of it.

I'm hoping that with a ubuntu or debian based system elements of the normal linux pc experience will be available. Since I use my Ubuntu laptop for browsing internet and watching youtube, these are two tasks I found simply not possible (?) on the pandora since anything flash based doesn't seem to work well with it, and even downloaded youtube videos don't work on it due to them being 720. However the Pyra will be able handle these tasks (in theory) So my goal for the Pyra is portable word processor, Mini Minecraft Rig and hopefully total laptop replacement!

on the pandora since anything flash based doesn't seem to work well with it, and even downloaded youtube videos don't work on it due to them being 720.
If you use The Tube on the repo you can download youtube videos at 360 or 480p and they usually work fine on the Pandora. 

This device has the potential to be the answer to my dreams. I don't know the tehnical details but I hope for mapable buttons/sticks in any program and dual boot with android and still having mapable controls in android.

I dream of playing flawless, no delay -->snes<-- (my favorite), also playing nes, n64, ps1, psp, android games, diablo 2 lod -modded, morrowind -modded, zdoom wads, hopefully some dual thumb shooters, disciples 1 ans 2. I also hope to be able to use multitrack audio editing, drawing with the touchscreen, photo editing, video editing, html editing, ftp transfer, writing on the go, alarms and timers, watching flash and other videos, browsing the net, listening to audio, reading ebooks, using calculator, watching slideshows of my pictures, downloading lots of things with wired internet, using wifi, video chatting, low res (640X480) video recording, audio recording, taking snapshots with webcam and generally heavily multitasking.

I also am wishing for:

an easy to use 'windows xp-like' user interface

triple boot: standard os/android/powersave e-reader mp3 player photo viewer mode

an accurate touchscreen with stylus and at least one good drawing/picture editing program

low res webcam for video recording, still shots, skype and yahoo messenger on android if not the main os

built in mic AND 3.5mm mic in jack

3.5mm headphone jack

manual volume wheel

easy press accurate durable keyboard

loud over-built 'unblowable' speaker

a powersaving mode that allows ebook reading, mp3 playback,photo viewing, calculator and clock/alarm/timer

The ability to 'hot swap' batteries

A lots of productive software (such as a word proccessor, ftp client, video editor, multitrack audio editor, firefox, opera, etc.) already added for we simpletons who are unfamiliar with linux but want to be able to use the Pyra for work too

A user manual explaing the basics of the os and how to add/remove software

the ability to play low requirement windows programs like diablo 2 (the dream would be to be able to play halo 1 too but I know it's probably not possible)

rca tv out

monitor out

mouse mapable to game controllers

Anyway however it turns out this is sure to become my favorite gadget. Thanks to all involved for taking the pandora concept to this important next step.

I'll figure it out when I get it. If it's like the Pandora, just about everything.

I am a little concerned that I won't "need" the pyra, since the Pandora does so much so well.

Probably the main advantage will be the higher res screen + 3G for on-the-go browsing. Unfortunately this would mean purchasing another sim card with data plan, so I might end-up just using my cell phone as a hotspot, as with the pandora.

RE: Tahatch, afaik no webcam or low-power OS (for mp3s, ebooks etc) is planned.

I am a little concerned that I won't "need" the pyra, since the Pandora does so much so well.
Well, you could "replace" your Pandora by the Pyra, though.  
Sell the Pandora? Blasphemy!  Hehe.

But seriously, I think there is a good chance the Pandora will be a collectors item in a few decades. And with the aluminum case durability will be very high. So I'm keeping it for a good while.

I think there is a good chance the Pandora will be a collectors item in a few decades.
I'd say we are all super biased here about that point. There's so much electronic junk being produced nowadays, it's a very big gamble to predict that anything is going to be super ultra valuable 20 years in the future.

I'll use it for everything I currently use my Pandora for (and benefit from the larger screen, faster cpu etc):

• Word processing (writing my book, meeting reports, etc)
  • Coding
  • Web browsing
  • E-mail, IRC, etc.
  • ssh / mosh to remote servers
  • Photo viewing / sorting (PIV)
  • Quick reference stuff: dictionary, calculator, etc
  • Improvised/adhoc solutions when no "big" computer is available: image manipulation in Gimp, PDF viewing, etc
  • The ultimate "active adapter": e.g. SD card reader, phone charger, connect anything to anything (not many devices have both a full USB host port and can act like a USB device)
  • Music
  • Games

I'll also use it for some things I currently use my phone for:

• GPS navigation
  • 3G internet access (e.g. create a wifi hotspot)
  • Texting (if good software is available for that)
  • Phone (if good software is available for that, and mic/speaker placement allows it)

I'll also use it for some things I currently use my laptop for:

• Downloading and watching movies
  • Connection to TV and beamer
  • Making and presenting slides (in LaTeX or LibreOffice Impress)

Back