What will Pyra replace for you?

Even the 1Ghz Pandora struggles with 480p h.264 encoding. The Pyra will be 3 times as powerful as the Pandora at single threaded applications. 1080p is 6 times the pixels as 480p. Unless something changes so that it can use more than just a single thread on the CPU for decoding 1080p probably won't happen, the CPU just couldn't handle it.

480p and 720p should be no problem, and non-h.264 encodings should be fine as well even up to 1080p.

edit: I'm also making the assumption that h.264 decoding is O(n) on the number of pixels. That could be completely wrong; if it only takes three times as much power to decode 6 times as many pixels then we won't have a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
With just raw CPU power and no optimization at all, I got 1080p h.264 decoding almost working fullspeed with smplayer on the omap5 dev board.. I was playing with smplayer's multi thread h.264 decoding settings. I know Ti states some kind of proper decoding can be done through some 2D acceleration or something.. but all I know that could be like the DSP on the Pandora and never really see the light of day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Either that or it will get donated to my place of work to be the portable telnet / serial gadget for managing switches.
I personally vote for this.  This is similar to one of my usage scenarios I am counting on the Pyra for (and one of the excuses I used for the Pandora).  I just hope it is sturdy enough and has decent 3g to fit all my other needs.

IPad..... That sounds like a ladies product
Wow.  I never thought of that before...  Kinda funny, but kinda gross. :unsure:
Well MadTV predicted it years before it actually came out.http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/27/ipad-video-madtv-predicte_n_438880.html
Wow, the fact that Apple called the device ipad after probalby knowing this sketch existed says something about their confidence in their marketing/brand building/brain washing machine. I am impressed.

With just raw CPU power and no optimization at all, I got 1080p h.264 decoding almost working fullspeed with smplayer on the omap5 dev board.. I was playing with smplayer's multi thread h.264 decoding settings. I know Ti states some kind of proper decoding can be done through some 2D acceleration or something.. but all I know that could be like the DSP on the Pandora and never really see the light of day.
That's semi-encouraging to hear though at how powerful it is. I have some 10-bit encodes at 1080p I'd enjoy watching on Pyra's 720p screen although I could redo them through MeGUI if needed to 8-bit 720p. 

It won't replace, but it will add I presume a media center for films and animes, a game console for my old games Roms, a motive for digging again and learn about programming, scripting in Linux (again !! ).

Pandora.. smart phone.. most of my laptops functions... because I'm using my laptop for watching downloaded YouTube videos.. however my girlfriend plans on getting one to use with a wacom cintiq as a drawing station in college. ( about a year from now)

Apart from the Pandora replacement, it will add some new features to my life I did not have because of related inconveniences.

A GPS system with a long battery life and exchangable batteries will be my main new use besides Dreamcast on the go.

My netbook or notebook may finally be completely replaced too.

Back